Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Music] Internet band hate.

Greetings,

Lately I have been perusing the internet through forums and different sites. It has come to my attention that many people consider Creed and Nickelback as trash music and not original. I mean, they are NOT that great, but I do enjoy a couple of songs by these bands. Is this hate some sort of ancient meme hate towards random celebrities? Like the God-like Chuck Norris?

Insight would be appreciated!

People take some things very seriously. Some people believe they are authorities on music, and have deemed certain bands inferior. And maybe they're right, but I know I enjoy some music that people widely deride for one reason or another.

Deleted
    It's not a meme, it's actually just plain hatred of rock music solely motivate by the market.

I like almost every genre of music, e.g. rock, electronic, big band, jazz, but I sincerely hope Nickleback break up. Their problem is simply that they're not rock anymore but some sort of pseudo pop but they keep claiming the be the "biggest" rock band around.

But it's only my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by colmadero View Post
    Greetings,

Lately I have been perusing the internet through forums and different sites. It has come to my attention that many people consider Creed and Nickelback as trash music and not original. I mean, they are NOT that great, but I do enjoy a couple of songs by these bands. Is this hate some sort of ancient meme hate towards random celebrities? Like the God-like Chuck Norris?

Creed an Nickelback are viewed upon as bands that get categorized as "rock" but to many people are actually very "un-rock" because of their overly polished, mainstream radio oriented sound and lacking edge and dangerousness. Nickelback are famous for their ballads and while they claim to be a "real" band that knows how to rock hard, hardly anyone knows their "heavy" songs. Creed's lead singer has a bad reputation among many rock fans because of his somewhat emo, christian posturing, which they feel isn't very rock'n'roll.

Deleted
    It's not just the internets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7F3O6WYfHQ

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krytz View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7F3O6WYfHQ
    holy crap! well, according to the comments it was a METAL concert. I'd be really pissed if I'm going to watch a The Killers concert and they fucking bring Pitbull or some scumbag first.

A lot of the "hate" comes from the fact that these bands are just mediocre yet somehow extremely popular. I particularly find nickelback to be very formulaic and monotonous, but hey, if you like their thing you like it. It is of course, just my opinion and that is after all what forums are for, right?

that is inexcusable but the organisers should not have been so daft.

Nickleback are the Pepsi Max of rock. The write radio friendly balads/anthems with "sing while you drive to work" choruses. If you had to sell a product and needed a track that couldn't possible offend anyone, and that would appeal to Mr Casual Musicfan you would pick Nickleback.

You know when you buy an OS and in the music folder it comes preinstalled with a few tracks so you can have some "songs" to try out the media player with? That's where they would put Nickleback.

They are somewhat the face of commercialized, corporate friendly rock. That does not go over well with many casual listeners.

A bit less polished, but still utterly commercialized band is Metallica. One of the biggest bitches about digital downloads there is.

Deleted
    Greetings,

Dont really like Creed but I just find they come accross as overly cheesey, though a few songs are listenable.

Nickleback however, I still love. Silver Side Up is currently in the CD player of my car. I do tend to skip "How you remind me" though but its got 6-7 other amazing songs on there which is pretty impressive for a shorter album.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenegade42 View Post
    Nickleback are the Pepsi Max of rock. The write radio friendly balads/anthems with "sing while you drive to work" choruses. If you had to sell a product and needed a track that couldn't possible offend anyone, and that would appeal to Mr Casual Musicfan you would pick Nickleback.

You know when you buy an OS and in the music folder it comes preinstalled with a few tracks so you can have some "songs" to try out the media player with? That's where they would put Nickleback.
    This is true for the song off spiderman, or how you remind me.

However, You have "Just for" which is (From what I can guess) either about beating someone to death for abusing his girlfriend (who the song is about), or attacking the singers girlfriend. It's not too friendly. Never again is about a first person perspective of the singer watching his mum get beaten and hospitalised by his father and ending up shooting him. Then you have too bad which seems to be about his father walking out and leaving them struggling.

Quite a few tougher topics for music to deal with, definitely not radio friendly. But one of the reasons I like them is the fact they're brave enough to face topics like this in music without hiding it behind metaphor or allegory
    Last edited by mmoc620343bcaf; 2012-05-02 at 08:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I once saw a guy who thougth Kid A by radiohead was shitty, but a few seconds later he praised nickleback as one of the most amazing bands that currently exists.

That really rustled my jimmies.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2012-05-02 at 11:51 AM.

It's not just the internet Nickleback and, especially, Creed are hated every where. I personally hate them both.

Honestly if I didn't know who it was I might think Nickleback was country based on some of their songs.

Deleted
    Moved to the Music (CTMB) Forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    holy crap! well, according to the comments it was a METAL concert. I'd be really pissed if I'm going to watch a The Killers concert and they fucking bring Pitbull or some scumbag first.
    Being portuguese, and that having happened here in Portugal, i have mixed feelings about that...

First of all, as shitty as they are, its their manager's and the event planners' fault for booking them. Throwing stones was a bit too much.
    On the other hand, it was a metal festival, aimed at metal fans, with some band not so mainstream they could be on a mixed target festival, like rock in rio or wtv. People bought their ticket and went there to listen to metal bands, not pseudo-rock..

Deleted
    Nickelback is a very, very bad band. But it's not that it's the worst in the world that makes it so hated, it's that everybody agrees that they suck. That rarely happens.

Hating the mainstream is mainstream. Yup, that's how it is. Anything that is popular gets hated, no matter what they do, because people think they're cool because of it. What they don't realize is that people have different taste in music. I'm not a fan of Nickleback either, but just because I'm not a fan doesn't mean I have to whine about how I think they're the worst, that's just being a dick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Hating the mainstream is mainstream. Yup, that's how it is. Anything that is popular gets hated, no matter what they do, because people think they're cool because of it. What they don't realize is that people have different taste in music. I'm not a fan of Nickleback either, but just because I'm not a fan doesn't mean I have to whine about how I think they're the worst, that's just being a dick.
    Not everybody hates nickleback because they are mainstream, I know plenty of people who love bands like Radiohead but hate nickleback(including myself).

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    I like a variety of main stream music and hate Nickleback, what does that make me?

Deleted
    claiming to 'hate mainstream' is absolutely mainstream, too :-)

being emo is mainstream
    listening to alternative rock is mainstream
    doing the visual kei thing is mainstream
    loving my little pony and epic fail guy is mainstream
    playing wow is mainstream
    sado maso and bondage stuff is mainstream
    tattoos are mainstream
    in some regions of the world even cannibalism is mainstream

everything that you do/are listening to/are watching is part of a certain mainstream, depending on your viewpoint and social system. human beeings tend to hang around with people that share the same attitude and interests and so they're defining the 'mainstream' of their group automatically. on a computer game exhibition you'll find a lot of nerdy people, but in this certain situation/system this type can be classified as 'mainstream'. a sexy size-zero model is absolutely not the usual visitor ;-) (joke)

long story short:

every group of people claims to have the only answer for a specific question and tries to missionize the rest of the world (the group size doesn't really matter). People feel better if they believe to 'fight' for the 'right' thing. The more boring and frustrating the environment/life of a person is, the more they will focus on their 'mission', extracting some sort of sense for their lives.

some people like justin bieber, some don't. some people like nickelback, some would rather take s*it on their cd's.

It's all about feeling superior to someone else, believing in the own 'skills' to seperate the crap from the genuine and brilliant stuff.
    Last edited by mmoc5461ee9f4c; 2012-05-02 at 01:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    People take some things very seriously. Some people believe they are authorities on music, and have deemed certain bands inferior. And maybe they're right, but I know I enjoy some music that people widely deride for one reason or another.
    Except people need to realize there's no such thing as "an authority on music" or any art as all art is subjective and tastes are all personal. I don't have any real opinion on Creed or Nickleback, but I certainly feel no reason to hate them just because the Internet tells me to.
    Putin khuliyo