Thread: Overclocking

10+ Year Old Account

Overclocking

I built my new system this weekend and I've moved from what I was running before which was Gen 1 I7-950 to my current build which I will detail later.

My question is I'd like to overclock but I really don't want or need to push it to the limit of borderline BSOD. What I'd like to know is there a decent software OC software program that people use to safely OC? I'm not sure I really want to go the manual route via my BIOS and play with voltages. If manually adjusting voltages is the route to go then is there a "guide" somewhere that people use or is simply trial and error?

Any advice is welcome I'm not a complete computer nub but haven't really dived deep into OCing. My last system was OC with the MB software that brought it from the stock 3.02ghz to err 3.68ghz or there about.

Current system spec:

i5-3570K 3.4Ghz Ivy Bridge (Cooled with after market Coolermaster V6 double fan push/pull)
    Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard
    Patriot Pyro Sata III SSD 120G & a secondary 120g Kingston SSD
    EVGA GTX580 GPU
    Corsair XMS 3 12gig 1600mhz DDR3 Memory
    Corsair HX 750W PSU
    Antec 1200 full tower case. Total 7 fans

From what i've seen so far, you should be able to push Ivy to 4.2-4.4GHz at default voltages... A couple of testers had problems at 4.5GHz at default voltage. So, getting in the 4.2+ zone is a start. I'd recommend that you do it from the BIOS.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    From what i've seen so far, you should be able to push Ivy to 4.2-4.4GHz at default voltages... A couple of testers had problems at 4.5GHz at default voltage. So, getting in the 4.2+ zone is a start. I'd recommend that you do it from the BIOS.
    basically yes never ever use software to overclock for many reasons

do some research on overclocking and guides for overclocking there are tons out there

my suggestion get cpu-z and realtemp to monitor voltage and temps

boot into bios and start changing multiplier SLOWLY booting into windows and running prime 95 to test stability

if you crash up the voltage again SLOWLY

id suggest starting with multiplier at 40 which is a 4.0ghz overclock should be perfectly fine jumping to 4.0 with out changing voltage =)

good luck overclocking is fun my i7 2600k is at 5.0ghz right now though i do run a water cool setup

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can either use the AI suite II or do it in the bios since you have the ASUS mobo.

CPU level UP will get you straight to 4.3/4.4 range with simply a few clicks. The multiplier, voltages, other are set in a database for the bios to use a safe OC. You will have to go in and manually set your memory speed in the bios, but that is 2-3 clicks and done there too.
    I used to love going to the beach during summer, until Greenpeace started trying to push me back in the water.