Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    So was WoW on release, you had to figure out pretty much everything yourself.
    And that sucked equally hard.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    So was WoW on release, you had to figure out pretty much everything yourself.
    There's a big difference though. WoW was and still is fairly linear. You couldn't do much wrong, because only a small part of the game opened up at a time. Unless you just ran off in some random direction, there wasn't much you could do wrong.

In GW2, you do the first level in a small area, then you are released to the whole world.

Well, I think they'll have a problem on their hands if they do not make some sort of tutorial for the beginner. I am a seasoned gamer from mmorpgs and console games alike, and even such an awesome and violent and open world game as Red dead redemption offers tutorials, but as part of the storyline. How to handle horses, weapons, how to interract with the world.

I felt completely lost in GW2 at the start, and that meant I couldn't just dive right in and have FUN. I have been following this game for so many years, and yet when I logged in I realised I didn't know sh't about anything. My first impression as a result was that it was clunky and confusing, making me miss my first week in WoW where everything was so well explained and carefully laid out to not scare away new players. It didn't feel like that epic new game at the start, but instead a confusing game where nobody bothered with seeing to it that I got immersed into it properly.

After a while though, being this seasoned player that I am, things started to make sense and I began enjoying myself IMMENSELY! I have not had this much fun in a new game for ages! It went from being a mediocre first experience of the game, to an epic one...and withdrawal symptoms once the beta was over.

But, had I not been used to games, if THIS had been my first mmorpg and not WoW, then I would probably have stopped playing at the human starting area with all that raining, noise and not a single clue about what to do and nobody to guide me but a voice repeating itself from an NPC. This might get the e-peeners going "Oh lol but we no want WoW-players or n00bs in our epix game so hurr hurr confusing is good!"...it's not. Anet wants this game to succeed and become big, then they HAVE to lure people in even if they've never set foot in an mmorpg or game at all before.

So yes, + on the exploring and the open, alive world (save for loading screens) and incredible detail, this game will take a long time to feel repetative (but I have no doubt that day will come, hopefully 5-6 years down the line) but they do need to make the introduction smoother and less "JUMP IN THERE NAOW MADAFAKA AN' DO UR THANG!!!". :P

Quote Originally Posted by rades View Post
    Enjoy it while it lasts, I am sure Anet will make the game more user friendly (ie, hand holding) so as not to overwhelm new players that would feel overwhelmed and give up
    They will surely do some tutorias aimed at new players. Which will be a very good thing. At least show people that they can dodge ^^ I doubt there will be much hand holding or that difficulty of the game will suffer.

The way GW2 is designed, the player starts to learn advanced skills (positioning, situational awareness, attack setup) from level 1, because they are very important to survive dynamic events and open-world bosses. In games like WoW, you only start learning these skills when you get to the max level and start doing harder dungeons or raiding.
    Last edited by mafao; 2012-05-03 at 11:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Well, I think they'll have a problem on their hands if they do not make some sort of tutorial for the beginner. I am a seasoned gamer from mmorpgs and console games alike, and even such an awesome and violent and open world game as Red dead redemption offers tutorials, but as part of the storyline. How to handle horses, weapons, how to interract with the world.
    Yep, I agree completely with what you have posted here. I found it immensely fun once you got the hang of the game but you constantly run into, ok I want to do this now.. but how in the hell do I do that..

The developer talking about how they plan to drop events into the world without telling anyone sounded pretty epic, as did him saying areas will evolve over time and change, meaning when you start a new character it will be a different experience in the start zone. That sounded pretty epic. I like the idea of a world that isn't static.. always changing.

Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    There's a big difference though. WoW was and still is fairly linear. You couldn't do much wrong, because only a small part of the game opened up at a time. Unless you just ran off in some random direction, there wasn't much you could do wrong.

In GW2, you do the first level in a small area, then you are released to the whole world.
    And yet at level 10 in WoW, I decided I wanted to see what was on the other side of a huge cliff, ran into Southern barrens and got horribly murdered and eaten by lions.

According to my brothers (both played since day 1 in WoW), there was a time when that game was considered very new and confusing and you COULD do wrong when leveling and make it a lot harder than it would be if you did it properly, and the world was NEW and felt HUGE. Maybe that's why it took me 2 months from 1 to 80 ;d. Then Blizzard improved the tutorials and starting areas and all that jazz, making it seem too linear and hand-held for some, but by God does it help completely new players to dive in.

The start of games shouldn't be designed with veterans in mind, but with the newbies.

I spent hours and hours finding secret passage ways to secret jump puzzles and I found 4 in 3 days between 2 zones and took me 2 hours to complete one because it was so hard.

I loved it.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    The developer talking about how they plan to drop events into the world without telling anyone sounded pretty epic, as did him saying areas will evolve over time and change, meaning when you start a new character it will be a different experience in the start zone. That sounded pretty epic. I like the idea of a world that isn't static.. always changing.
    ...if that's really true, if they will change the world and not let it stay the same for 5 years just for the sake of it, then I might just shed some tears of joy.

I loved it, just running around getting downscaled to my slacker m8s doing Events.
    Someone should spam their twitter though, and say the shouldnt nerf anything! Playing vs same level mobs or even 1-2 levels higher should be hard if you dont dodge right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockbete View Post
    I loved it, just running around getting downscaled to my slacker m8s doing Events.
    Someone should spam their twitter though, and say the shouldnt nerf anything! Playing vs same level mobs or even 1-2 levels higher should be hard if you dont dodge right.
    I doubt they'll nerf anything but perhaps the spawn rate of some mobs and events.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    ...if that's really true, if they will change the world and not let it stay the same for 5 years just for the sake of it, then I might just shed some tears of joy.
    More info here:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...4#post16670174

I hope it's true too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am so pumped for Guild wars Two O.O And I haven’t watched videos lately, and haven’t been in the beta. I want the “first time” to be amazing. And that should be on Launch Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    I am so pumped for Guild wars Two O.O And I haven’t watched videos lately, and haven’t been in the beta. I want the “first time” to be amazing. And that should be on Launch Day.
    This is why you play classes/zones you won't normally play at launch. I'm rolling sylvari so I won't be near the human lands for awhile.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    This is why you play classes/zones you won't normally play at launch. I'm rolling sylvari so I won't be near the human lands for awhile.
    I did the opposite. Made Emily as quickly as I could, drooled my way through the human zone. Absolutely fantastic, cant wait to do it again.

I did try the norn starting zone, but I couldnt get as immersed in it. Charr was okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    More info here:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...4#post16670174

I hope it's true too.
    ...*sobs*

That is just too much awesome in one day. Anet, y u so awesome yet at the same time SO CRUEL?? ლ(ಠ 益ಠლ)

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 12:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Same here, I regret making the char I want in live for the beta...next BWE I make a race and profession that I do not plan to play, such as a Norn necromancer (my necro will be Asura :d) or Charr Mesmer...heh.

That reminds me, I gotta reserve the name Lady GaGa. Anyone else totally hyped over the freedom in naming characters? I couldn't believe what awesome names people made with 19 characters. Ofc there were those that named characters Necrolol and such...but hopefully they'll also fail at the game -_-.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2012-05-03 at 12:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    That reminds me, I gotta reserve the name Lady GaGa. Anyone else totally hyped over the freedom in naming characters? I couldn't believe what awesome names people made with 19 characters. Ofc there were those that named characters Necrolol and such...but hopefully they'll also fail at the game -_-.
    I think I saw Kanye West. That was the only real name that stood out, to me at least.

I saw a lot of people with good names, though. Looking at my screenshots, I can see a Beatrix Lionheart, Necrodums, and my personal favorite, Mrs Hudson.

EDIT: Also, Keralai Worthward, Nelthaki, Shana Mista... there really are a lot of pretty immersive-sounding names.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    I do agree the hearts are a good thing but I know one thing my best friend was confused about is why they showed you exactly were to go. He thought they just pop up randomly were ever your exploring.
    There are a lot different kind of people. Some like exploring, and some like to have their hands hold some time to get into the game.

According to ArenaNet, the heart tasks are for people who gets a little bit confused with the game at the start, with dynamic events and such. That's why the hearts exists, to show people where you can do things and get xp, rewards and such. So hearts are a little bit like your 'traditional' quest, but still isn't, just to help people who wants it.

Yeah. There's always something charming about trying a new game and being unused to its rules, skills, and world. But something about GW2 especially drew out this feeling for me. I think because it is so outside of the standard MMO structure. That, and there are literal discoveries you can make everywhere.

The world is huge, filled with all kinds of secret nooks and crannies, and it rewards you for going and finding these things. Nothing better imo.
    Last edited by summourn; 2012-05-03 at 04:25 PM. Reason: lolgrammar