Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Reforging for hit/exp prot pally - question

I was looking at my gear and I can totally reforge for hit/exp cap and still remain block capped using a mastery elixir. Question is, I'm not sure if I should do it. For one, it'd be a bit more expensive since I'd need a elixir for every death, but then again we're constantly 1-2 shotting the first 5 bosses on heroic. Should be 6 tonight.

Question is I'm having a hard time thinking if I should or not at this point in dragon soul =/.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Bryce/advanced

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 11:30 PM ----------

I swapped in some of my dps pieces and made a chardev profile for it. How's this look for getting as close to hit/exp cap as I can without losing ctc cap?
    Last edited by Bryce; 2012-05-01 at 11:14 PM.

I don't think it would be wise to reforge your expertise to cap. But i think with what you have you could do hit. As a paladin in DS being mitigation capped is more important than doing a little more dmg. Especially since you have a glyph that gives some passive expertise, that should be sufficient for how things are now, especially with the nerfs going out as they are.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I meant soft exp cap, not hard cap of 55 or whatever it is. With that chardev I can hit close to hit cap and still be ctc capped with raid buffs, I've always been way over with raid buffs so trying to minimize how much over I go.

I myselv am doing precisely that. Though my gear alows me to flask stamina instead of mastery. On a survability basis, going for stamina once you hit full CTC is more optimal, but if your guild strugles for beating enrage timers or lack of dps makes encounters harder, go for dps stats. Mainly depends on your guild's strenghts and weakneses.

My guild, for example has a low dps output, so I went for the hit/expertise way. But to be honest, from a survivability point of view is more optimal going for stamina.

i never said hard cap lol i meant the 27 soft cap.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://chardev.org/profile/391569-tankhitexp.html

Allows me to flask whatever I want.

Deleted
    First you need to decide how much of survivability you want to sacrifice.

LoW ( almost not visible ) - You sacrifice avoidance with reforging ( you'll reach a decent amount of hit/exp)
    Medium ( is noticable) - You start sacrificing stamina for dmg ( you'll get the hit/exp cap )
    High ( would only recommend on some bosses like Ultrax ) You sacrifice mastery for more dmg ( hit/exp and going for more EXP or STR ( ret gear) (note EXP > Str untill hard cap )

You can pull off High on any boss in DS but it will demand more from you.
    I've also seen one more thing from your armory, if you're interested i can provide you with more information.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am getting fairly bored with tanking in DS mainly because of all the nerfs =/. Granted I wasn't pushing heroics all that much before the nerfs either mainly due to my raid group, but raiding with the same group for almost 2 years is greater than pushing heroics for me.

I may actually want to go for extremely high dps and such, might make things more interesting to say the least. Just need to figure out how to do it without my healers/other raid members figuring out what I'm wanting to do as they tell me I'm a tank, not a dps and shouldn't be going after dps and such -_-.

Deleted
    Moar stamina = more vengeance = moar deeps?

I've gone the expertise cap/hit cap route as well on my paladin, mainly for the nerfs, i've not been in a situation where i've died because of taken too much damage where it hasn't been someone's fault, IE damage that could have been avoided but mistakes were made and it wasn't sort of thing. I am really unlucky when it comes to spells and attacks hitting, and it was getting to the point where i'd divine plea and have to shield of the righteous 3-4 times before it would actually hit, which REALLY annoyed me. So I went hit/expertise route, and it has made a massive difference. I would recommend it if you have good healers etc.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Newcon/simple heres my armoury, no dps pieces, just tank stuff reforged for hit/expertise. I'm not hit capped though, but I did hit the 26 expertise with seal up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Newcon12 View Post
    I've gone the expertise cap/hit cap route as well on my paladin, mainly for the nerfs, i've not been in a situation where i've died because of taken too much damage where it hasn't been someone's fault, IE damage that could have been avoided but mistakes were made and it wasn't sort of thing. I am really unlucky when it comes to spells and attacks hitting, and it was getting to the point where i'd divine plea and have to shield of the righteous 3-4 times before it would actually hit, which REALLY annoyed me. So I went hit/expertise route, and it has made a massive difference. I would recommend it if you have good healers etc.

xxx heres my armoury, no dps pieces, just tank stuff reforged for hit/expertise. I'm not hit capped though, but I did hit the 26 expertise with seal up.
    You're using the LoW strategy(cap. obv strikes again). The low strategy sacrifices very little if nothing ( in most cases having abit more block than in the standard build will make dmg seam less spiky to healers )

Going for medium is more than doable and might even be better for some cases. The best and easiest to pull out way is to keep the stam gem comp , get the hit/exp caps (soft cap for exp) and just swaping stam trinks for str for some fights.

The high build is not worth it since you have to spend money on it and while doable defo not worth it .

(can't even quote links meh , have to be honest with you guys posting here only to get some post count for the guild recruit part of the forum )

Seeing as you have access to full BiS outside of a trinket and Weapon, you could easily start gearing for hit/expertise if you wanted without losing out on mitigation. I've started gearing for it. It doesn't really change much, but it is better than seeing "miss", "miss", "miss" with Crusader Strike right at the start of a pull.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    Moar stamina = more vengeance = moar deeps?
    While the above is true going for dps stas (exp(hard cap), str) will gain you an average of 20 % more dps.
    In my opinion unless for farm and fun you shouldn't rly sacrifice it.

---------- Post added 2012-05-04 at 08:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    Seeing as you have access to full BiS outside of a trinket and Weapon, you could easily start gearing for hit/expertise if you wanted without losing out on mitigation. I've started gearing for it. It doesn't really change much, but it is better than seeing "miss", "miss", "miss" with Crusader Strike right at the start of a pull.
    I'd defo recommend doing that since in some cases miss chance can = more dmg taken. Take spine for example ( having missed on some bloods you are risking bloods hitting people and cause unwated dmg )

Deleted
    screw all the hit/exp caps, your a tank you barley need to do anything to keep your aggro and damage dealing is not your role.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    screw all the hit/exp caps, your a tank you barley need to do anything to keep your aggro and damage dealing is not your role.
    HeY! We're not gimped like warriors!
    The amount you gain from the softcaps is defo worth the loss of spare avoidance ( is crap ind )

You don't really need the ctc cap imo, i tanked last 3 bosses in this gear by mistake
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...messias/simple and a str flask and another dps trinket forgot to equip my proper gear, durr.
    only fight you really want ctc cap for is Blackhorn imo
    Last edited by madmessias; 2012-05-04 at 12:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by madmessias View Post
    You don't really need the ctc cap imo, i tanked last 3 bosses in this gear by mistake
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...messias/simple and a str flask and another dps trinket forgot to equip my proper gear, durr.
    only fight you really want ctc cap for is Blackhorn imo
    This is an example of being to redical. He's sacrificing alot for what? dmg ? You still have to keep in mind that you're a tank. CTC cap on some fights is not rly needed on fights like ultraxion but for fights like warmaster and esp spine . it's like a straight damage taken inc.. the dmg inc is all fine and well but it could cost you a wipe on those last couple of seconds on spine.

Try to sacrifice with a set goal in mind. You still are a tank!

Quote Originally Posted by Plushyeu View Post
    This is an example of being to redical. He's sacrificing alot for what? dmg ? You still have to keep in mind that you're a tank. CTC cap on some fights is not rly needed on fights like ultraxion but for fights like warmaster and esp spine . it's like a straight damage taken inc.. the dmg inc is all fine and well but it could cost you a wipe on those last couple of seconds on spine.

Try to sacrifice with a set goal in mind. You still are a tank!
    Sure, but imo on spine is a perfect fight to sport some dps pieces, since killing the adds faster=less dmg taken on you (slightly more on the raid tho, but our healers had no progress with the aoe dmg on the raid aslong as i was the only one aoeing, outside cleaves ofc)
    and it really helps keeping the bloods in check later in the fight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by madmessias View Post
    Sure, but imo on spine is a perfect fight to sport some dps pieces, since killing the adds faster=less dmg taken on you (slightly more on the raid tho, but our healers had no progress with the aoe dmg on the raid aslong as i was the only one aoeing, outside cleaves ofc)
    and it really helps keeping the bloods in check later in the fight.
    Regardless of how much bloods you kill ( str won't help much here it's a smaaaal upgrade over stamina) you will reach a point where you'll have to kite and that's the point you'll want more surviability rather than abit more str which doesn't help much

Quote Originally Posted by Plushyeu View Post
    Regardless of how much bloods you kill ( str won't help much here it's a smaaaal upgrade over stamina) you will reach a point where you'll have to kite and that's the point you'll want more surviability rather than abit more str which doesn't help much
    And tell me what stamina trinket with over 780 stamina I could use, that would actually matter?
    I don't have any 410 trinkets from DS, and even if i would, they'd suck pretty hard, since I was never in danger of dying when i kited on spine (Runspeed, holy wrath from me+holypala, and some lifegrips and it never caused us danger) , and the absorbprocc on Indomitable Pride is pretty shit on spine since you are getting hit alot but for small numbers, so the absorb will be small.
    Also, no you don't always have to kite, sometimes i didn't have to kite at all on progress, and we just wiped due to lack of dps on the tendon, hell on our 3th kill i stopped kiting (Had 5% buff then)