Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is there a solution?

Generally speaking, I see a lot of complaints about things here in the U.S.

Our political structure is screwy.
    Our education system is failing.
    More and more teenagers are having sex and becoming pregnant.
    Obesity crisis.
    Bullies in school.
    Obamacare causing so much controversy.

Have these always been problems? If not, when did they start? And is there a solution?

These are thoughts that have just been floating in my mind lately.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/334916/ted...ure#s-p1-sr-i3

That we live in terrible times is a narrative that helps drive news viewership. We live in amazing time. This is the most peaceful the world's ever been, and the technology around the corner will allow us to be productive in exponentially increasing ways. Not to minimize the real problems in the world right now, but things are a-okay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    That we live in terrible times is a narrative that helps drive news viewership. We live in amazing time. This is the most peaceful the world's ever been, and the technology around the corner will allow us to be productive in exponentially increasing ways. Not to minimize the real problems in the world right now, but things are a-okay.
    This. Don't be a sheep. Things are pretty good overall, even if we live in a financial crisis.

1. Redo the system so its practically possible get more than 2 political parties
    2. Your education could learn from places like Finland i guess...
    3. Sex education that works - not abstinence education
    4. Promote healthy food from childhood like having mostly healthy food in school cafeterias...
    5. Parenting
    6. Forcing people to buy from insurance companies is a pretty horrible way to implement universal healthcare - the NHS would be a good model to copy i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Nayelie View Post

Obesity crisis.
    Bullies in school.

Have these always been problems? If not, when did they start? And is there a solution?

Our politics suck, but that's a common problem across the globe, not just here.

You can blame the education system all you want, but I strongly believe its the kids' problem these days. Doesn't matter how much money you throw at education to hire the best teachers, the newest text books, the best computers, etc... if the kids don't want to put forth the effort.

Can't be bothered to find an article I never thought I'd ever have to cite, but I'm sure it's easy enough to find. Teen pregnancy rates are the lowest they've been for decades. Sure, there's probably some places in the U.S. where it's worse, but definitely not as a nation as a whole. It may get more publicity than it ever has, though.

Likewise, yes obesity is a problem (fun fact, despite what the media wants you to believe, the U.S. is not the world's fattest country), however, recent studies have shown that health awareness is at an all-time high. More and more of us are trying to do something about it. It'll likely get worse before it gets better, but we're working on it.

Yeah, bullying has become a pretty bad problem lately. No way to spin that one.

"Obamacare's" controversy mostly comes from people who think it's unconstitutional that we'd have no real -choice- in the matter. It's mostly just a matter of perspective and opinion. It's a big catalyst in Republican vs. Democrat/Conservative vs. Liberal arguments. The sooner both parties realize that they're more alike than different in their overall views and stop bickering over stupid issues that shouldn't be political at all, then maybe they'll actually get something productive done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post

Likewise, yes obesity is a problem (fun fact, despite what the media wants you to believe, the U.S. is not the world's fattest country), however, recent studies have shown that health awareness is at an all-time high. More and more of us are trying to do something about it. It'll likely get worse before it gets better, but we're working on it.
    I believe thats because those fatter are very small southeren pacific islands...

10+ Year Old Account
    Obesity crisis.
    Bullies in school.
    These are all different problems with different causes. If you're looking for one solution to fix them all, you're looking at it wrong.
    I'll try to address them, but I don't know that much about the US.
    1. I think the main problem is that there are only two (viable) parties in the US. I'm not saying our system with a bazillion parties is awesome, but it allows for a lot more opinions to be heard and a more nuanced political debate.
    2. Education runs on tax money, but people don't like to pay them. It takes money and motivated teachers to improve the education, as well as a good educational structure. I've heard a story once (don't know if it's true) that schools in Texas aren't allowed to teach about Jefferson. Stuff like that can't happen. Give federal guidelines and goals that need to be reached, while still allowing some freedom for the states/districts/schools/teachers to deviate from or add to them.
    3. The way I see it: if kids aren't given decent education about sex and sexuality they'll do stupid shit. My mum told be constantly (and often without reason) to wear a condom. Schools in Belgium teach sex ed. as early as 11 years old. Teenagers having sex isn't a problem, them getting unwanted pregnancies is. Teach them how to prevent that and how to have safe sex. Also, in Belgium anti-conception is cheaper for girls younger than 21. That helps as well, because they can bypass parents because of this.
    4. Teach kids about food. Encourage them to play outside or pick up a sport.
    5. No easy fix, because bullies will always be present. First of all a clear signal needs to be send that bullying is wrong and that it's not just a matter of the victim manning up in order to fix it. People need to realize that bullying can cause severe emotional and psychological trauma in people, especially kids.
    6. Don't complain about it. Healthcare should be a right. In most parts of Europe not providing basic healthcare for people that can't afford it isn't even discussed. It's just the right thing to do.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Oh it's still a problem, yes. But last time I checked (some time last year), we were number 13, which was considerably better than we were before that. So we're working on it. =D
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    As Veyne already stated teenage pregnacies are actually on a downward trend and have been for a few years at least.

Obesity crisis.
    Bullies in school.

Mostly products of sensationalism and a 24/7 news cycle.

2. Education runs on tax money, but people don't like to pay them. It takes money and motivated teachers to improve the education, as well as a good educational structure. I've heard a story once (don't know if it's true) that schools in Texas aren't allowed to teach about Jefferson. Stuff like that can't happen. Give federal guidelines and goals that need to be reached, while still allowing some freedom for the states/districts/schools/teachers to deviate from or add to them.
    The U.S. is one of the top spenders on K-12 spending per pupil compared to the rest of globe. We are usually ranked 2nd-4th in terms of spending and rank much lower on international test score averages in math and science. Much of it has to do with the curriculum and peer effects of U.S. public schools, not spending.

As Ynna has said part of the issue is that the United States really only has a 2-party system. This causes a HUGE issue with fringe members within the party diluting their goals. The Republican Party as it stands today is a perfect example. The Tea Party really isn't in-line with the Republican parties goals. There are a few areas where they overlap but generally-speaking it's apples and oranges.

Thing is... they are a conservative group and conservatives are generally seen as Republican - so for any of these politicians to get into office they have to run on a Republican ticket because citizens don't feel confident enough to support a legitimate 3rd party (or more parties for that matter).

There are several issues with the educational system, many of which are the result of 'fixing' it in the past. There is no one easy fix for this... Let's say for example that higher education becomes 85% funded by the Government; you're only responsible for 15% of your Tuition and that other 85% is a gift from Uncle Sam. That doesn't REALLY solve anything, because prices will still rise.

You can probably lob this into a failing of our educational system. Youths today seem to have a flimsy understanding of how protection works. Even more surprising is their complete lack of understanding of STDs, what they are, and how you can get various ones. I've run into a fairly large group of kids who don't believe that HIV is a modern-day health risk... it's insane.

Obesity crisis.
    Bullies in school.
    I'm not saying these one's AREN'T issues because they certainly are... but they aren't as serious as the media makes them to be. These are just hot-button issues that get a disproportionate amount of media coverage. Remember the earthquake in Japan? For months afterward EVERY earthquake made the news and people started thinking "OMG the Mayans are right!" when in reality the amount of earthquakes and their severity was well within the norms... it was just media coverage that escalated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    1. Redo the system so its practically possible get more than 2 political parties
    In other words, completely tear down our political system and build a new one from scratch. Got it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Removing the winner takes it all is a good start.
    It is hell of a weird that so many votes are rendered useless.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

There is no magic bullet solution. What you really need are people who will govern honestly and in good faith with the goal of doing their best to actually run the country, but everything surrounding politics corrupts this (money, power, fame).

The first step absolutely, positively needs to be to get a lot of the big money out of politics. If election campaigns cost so many millions to run successfully and corporations or individual wealthy donors can provide those millions, then politicians are corrupted right off the bat.

The second step needs to be more regulation of the media. Right now it is absolutely atrocious in it's bias and presenting outright falsehoods. How can we have an honest debate about politics and policies if no one can even agree on the facts because the media are lying or deliberately misleading their audience?

Do those two things and then see where we end up.

I think a solution to the governments problems is possible, but would require a lot of things to happen. It would literally require a restructuring of government programs, but would enable the country to get out of debt and not be in everyone's lives intrusively.

For example, I think the leaders of our nation need to have a serious talk about simple things that can be done.

1) How can our government get out of debt? How can we make a profit? How does the government get money?
    2) Is a "hyperactive" government necessary? Wasn't there a reason why the government was supposed to be "limited"? If a successful government is due to the government being "limited" instead of "hyperactive", how can we return to that?
    3) What programs need to be consolidated and cut down because they are not, in fact, all necessary?

I'm sure there are more things our leaders could talk about. I don't even know everything that would have to happen, but I want parties to come together, stop beating heads like rams and communicate how to improve our lives nationwide.

Also, it would be amazing if media wasn't causing Americans to become split apart to opposite ends where democrats and republicans will block anything the other party tries to do. This ideology is killing us.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    In other words, completely tear down our political system and build a new one from scratch. Got it.
    Just do what Bakis said - Make votes count...

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    This.
    Every society around the world has had major problems throughout its history. Problems with government systems isn't anything new, teenagers having sex isn't anything new, how to handle public health isn't new. Education problems, that's actually new. If you look at the history of the world most people never received a formal education.

Throughout this whole history of human societal evolution there are some who create the problems, those who don't care about the problems, those who worry about it but do nothing, those who try to fix problems but just cause worse ones, and those who genuinely work to try to make things better. None of that has changed except perhaps there are likely more of the last type. People who actually care can now readily connect with one another from long distances and brainstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    [video link]

Hmm..I like what everyone has to say. It is all perspective I suppose. So while these issues aren't as bad as when spun with the fairy dust of the media, I do think they are issues that should be given thought.

Also, Maharishi, I liked that video. Reminded me of this cracked.com article...google "cracked.com good news" and its the 1st one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    Teen Pregnancy:
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db58.htm

As far as bullying goes, we used to condone beating/hanging black kids that looked the wrong way at a white girl. I'd say things have improved since then. Additionally- It's easier to get proof of bullying now that everyone has a video camera in their pocket. Shit's been happening since time immemorial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE