Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

The 7th? EA strikes again!

http://investor.ea.com/events.cfm?list=Future

We seriously have to wait another 6 days before we can peck at the transcript and argue the meaning of "is"?

I thought we were getting this pleasure today!
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I guess I won't be able to visit the forums for probably at least two weeks then soon.

Not these forums of course. These forums are always a pleasure to read!

On topic though, I am certainly curious to see the numbers - regardless of subs, the population has certainly drifted towards certain servers, and there are certainly less players on a lot of servers now, but that doesn't mean less subs. Our server is Dead, but I still see a few different people at various times of the day that must only log in once or twice a week.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think we'll see to large of a change in numbers. Some of the comments from members of the dev team that I have listened to on podcasts sound like there hasn't been much of a change at all. The additional releases in new regions might have negated addition people leaving.

I know that a lot of people don't believe them or have something against BW, but I believe their statement about concurrent users declining, but not overall subscriptions.
    Last edited by Dakia; 2012-05-01 at 01:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Dakia. I don't see a change. My server is as busy as ever, and I regularly meet new people to the game. Concurrent may be down, but overall doesn't seem to have changed.

But we won't know for a week! So might as well just wait it out and enjoy the game. And, like with Blizzard, does it really matter that much to you? As long as you're enjoying yourself, I don't see a reason to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    I don't think we'll see to large of a change in numbers. Some of the comments from members of the dev team that I have listened to on podcasts sound like there hasn't been much of a change at all. The additional releases in new regions might have negated addition people leaving.

I know that a lot of people don't believe them or have something against BW, but I believe their statement about concurrent users declining, but not overall subscriptions.
    The reason some don't believe it's still 1.7 is in part due to the fact that even if you cancel or try to cancel you are given 30 free days which on you account page shows you as an active subscriber.

Besides that it's really hard to believe that the exact same number of people joined as who left over the course of 5 months.

edit - for 5hits and giggles call in and try to cancel. They wont let you. Your account will remain active no matter what you do and be counted as a sub do to the fact that you can log in.
    Last edited by bcbully; 2012-05-01 at 01:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbully View Post
    The reason some don't believe it's still 1.7 is in part due to the fact that even if you cancel or try to cancel you are given 30 free days which on you account page shows you as an active subscriber.

Besides that it's really hard to believe that the exact same number of people joined as who left over the course of 5 months.

edit - for 5hits and giggles call in and try to cancel. They wont let you. Your account will remain active no matter what you do and be counted as a sub do to the fact that you can log in.
    Well that does let them pad the subscriber numbers, but as long as they're not forcing you to remain active financially after those 30 days, I don't see a problem. For the earnings call, they'd be looking at pre May or April probably, so anything done now would have little effect on the sub numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 1.7 has always seemed rather credible to me because it seems such an odd number to stick too. 1.5 or 2 would seem less credible simply because its sounds more generic to me. Given 1.2, opening in new markets, and all the "free" time they've thrown about? Well, I would actually be kind of surprised if they haven't managed to reach two million.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

for 5hits and giggles call in and try to cancel. They wont let you. Your account will remain active no matter what you do and be counted as a sub do to the fact that you can log in.
    "Account Active" meaning available to log into does not mean "Current Subscription."

And if there's game time left on your subscription, they're not going to just throw it away.

My WOW account (which is actually a Battle.net account or whatever) is still open and active even though my sub has been canceled for a long time now.

Since you had to have an active account on April 22nd to get the free month, explain to me how it will effect the numbers for Q4 which ended march 31st. Go ahead, I will wait ol financial wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    "Account Active" meaning available to log into does not mean "Current Subscription."

And if there's game time left on your subscription, they're not going to just throw it away.

My WOW account (which is actually a Battle.net account or whatever) is still open and active even though my sub has been canceled for a long time now.
    Yes for swtor it does. There is an article out there interview Zoller or another big guy stating exactly that, "Account Active meaning available to log into does mean current subscription."

My google fu is weak, but I'm sure it can be found.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to know if this includes the free 30 days as I had planned to take a break for a while, but because of the free month, I am currently still subbed.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I want to know if this includes the free 30 days as I had planned to take a break for a while, but because of the free month, I am currently still subbed.
    I think that the numbers are as of 3/31, but I'm not 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    No, free month was rewarded April 22nd, Q4 ended March 31st. Also, just so we can get this out of the way now Q1 is April, May and June so the free month will not effect the next earnings call which will deal with Q1. Anybody who says otherwise is having problems reading a calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by monostat View Post
    Since you had to have an active account on April 22nd to get the free month, explain to me how it will effect the numbers for Q4 which ended march 31st. Go ahead, I will wait ol financial wizard.
    This ^^^^^^

Infracted ~ Dakia
    Last edited by Dakia; 2012-05-01 at 02:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, free month was rewarded April 22nd, Q4 ended March 31st. Also, just so we can get this out of the way now Q1 is April, May and June so the free month will not effect the next earnings call which will deal with Q1. Anybody who says otherwise is having problems reading a calendar.
    Ok, so it will count the people who chose the 3 month option, which I have no proof to this whatsoever apart from people I have spoken to, but isn't the 3 month option the most popular one?

This is all true but I seem to remember it was heavily debated after the last earnings call as to when the sub numbers were actually pulled. That quarter ended Dec. 31 but many people said they sub numbers from that call were up to date as of Jan. 31. If that was in fact the case then the sub numbers for this next call would be accurate up to April 30, which would then include the free month accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitepepper View Post
    This is all true but I seem to remember it was heavily debated after the last earnings call as to when the sub numbers were actually pulled. That quarter ended Dec. 31 but many people said they sub numbers from that call were up to date as of Jan. 31. If that was in fact the case then the sub numbers for this next call would be accurate up to April 30, which would then include the free month accounts.

You can't just change the definition of your quarterly earnings call, if they offered numbers beyond Dec. 31st they did so in response to a question asked. With SWTOR launching on Dec 20th it would be fair to ask the question, how many people are still playing after the 30 days offered with initial purchase.

You can't just change the definition of your quarterly earnings call, if they offered numbers beyond Dec. 31st they did so in response to a question asked. With SWTOR launching on Dec 20th it would be fair to ask the question, how many people are still playing after the 30 days offered with initial purchase.
    Actually, they can give the numbers for the game whenever they please, or not at all. They never give exact numbers anyway, and they won't talk about trends either. No one is changing the definition of a "quarterly earnings call" (as if that even had a definition to begin with). The numbers from the game don't have to be from a specific time, and I am sure they are going to be the best possible number they can give without outright lying about them (all companies do this).

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there is still some debate over what Frank meant by "currently," during the earnings call on February 1st.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    Actually, they can give the numbers for the game whenever they please, or not at all. They never give exact numbers anyway, and they won't talk about trends either. No one is changing the definition of a "quarterly earnings call" (as if that even had a definition to begin with). The numbers from the game don't have to be from a specific time, and I am sure they are going to be the best possible number they can give without outright lying about them (all companies do this).
    When your quarterly reports have always been structured to end on a specific date you cant just go "ohh wait now it ends on Jan 31 now" it does not work that way. You are however right that they do not need do disclose exact numbers, which is why I said their response as to subscriber numbers was in response to a question asked. There are laws that govern these things and changing the dates of your quarterly reports is a big no no.