Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Fall damage traits

So I'm not seeing any discussion about this, but... now that people have played the beta, how often did you find yourself taking fall damage, especially in PvP? The only times I took fall damage in PvE were when I was stupidly trying to travel somewhere and mis-judged the height of a drop.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quite rarely did I take any serious fall damage. I did get killed during a jumping puzzle, but that's to be expected I guess.

I died 3 times from fall damage, and i took fall damage all the time.

But the traits are really really weird.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    So I'm not seeing any discussion about this, but... now that people have played the beta, how often did you find yourself taking fall damage, especially in PvP? The only times I took fall damage in PvE were when I was stupidly trying to travel somewhere and mis-judged the height of a drop.
    I just had but a few times drop damage. I wouldn't take any traits concerning fall damage if possible. I DO like the animation when you fall from fairly high (flat on stomach). I lolled.

Sometimes, but that's because I'm taking short cuts... or jumping from waterfalls....

10+ Year Old Account
    I took fall damage once in PvE and once in PvP. I really don't understand the decision behind these traits.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Emily took quite a lot of fall damage, but that was me not really paying attention when running around on rooftops and the outside of towers.

She even died twice.

I don't feel like these will make it to the actual game. There are very rarely situations where you'll want to purposefully take fall damage in order to activate the trait, there's also no guarantee the trait will actually be useful when you do take fall damage so it seems a bit odd to use one of your slots for it.

The only parts I can see them being useful are defending keeps in WvW and in Battle of Kyhlo, when running out of the clock tower fast... Still, never used them so I wouldn't know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZerOKami View Post
    The only parts I can see them being useful are defending keeps in WvW and in Battle of Kyhlo, when running out of the clock tower fast... Still, never used them so I wouldn't know.
    Hrm... even then, it might be better to get something else, from the sound of it. I'm honestly shocked they chose to make something as important as a major trait only happen when you take fall damage. I figured if it happened fairly often in PvP it would be worth taking, but it looks like this is just one of those not-serious-just-for-fun kind of options that developers can't seem to resist.

If they make it also activate when you are stunned/dazed/knocked down/knocked back/otherwise unable to use your skills, then it might be worth it.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Killed myself in DR a few times from fall damage. I wish you could have a chance to 'roll' damage away by doing your dodge at a critical moment and lowered the damage by a certain amount. It would take skill to do so, the timing would be a short time between when you hit the ground and you'd have to judge it correctly.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Do these traits trigger from enemy Launch effects?

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Stuck to PvE only, but never died of fall damage. I fell a few times when dodging in the wrong direction, and some more when derping with autorun on, but never anything that took me past more than half.

I gotta say though, I love how it actually makes you hit the group and stay down for a second or two. That, along with the sliding down slopes, helps make the physics believable.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    Honestly, if you are dumb enough to jump of something that obviously high up and you die from fall damage you're special. And if someone manages to knock you off something really high then they out positioned you and kudos for them.
    I must be super special and a masochist, as in wow I'd fly as high as I can then drop and kill myself over and over and over till my gear was broken because there was nothing (I wanted) to do then log out and deal with real life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    Killed myself in DR a few times from fall damage. I wish you could have a chance to 'roll' damage away by doing your dodge at a critical moment and lowered the damage by a certain amount. It would take skill to do so, the timing would be a short time between when you hit the ground and you'd have to judge it correctly.
    I did try to time my Shadowstep just right for this, but I never did seem to remember when I actually did die from fall damage.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    Honestly, if you are dumb enough to jump of something that obviously high up and you die from fall damage you're special. And if someone manages to knock you off something really high then they out positioned you and kudos for them.
    What you're missing is that these traits activate from any fall damage, not just when you die.

I did try to time my Shadowstep just right for this, but I never did seem to remember when I actually did die from fall damage.

What you're missing is that these traits activate from any fall damage, not just when you die.
    I noticed that even with SS you'd still take fall damage :<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    I noticed that even with SS you'd still take fall damage :<
    Well snap. So much for that plan. Guess I have to actually not be so reckless. ><

YOU'VE SEEN WHAT I DO IN LOL!

Deleted
    I wondered if you'd take a tiny amount of fall damage if jumping off of a roof or something...so that you could jump in to the middle of a crowd (in PvP).

Well snap. So much for that plan. Guess I have to actually not be so reckless. ><

YOU'VE SEEN WHAT I DO IN LOL!
    Attack the tank with no team mates near and all 5 of them right next to you. I still facepalm when Kitiy brings that up.
    Doesn't seem like a lot of abilities can stop you from taking fall damage, maybe the mesmer blink might be able to, but it's just their version of SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    I wondered if you'd take a tiny amount of fall damage if jumping off of a roof or something...so that you could jump in to the middle of a crowd (in PvP).
    Stalking people below you while you're on a roof of a building was so much fun on my thief. I just wish you could use abilities while in the middle of a jump (not fall) animation. I typically used my throwing knife on them from the roof and steal from them, and release my deadly blade arts upon them. Leaping death blossom can confuse so people if you use it two or more times in a row. Pretty funny.
    Last edited by Allanon the Mystic; 2012-05-01 at 09:27 PM.

Deleted
    To me, they seem to favor the kamikaze 'bomb" kind of player, the ones who drops in from a height, right in a group of people. I don't take those traits seriously, as their use will be very limited. There aren't always mobs where you take fall damage, nor is there always a height where there are mobs. And deliberality jumping from cliffs to gain an effect just seems like too much of a hassle to me.