Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I will still be charging for my portals

Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    The tip is for the service of being conveniently sent to where they want to go, not for the rune.
    This is all that needs to be said

/thread

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm still charging.

Supply and Demand.

50g or start walking :3

<3 small servers

Deleted
    If you need mage for portals in today wow you are doing something wrong, mass summon, 3cloaks of cordination, necks, rings, tabards to port you everywhere you need. just sayin.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty much just echoing but we will still make money from tips. The only time I even thought about the rune was when I'd get totally stiffed and had my time wasted. Although I'd often refuse tips if I was having a good day anyway haha

One way or another it isn't a big issue, there are far faster ways to make gold

Quote Originally Posted by sef24 View Post
    its "basically" free to cut / create anything with any other profession...
    It does take time to send out a portal so I would say there should still be a tip.
    If tips were only due to the portal rune, then the tip would be the cost of the portal rune.
    You are tipping other professions because they are "professionals" and have spent the time to reach max in that profession to provide that service. That isn't the same as the inherent capability of making portals that mages have. It is like tipping a professional vs tipping someone because of their ethnicity. If anything you should be only tipping a mage because of the inconvenience not because of the actual service.

Quote Originally Posted by Viled View Post
    same principle logic
    Not really ... giving up 20 minutes of my time to leave an LFD queue to portal someone deserves a little compensation don't you think ?

The fault is with Blizzard - let teleport work on willing players, then I'd not charge a dime.

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 03:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Afflictrick View Post
    That isn't the same as the inherent capability of making portals that mages have.
    If it was instant... probably wouldn't be an issue. However it rarely is that quick and easy..

Quote Originally Posted by Krato View Post
    If you need mage for portals in today wow you are doing something wrong, mass summon, 3cloaks of cordination, necks, rings, tabards to port you everywhere you need. just sayin.
    Like to Undercity or Shattrath?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoiledkid View Post
    Shattrath?
    Portal in SW (and probably OG) takes you straight to the bird that takes you to Shattrath.
    With all the places gizmos can get you, your Hearthstone is left with a 15 minute CD these day for the odd spot you need.

So here is the new list of "spells" that classify as a "Luxury" and will now be charged for using mage logic:

Any type of rez (ie mass rez, rebirth)
    Any Paladin Buff (kings, might, salv, BoP)
    Any Druid buff (thorns, MotW)
    Any Priest Buffs (fort, shadow resist, power infusion)
    Any time a shaman lays down a totem
    Each warlock hearthstone
    Each player summoned with "have group will travel"
    Any time you are affected with "aspect of the pack" or "crusader aura" movement buffs

This list is subject to change with or without prior notice
    Except raid buffs and portals are at two completely different ends of the spectrum, and if you cant see this than idk what to tell ya

how so, taunt and heals are a skill i learned from a trainer that requires me to press a button to make someone elses life easier

"portals are a skill i learned from a trainer that requires me to press a button to make someone elses life easier"

see how that works out
    That is not as logical as you think.

Taunting or healing are required skills to play your role (I am a healer and a tank, and not a mage). If I want to do a dungeon, I need a healer, tank, or dps to come with me. I do not need a summon or a portal. I can fly or ride anywhere (or insta-travel with random queues). Portals are not required, they are quality of life. If you want to get to a place faster than usual, then you better be willing to pay for it. Time is money. When you use a portal or summon, you are paying for the time of the other player to come help you. They are getting nothing else out of the deal. When you heal or tank a dungeon, you are doing it for a tank or healer bag, JP or VP, gear, achievements, reputation, or some other want.

So to rehash, taunting and healing were not learned from the trainer to make peoples lives easier, but enable you to play a role and be viable in that role. Portals and summons even, are not required to make a mage or warlock viable, or able to fill a role.

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 01:48 AM ----------

So here is the new list of "spells" that classify as a "Luxury" and will now be charged for using mage logic:

Any type of rez (ie mass rez, rebirth)
    Any Paladin Buff (kings, might, salv, BoP)
    Any Druid buff (thorns, MotW)
    Any Priest Buffs (fort, shadow resist, power infusion)
    Any time a shaman lays down a totem
    Each warlock hearthstone
    Each player summoned with "have group will travel"
    Any time you are affected with "aspect of the pack" or "crusader aura" movement buffs

This list is subject to change with or without prior notice
    Buffs != Quality of life

Summons and portals are not combat skills. Almost everything you listed has some kind of combat application. They make those classes viable in a dungeon, raid, or pvp. Portals and summons do not. So please stop whining and just pay up to these kind mage's that are willing to help you.

because i go to the effort of making a port for the 20 silver reagant.

10+ Year Old Account
    People pay for portals cause we have to buy runes atm?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    The tip is for the service of being conveniently sent to where they want to go, not for the rune.
    This.
    10char

Well, if I am not queued, not crafting e.t.c and the one who wants the portal will come EXACTLY where I am, then I can make the portal for free easily.

You have to understand that even @2k gold/hour your 5 gold won't make me drop a 15 minute queue time (which is worth 500g).

Mages that require a fee or demand a tip for a portal, are the people i demand a fee/tip from if they want a heal when im on my druid or for me to taunt off them while tanking..

same principle logic
    That's not quite the same principle. When you are in dungeon fulfilling a role, you are there with the intention of doing what that role demands.
    I doubt any mage idling in a town is there with the intention of being a portal b*tch for anyone and everyone.
    If a mage requires you to pay fee for his portal services (ie. spending his time on doing something else than he was originally planning) after you asked him, you are left with 3 options:
    1) pay up and enjoy your ride thru nether
    2) find another mage
    3) stop being lazy and just fly there, spending your time instead of mage's
    it's simple as that.

If you whisper a mage randomly asking for a portal then expect to be fleeced for the portal.
    I don't give a damn how important it is. If a mage is not advertising they should not be assumed to be available to portal your lazy ass from one place to another.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    If you whisper a mage randomly asking for a portal then expect to be fleeced for the portal.
    I don't give a damn how important it is. If a mage is not advertising they should not be assumed to be available to portal your lazy ass from one place to another.
    I could not agree more. Nothing agitates me more than going about my business then a whisper pops up
    'Port?'.
    Okay I can ignore that one I'm not interested.

'Hey port plz'

Okay so maybe I should answer this one.

'I'm busy no.'

It doesn't matter if I'm actually busy this is my answer.

'Omg just port me it'll take a second'

And then they find my ignore list.. Honestly I would not be opposed to portals being removed and just leaving Mages with teleport but until that day comes IF I decide to portal the lazy folks I expect a tip.

Deleted
    Mages that require a fee or demand a tip for a portal, are the people i demand a fee/tip from if they want a heal when im on my druid or for me to taunt off them while tanking..

same principle logic
    I'd be the first to agree with you if your druid had to drop a queue to toss someone a heal or drop what you are doing to have someone take up to ten minutes to come where you are to get his "heal". Some people assume that all mages are afking their night away so doing a portal costs them nothing except the click of a class button. Come back when your heals mean that you have to drop queue and wasted ten minutes out of your life for a random stranger's convience and tell me your time is really worth nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am charging anything that people would pay for.