Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    Im not missing anything. I am sorry, let me spell out what my post meant. If you are stupid enough to fall off things to a point that you are taking damage then you deserve said damage. Having traits that do anything against fall damage should be unnecessary for intelligent people.
    Even intelligent people make mistakes from time to time :< but I agree that I think the traits are kinda useless, as you shouldn't be jumping from certain heights to really do anything unless they are there to help with certain puzzles.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Deleted
    I'm sure I remember a recent interview when they mentioned these traits in passing - in the context that they were cool.

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 10:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    Stalking people below you while you're on a roof of a building was so much fun on my thief. I just wish you could use abilities while in the middle of a jump (not fall) animation. I typically used my throwing knife on them from the roof and steal from them, and release my deadly blade arts upon them. Leaping death blossom can confuse so people if you use it two or more times in a row. Pretty funny.
    Fun, fun, fun :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    I'm sure I remember a recent interview when they mentioned these traits in passing - in the context that they were cool.
    Yeah, it's because of that interview that I'm asking. They basically said they're keeping them because they're cool, but what I'm thinking right now is "Okay, sure, that's cool, but it comes at the cost of another trait, are people realistically going to use them over other traits?"

I'm thinking the answer is no, which means it's wasteful of our 12 trait choices in that trait line. It wouldn't be so bad if it was something that ALSO happened when you are disabled from using your moves, but... right now it serves no real purpose.

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 04:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    Im not missing anything. I am sorry, let me spell out what my post meant. If you are stupid enough to fall off things to a point that you are taking damage then you deserve said damage. Having traits that do anything against fall damage should be unnecessary for intelligent people.
    Apparently you are missing something. These traits aren't about reducing fall damage, they're about activating a special effect or attack on fall damage. Big difference.

Example: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Toxic_Landing
    Create a Poison Cloud when you take falling damage.
    If taking fall damage means you do some kind of AoE attack, or an AoE blind, or something like that, then suddenly taking fall damage on purpose has strategic value - I'm trying to judge if the strategic value is actually there. If it's not, then these traits are worthless and need to be replaced, no matter how cool they are.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-05-01 at 09:48 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    I died of fall damage once. It was a very short fall actually but I took surprising amounts of damage. Thankfully the nearest waypoint was just a minute away!

10+ Year Old Account
    I find those traits incredibly useless and want to slap whoever created them.

Deleted
    I feel like there should almost be a 'fun' trait line (read minor glyphs) for things like this to go in. Otherwise no one will ever pick these traits. Ever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    Emily took quite a lot of fall damage, but that was me not really paying attention when running around on rooftops and the outside of towers.

snipsnap

She even died twice.
    faceplant

bonkers

A lot of the time I took minor damage when taking shortcuts. But none of it was ever really in combat.

I nearly died from fall damage running down one of the big DR staircases with a speed buff. I guess those stairs are really steep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    A lot of the time I took minor damage when taking shortcuts. But none of it was ever really in combat.
    Yeeeeah I'm hoping we get something else, or else certain trait lines only have 11 traits in reality. :S
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

These are WvW traits, you take fall damage in the middle of the enemy when going for a counter-assault from the keep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    These are WvW traits, you take fall damage in the middle of the enemy when going for a counter-assault from the keep.
    Well that's why I made this thread - have people found those situations to be fairly commonplace? I admit I didn't take the time to play WvWvW, so I was wondering what observations other people had made.

How often did you find yourself dropping down among enemies like that? I imagine most people would GREATLY prefer to just switch to a ranged AoE weapon, no?

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Well that's why I made this thread - have people found those situations to be fairly commonplace? I admit I didn't take the time to play WvWvW, so I was wondering what observations other people had made.

How often did you find yourself dropping down among enemies like that? I imagine most people would GREATLY prefer to just switch to a ranged AoE weapon, no?
    I played about 8 hours of WvW over weekend with a guild and alliance guild. There was around 30 or so of us in the vent most of the time.

Keep and tower fights typically went like this:

1. We see enemy tower in control.
    2. Check supply among people.
    3. Go in. Build a siege weapon and burn down the gate.
    4. Take over tower.
    5. Push to the next keep, encounter resistance.
    6. Get to the keep doors, get pushed back by massing enemy.
    7. Enter the tower you already took over, take defensive positions on ramparts.
    8. Long range fight for a while, try to get some people down at the gate and then put a lot of AoE on their bodies to prevent ressing.
    9. Once raid leader judges there's enough dead on enemy side, jump down from ramparts and push enemy back off your gate (fall damage, crucial moment, if you get crushed, you lose most of your defenders with no way to get them back up).
    10. go to 5.

Notably we were playing on a server that controlled between 70 and 90% of all points at all times, so most of our fights were in the towers east and west of the main keep in the enemy world that is not takeable as it has no destructible doors. So most fights were pushing to and from their keep and the two towers as well as the keep below the enemy main keep. So we did get to defend against what appeared to be nearly endless hordes coming from the enemy keep, and the only way to keep tower's gate at reasonable health levels was to push the enemy horde off the gate every once in a while to give it time to repair.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-05-02 at 12:25 AM.

Deleted
    Not once did I take fall damage in PvP as far as I remember. I don't see a point to those traits, no.

Are the walls in keeps high enough to take fall damage?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Are the walls in keeps high enough to take fall damage?
    You're implying you'd want to jump down from a wall onto a group of enemies?

Maybe with a group of allies yourself I guess...
    Engineers, I notice, drop a barrage of grenades when they take fall damage. That could be pretty devastating. O_o

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    You're implying you'd want to jump down from a wall onto a group of enemies?

Maybe with a group of allies yourself I guess...
    Ya not by yourself lol, but maybe with a group of people, and with a lot of them also having the fall damage traits. I think it'd be interesting to see if or how effective it'd be.

Quote Originally Posted by HatoraDe View Post
    I don't feel like these will make it to the actual game. There are very rarely situations where you'll want to purposefully take fall damage in order to activate the trait, there's also no guarantee the trait will actually be useful when you do take fall damage so it seems a bit odd to use one of your slots for it.
    How about every single time you sally from a keep? When one of our keeps was under attack we'd sneak in the other door, then we'd secretly group up at the top of the stairs, and as a group 50+ strong we'd all leap down onto our foe. Most of them were auto-attacking the door and not prepared to fight. It was a slaughter. I'd totally take some fall damage trait if it made this tactic even more awesome :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I find those traits incredibly useless and want to slap whoever created them.
    Not particularly. I haven't tried WvW yet, but in both scenarios, when I would escape from a 3v1 attempt on my life, I would end up taking short cuts by jumping off of buildings. I never took the falling damage traits, but all of them seem to be good against people trying to chase you. I could have sworn there was a thief one where you put down a smoke cloud that blinds an enemy when you take falling damage. I could be wrong, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    Not particularly. I haven't tried WvW yet, but in both scenarios, when I would escape from a 3v1 attempt on my life, I would end up taking short cuts by jumping off of buildings. I never took the falling damage traits, but all of them seem to be good against people trying to chase you. I could have sworn there was a thief one where you put down a smoke cloud that blinds an enemy when you take falling damage. I could be wrong, though.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Descent_of_Shadows

Blinding Powder causes both blind and stealth. Blind for 5 seconds, stealth for 3.