Unhappy Help with power issues

I just got new hardware to update my old PC. I'm not a professional in this, but I can manage myself xD
    Is practically a new PC. I kept the Power Supply, DVD drive, Case and HDD.

My PC is randomly turning off and restarting, I'm almost 100% sure the problem is power and I completely forgot about this when I ordered the new hardware :/
    The GTX 680 SC needs a minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps and my PSU is 20 Amps.
    I have a few questions, can the low apms cause my PC to randomly turn off? Is there a temporary fix while a new PSU arrive?

Thanks in advance for the help!

PC information bellow:
    Asus P8Z77-V LX
    Intel Core i5-2500K Processor
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature
    XLR8 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800) CAS 9 Dual Channel Memory Kit
    Old Power Supply:
    BFG GS Series GS-650 Power Supply

I feel like that PSU is a few years old. Personally, I would just scrap it and buy a new one, because it looks like, and sounds like, your PSU is the problem. Hey, I might be completely wrong, but the last thing I would ever do is skimp out on a PSU when I'm going for a brand new build. Basically because I've heard too many horror stories about bad PSU's frying GPUs and MoBos and CPU's and all other kinds of nonsense.

Aveline's amazing work!

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Your PSU basically has its wattage split in half, so 240W on one 12V 'rail' and another 240W on another. Since a GTX 680 is capable of using around 225-250W or so under GPU Boost, you're basically running into overcurrent protection and your PSU is shutting itself down. If your 6-pin PEG connectors are labeled, try using one from the 12V1 rail and the other from the 12V2 rail.

Kidsafe nailed it....if that doesn't work, buy a new PSU, preferably one with 80+ Bronze cert.

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    Your PSU basically has its wattage split in half, so 240W on one 12V 'rail' and another 240W on another. Since a GTX 680 is capable of using around 225-250W or so under GPU Boost, you're basically running into overcurrent protection and your PSU is shutting itself down. If your 6-pin PEG connectors are labeled, try using one from the 12V1 rail and the other from the 12V2 rail.
    Thanks a lot for the information
    In the mean time I underclocked my GPU so it would not peak and cause the PSU to shut-down.

My PEG where not label and I only have 1x6-pin and 1x6+2pin PEG connector.
    Now, I think, I understand how this 2 rails system works. Sadly I couldn't find which cable are in which rail :/ While I don't have another PEG connector to work with I used the 2x4-pin to 6-pin PEG adapter, I used a cable line of 4-pin connectors that I never use to do this.
    I really don't know if this solves the issue since I don't know If the video card is receiving 40amps now or still taking 20amps from one rail. Is there is a way to monitor the amperage in a piece of hardware?

---------- Post added 2012-05-02 at 08:03 PM ----------

Update:
    After more testing the problem still here :/ I underclocked the GPU again while I wait for a new PSU.
    I bought Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W
    This PSU has +12v@50 amps I need and the 80+ certification Emberhelm recommended.
    Thank you all for the help
    Last edited by Whotek; 2012-05-03 at 12:04 AM.