Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    World won't end but economic collapse is very possible. China is blocking USA in many ways, soon with CPU's which will be huge loss, also they cut out rare metals for USA.
    So shit between USA and China is possible .

10+ Year Old Account
    Back to why they banned it... (again idk if these facts are true) the alcohol, pure alcohol, is a better fuel for cars. It burns better, cleaner, easier on the engine, idk if cheaper. Nascar was created during this time thanks to moonshiners. The way they transported the bear was in vehicles, probably ran on the alcohol as well.
    Higher octane fuels such as extremely high proof alcohols are VERY expensive. Go down to your local off-road shop (or a gas station if you live in a rural place) and ask for just a gallon of High Octane fuel, you will shit your pants.
    Time is the greatest teacher, but unfortunately, it ends up killing all of its students.

Deleted
    First of all the us doesn't own the world and if a cure for any of those things was to be found you can be sure someone somewhere in the world will get the word out even if the pharma-companies would want to hold it back, which is a stupid conspiracy theory anyway for obvious reasons.

For the alcohol as fuel, the internet is very good resource for information. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel
    To give you a brief summary: They are using it as fuel, the US is the largest producer, there's a lot of problems with it and will probably never be a good replacement.
    Just read the whole page tbh. People are trying to find alternatives cause again for obvious reasons everyone will profit from a good replacement in time.

Deleted
    Ah, when the young mind realizes the world is corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpV2 View Post
    Well the reason I created this thread was I wanted to actually find out though see others perspectives even if half of these post just say "no" with no supporting evidence or even a persuasive sentence to back it up.

First off, to everyone. Ya my dad is full of bull shit half the time because he listens to stupid radio shows. He thinks he knows everything and he's right all the time. *sigh*

Yet after he said all this shit it went in my head and I just started to think...
    -The US government seems to reap us of money.
    -US government hides things from it's people.
    -The economic fall of the US might bring down other countries not because it has the highest GDP, BUT it has the highest debt. We owe other countries a great deal of money. Which is not there and wont be after we fall. Dominos.
    -The government reason for keeping medical cures from us? Controlling the human population to some point in the US.
    - Every government taxes its citizens.
    - EVERY government hides stuff from its citizens (or every businessman/professional, for that matter).
    - A bankrupt country is an opportunity elsewhere, US is no exception.
    - Trust me, a SINGLE cure for cancer is IMPOSSIBLE without wizards. So unless you have wizards...wait, you DO have wizards, don't you?

Dot like there's no tomorrow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDimi View Post
    NO. Just NO! Don't care how much you would like that to be true or whatever you're thinking about it, it's WRONG. Medical companies do create a slight profit with pills that kinda fight the effects of some of those, but it would be way better to just use a cure if it were available.
    There is no cure to those diseases/whatever, especially for tumors and cancer. There are so goddamn many different versions of those two that have to be treated differently that it's nearly impossible to have a cure for them. That cure would have to be some kind of super-medicine, boosting your immune system to waaaaaaaaaay beyond human level, so much that your body would be able to fight anything it encounters, which just isn't possible atm. Btw, Aids and HIV? (Nearly) the same thing, one is the disease and one is the thing that's spreading it. (HI-Virus)

If it were, then it would be used. Not neccessarily in all cars, but in some of them. It isn't though. And seeing as alcohol can easily be produced without the use of fossil resources, compared to normal fuel... yeah... everyone even remotely able to think logically should see that alcohol can't be a suitable alternativ to normal fuel. Wouldn't make sense otherwise... of course except for the "goverment be evil mon, they be stealing our joooaaoobs!" *cue more redneck bullshit*

First there will be a big depression, maybe some riots here and there. As soon as there is barely any oil left the big countries will form treaties to attack the little countries that still have oil and try to get it. Maybe some more wars will follow, ended by a nuclear war that determines the "winner".
    OR scientists will find alternatives to oil - maybe a way to produce it without fossil resources... who knows, too much could happen. Will see.
    Although I do not agree with really anything the OP said, You in fact need to look up your information. 1st Drug companies profit WAY MORE making pills to combat a virus then curing. If they cured any they would lose sooooo much money that's a known fact. Also You need to look into what they are doing in Germany an Japan with medicine. 2nd A lot of countries are using ethonal (not a mix with gas but pure Ethonal) made from sugar cane to fuel vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by sajin0084 View Post
    Wasn't aware Walmart had all the worlds food supplies...
    Oh, you'd be surprised. My local Wal-mart is PACKED full of people getting tons of food every day.
    And there's 2 grocery stores within 1 mile of the store. It's crazy.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Have some faith in humanity. We'll survive.
    ^^

There are enough of us who are trying to stop what your dad is suggesting at from happening, I don't think it will be the end of the world. -.-

inb4 the sun exploding.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzen View Post
    Ah, when the young mind realizes the world is corrupt.
    Bingo.

This thread is exactly what you get when a young person suddenly becomes mature enough to take an interest in the world around themselves, and realize:
    It ain't perfect.

So the end of a system is = end of the world?

PC Game Homeland: the communists will be the biggest enemy of tha free world !!11!!11!!1!1!!!!

Deleted
    is your dad Harold Camping by any chance ?
    it is getting to that time of year where he said world would end, his math might have been wrong and got the wrong year

10+ Year Old Account
    Most fuels consist mainly of carbon/hydrogen chains. Usually some alcohol is already added as a filler. In truth alcohols do not burn cleanly and would not give steady propulsion. Attended a 3 hour presentation on fuels and fuel alternatives and there was a demonstration of a clean steady stream with gasoline and a multiple burst/ choking stream of propulsion with pure alcohols. There might be some good you tube videos better demonstrating this, but believe me hydrocarbons = good fuel... alcohols = compenent added to gas to water it down slightly lowering fossil fuel consumption.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by proteen View Post
    Couple of things to fix here:

1) There is no state of England - it's called the United Kingdom (UK).

2) Doesn't matter...

3) Doesn't matter...

4) Doesn't matter...
    Unfortunately I don't think anybody is going to read your wall of text. I stopped at #1 for obvious reasons.

---------- Post added 2012-05-02 at 08:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzc View Post
    Oh, you'd be surprised. My local Wal-mart is PACKED full of people getting tons of food every day.
    And there's 2 grocery stores within 1 mile of the store. It's crazy.
    Holy crap. I'm really surprised.

I wonder if anybody knows how much food your area is hoarding??

Do you guys know something we don't?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpV2 View Post
    In our century if our country collapses.. how is the world going to react when our country goes down? Most likely the rest of the world will go down with us.
    Nope, they won't. While the USA going down would be harmful to the entire world, the repercussions wouldn't be as bad as you make them sound, as the USA are not as important as Americans tend to make it out to be. It wouldn't reflect positively on anyone's economy, but it surely wouldn't cause "Crimes and murder around the world".

Deleted
    I shall embrace the end with open arms.

Deleted

Lol

[QUOTE bla bla bla QUOTE]

This world WILL end... when the sun burns out... which will happen as soon as in only 2.6 billion years... oh my... what to do?

10+ Year Old Account
    If this is something that you are genuinely concerned about, do something.

Have a small stockpile of high calorie food, learn to fish/hunt/garden. Invest in an emergency pack that contains medical supplies/weapons/water purification tablets etc.

Odds are, you will never need any of this stuff. But if you do, you will be happy that you have it.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    Your dad is making stuff up, and listening to idiots like Alex Jones. Pay him no heed.

Alcohol was banned:
    Because it's bad. It increases vandalism, lowers productivity, and gets people killed.
    It was NOT banned because it threatened to substitute gasoline as car-fuel. It was in fact believed by everyone, until very recently, that it is WORSE as a fuel for cars, so your dad contradicts known history.

Governments suck:
    No. YOU think so, but others don't. That's democracy for ya. Learn to live with it, the alternative is far worse.

Greece:
    Not the fault of the government solely.
    Read up on the financial crisis AND the greek tax collection system. They hadn't updated their system to the kind you have (and complain about) in YOUR country.

If the US economy collapses:
    It won't. It's too important to everyone else. We will come to your aid.
    If it still manages to collapse: The system falls. And what happens after you fall? You get up again. Not the end of the world.

Cure for cancer:
    Cancer is human cells. A cure would kill all human cells. If you think "a cure for cancer" will be found in the form of a simple medicine, you are ignorant.

Cure for AIDS:
    It's a very tricky disease. Again: Don't expect a simple cure. We have gotten to where people can live their entire normal life with the disease in check, using the current medication. And work continues. There is WAY too much prestige (and money) in improving the status quo, for anyone to agree to maintain it.

Counterarguments not supplying evidence:
    You didn't give any yourself for the claims YOU presented, so don't expect any back.
    "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens.

The US government seems to reap us of money:
    Yes. In order to GIVE you things like roads, schools, hospitals, libraries, parks, pavements, traffic lights, museums and a huge friggin' army, to name just a few things.
    This is where the greek government failed. It didn't do what you complain about here.
    It instead continued a tradition of very old-fashioned tax-collecting.

US government hides things from it's people:
    Name one government that doesn't.

Controlling the human population:
    I'm not even gonna comment on something THAT asinine and stupid. Only Alex Jones and his army of gullible fools actually buy stuff THAT daft. The many different suggested methods supposedly employed towards this goal are always RIDICULOUSLY over-complicated for such a simple and easy task.

tl;dr:
    OP lacks source criticism.
    Last edited by mmoc7805351bd4; 2012-05-02 at 02:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sajin0084 View Post
    Walmart has all the worlds food,
    Bears are stealing all the alcohol,
    Greece is bringing down England,

Seems legit. Can't argue with the facts...
    That is too funny! Made my morning. But on a serious note....thank god I live across the street from Walmart. I'll be the first one there to get the food and beat the bears back for alcohol