Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

RIP charging for portals

You will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by boredisboring13 View Post
    You will be missed
    its "basically" free to cut / create anything with any other profession...
    It does take time to send out a portal so I would say there should still be a tip.
    If tips were only due to the portal rune, then the tip would be the cost of the portal rune.

The tip is for the service of being conveniently sent to where they want to go, not for the rune.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    The tip is for the service of being conveniently sent to where they want to go, not for the rune.
    Portal tips on my mage range from 20-30g and I never ask for tips and always cast them before the "customer" even gets near me. They could enter without tipping, but rarely do. As far as I'm concerned, no one tips based on the cost of the rune. They pay for the convenience and how fast you offer to send them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Portal tips on my mage range from 20-30g and I never ask for tips and always cast them before the "customer" even gets near me. They could enter without tipping, but rarely do. As far as I'm concerned, no one tips based on the cost of the rune. They pay for the convenience and how fast you offer to send them.

luxury travel will still get paid

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Exactly this, I do the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never asked for a tip when giving people portals. They were free to jump into the bubble if they desired so, but half of the time people choose to tip anyway.

Personally I think it's sad to ask a fee for a skill I picked up for a couple of silver at a portal trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    I never asked for a tip when giving people portals. They were free to jump into the bubble if they desired so, but half of the time people choose to tip anyway.

Personally I think it's sad to ask a fee for a skill I picked up for a couple of silver at a portal trainer.
    that could be said with any profession really hehe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sef24 View Post
    Only portals aren't a profession you had to level, it's basically a freebie you get as a mage

Quote Originally Posted by sef24 View Post
    it takes 40s or what ever to learn the training for a port to IF. over 10k gold to learn 525 enchanting and then maelstroms to get the recepies to learn most of the stuff people want. see where im getting at? mages didnt go to hogwarts to learn how to open a portal and spend tuition and room and books and they are trying to pay off their gringots loan (nerd mode off). but trolling aside i hope you were just messing around lol =P

Mages that require a fee or demand a tip for a portal, are the people i demand a fee/tip from if they want a heal when im on my druid or for me to taunt off them while tanking..

same principle logic

Quote Originally Posted by terrih91 View Post
    it takes 40s or what ever to learn the training for a port to IF. over 10k gold to learn 525 enchanting and then maelstroms to get the recepies to learn most of the stuff people want. see where im getting at? mages didnt go to hogwarts to learn how to open a portal and spend tuition and room and books and they are trying to pay off their gringots loan (nerd mode off). but trolling aside i hope you were just messing around lol =P
    I wasn't trolling... yea there are stuff that takes time, but there are a lot of things that are just needed to learn off of trainer. It isn't the fact that it takes gold to lvl up the profession, but it does take time. I dont demand gold but really, "time is money friend"

edit: with that, I believe that professions should not be tiped at the same rate as portals hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Viled View Post
    Mages that require a fee or demand a tip for a portal, are the people i demand a fee/tip from if they want a heal when im on my druid or for me to taunt off them while tanking..

same principle logic
    Not quite, that's rather stupid. As a Tank or Healer you're doing your job, it's your job to keep people alive by keeping agro or healing them. As a Mage it's just a luxury skill which isn't needed. A Mages job is to DPS, not portal people around.

I personally don't ask for a fee, but I won't refused tips if they are given.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Not quite, that's rather stupid.
    how so, taunt and heals are a skill i learned from a trainer that requires me to press a button to make someone elses life easier

"portals are a skill i learned from a trainer that requires me to press a button to make someone elses life easier"

see how that works out

how so, taunt and heals are a skill i learned from a trainer that requires me to press a button to make someone elses life easier

"portals are a skill i learned from a trainer that requires me to press a button to make someone elses life easier"

see how that works out
    aha this guy just proved it. so free mage portals? Jk their going to be assholes

Mages are going to get tips because they provide value for their service. So long as there is value to what they provide they're going to get value from their customers. The runes were never a meaningful part of the cost; Merely a reagent annoyance.

As for the "heal on my druid" or "taunt off them" nonsense, you're getting compensated for that, too. You probably would get tipped if you promised not to roll on any gear from that instance. In fact I can still find overgeared tanks in trade, selling ZA bear runs. Mages are going to get tipped for ports, Viled. LIVE with it, or take the f#$%^ing bus, it makes little difference to me.

Oh, and did you think the words "same principle logic" actually constituted a complete sentence? I recognize each of those words, but when you string them together like that it's not even English.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont see how 20 gold - reagent cost = zero gold? People will still ask 20g for spending time making one XD

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Auggee View Post
    Mages are going to get tips because they provide value for their service. So long as there is value to what they provide they're going to get value from their customers. The runes were never a meaningful part of the cost; Merely a reagent annoyance.

As for the "heal on my druid" or "taunt off them" nonsense, you're getting compensated for that, too. You probably would get tipped if you promised not to roll on any gear from that instance. In fact I can still find overgeared tanks in trade, selling ZA bear runs. Mages are going to get tipped for ports, Viled. LIVE with it, or take the f#$%^ing bus, it makes little difference to me.

Oh, and did you think the words "same principle logic" actually constituted a complete sentence? I recognize each of those words, but when you string them together like that it's not even English.
    > says "but when you string them together like that it's not even English"
    >uses "take the f#$%^ing bus" as if proper grammar
    >mfw

it is the press of one button, not like mages have to solve a quadratic equation to open a portal to another dimension then struggle to hold onto life itself while they keep it open for you to travel through.

its the same as a warlock making a health stone or portal, a pally or druid casting a buff. Should hunters demand a tip for aspect of the pack? should i charge per time i REZ you? what about crusader aura...thats pretty luxury.
    Last edited by Viled; 2012-05-01 at 05:31 PM.

Deleted
    I haven't charged for portals in ages. But of course I accept tip.

see how that works out
    when your healing or tanking you are doing that instance for your own personal gain... if people want a tank for a faster random queue, I do see people charging for that service (because they are not doing it for themselves).

see how that works.