Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goit View Post
    Anyone that says the 'science is settled' and undeniable fact that cannot and will not be challenged is not a scientist.
    http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...094665,00.html
    You're right, any scientific theory should be open for revision, if enough indications arise to do so. At the moment, for GW, that is not the case.

And the faster-than-light neutrino? yeah I was right on the heels of that one.
    The researchers that conducted the experiment used a very strong variant of 'important, IF TRUE'. They challenged the community to find out why they got this result. Since then, there has been a mistake traced in the measuring methods. Turns out, neutrino's didn't move faster than light.

And to elaborate a bit more: If this mistake hadn't been found, and the experiment was stamped 'valid', similar experiments would be conducted around the world. And if they found the same results, only then had general relativity had a problem

I thought they discovered that the arctic cores were colder now than ever in recorded history?

Deleted
    Current trend could be described as silent scientific retreat. I think in about 10 years nobody will talk about GW anymore.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyJones View Post
    Tell me: What is this NEW type of radiation, that the sun has now started sending out - that can cause heating on the Earth and on Mars, but is COMPLETELY INVISIBLE AND UNDETECTABLE TO ALL OF OUR OBSERVATORIES, BOTH GROUNDBASED AND SPACEBASED?!
    Ease down a bit there.. Variations in the intensity of the sun's radiance have been measured (and they are cyclical), so the sun does cause climate change on all planets. As do Milankovitch cycles (and Mars will probably have something similar).
    Problem is, neither the sun, nor Milankovitch, is a sufficient answer to what's going on on Earth right now. Anthropogenic influence in the atmosphere is, although the extent and mechanisms are not completely clear. Mostly, but not completely.

It's not called Global Warming, due to there having been some periods where the earth has in fact gotten cooler. It's commonly referred to as Climate Change, for the previously mentioned reason. I don't deny that humans have contributed to climate change, however jumping on any 'green' bandwagon such as hybrid / electric cars, buying green power and participating in Earth Hour will be ineffective, as this will all be negated next time there is a volcano anywhere in the world.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taen View Post
    Wow, I can't believe it's been "elementary" this whole time! Someone call every respected climatologist in the field and tell them to stop working on this and abandon their scientific findings, an armchair expert has solved all our problems! Now we don't have to think about it anymore!
    You sir, are my hero of the month =) Seriously, the only people who are denying that we influence our climate are people who are uneducated on the science of it (or uneducated period) or are in straight denial because it upsets their world view. When people crush our world view boxes in any way, people lash out. See; Christopher Columbus.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyJones View Post
    You cannot use political viewpoints to counter-argue science.
    Actually you can. It's to do with the idea that every view point is theory laden, and that between your "controlled experiment" / "observation" there is the person doing the observing. The person who observes/perceives "interprets", and does so based on their "perspective". Given therefore that the objectivity scientific enquiriy strives for is, broadly speaking, unattainable (due to human interpretation), scientific enquiry becomes merely an ideology with fixed rules no better than any other "political" or "religious" (or whatever) belief system. It's equivocal. In fact, when it comes down to the very judgement of what system is superior, by what standard could one judge the competing systems without themselves offering a system of judgement? Moreover, it's quite often that a system will judge itself as the superior: Hence fundamentalism.

well killing until extinction of a few animal species that help our ecosystem is par of fun practice by human ... And it`s call hunting ...
    With the Japanese that kill wales for food and fun with other animal...
    With the general human like destroying what they build just for a few spit of oil ... event killing their friend for it ... well that fun for the human race always looking for power and don`t care for other.
    With the people don`t want to take care of the planet but prefer lives their life without thinking about the future of their own generation ...
    Deforestation ... well that fun lets do more...
    War ... well lets kill each other by launching next some nuclear weapon for fun ...
    well before the global warming kill us .. we gonna kill ourself with our own stupidity ...

To my understanding the global warming is true. What is debatable about it is, if we are the cause or is it natural. I can remember some stuff like that we started measuring temperatures during the coldest period in about thousand years so, of course, it is going up. Point is that is it doing it naturally or because of us.

Point now is that "do we feel lucky"? Maybe its natural.

or...maybe...just maybe we should take this as excuse to cut down polution. Why take chance? It isn't like reducing polution is harmful?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
    However jumping on any 'green' bandwagon such as hybrid / electric cars, buying green power and participating in Earth Hour will be ineffective, as this will all be negated next time there is a volcano anywhere in the world.
    So next time someone offers you to give you money, you'll say 'meh, my boss gives me money anyway, so I don't need any more money.'

It's not as if that volcano goes and calculates how much we have emitted and then fills up the quotum. Ours and its emissions will combine.

It's just a fairy tale, made up by these dirty propagators of renewable energy sources to destroy the hard-working men and women in the industry of fossil fuels and trying to deny them their well-earned 10000% price increase for the last barrel ever pumped.
    Last edited by Mekh; 2012-05-03 at 01:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    To my understanding the global warming is true. What is debatable about it is, if we are the cause or is it natural. I can remember some stuff like that we started measuring temperatures during the coldest period in about thousand years so, of course, it is going up. Point is that is it doing it naturally or because of us.

Point now is that "do we feel lucky"? Maybe its natural.

or...maybe...just maybe we should take this as excuse to cut down polution. Why take chance? It isn't like reducing polution is harmful?
    Some sense, exactly my thoughts. What do we loose in reducing poisonous gas emissions to the atmosphere, make energy production cheaper, renewable and cleaner, cutting down production costs on virtually everything and making the life easier and cheaper for everyone. Some people just cant let go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, 90% of the scientific community is clearly just trolling.
    Some time ago, the scientific community believed the earth was flat.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    It's just a fairy tale, made up by these dirty propagators of renewable energy sources to destroy the hard-working men and women in the industry of fossil fuels and trying to deny them their well-earned 10000% price increase for the last barrel ever pumped.
    You sir are a legend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    It's been BS for a long time.
    tbh this lol ^^

Quote Originally Posted by ghora View Post
    well killing until extinction of a few animal species that help our ecosystem is par of fun practice by human ... And it`s call hunting ...
    With the Japanese that kill wales for food and fun with other animal...
    With the general human like destroying what they build just for a few spit of oil ... event killing their friend for it ... well that fun for the human race always looking for power and don`t care for other.
    With the people don`t want to take care of the planet but prefer lives their life without thinking about the future of their own generation ...
    Deforestation ... well that fun lets do more...
    War ... well lets kill each other by launching next some nuclear weapon for fun ...
    well before the global warming kill us .. we gonna kill ourself with our own stupidity ...
    Not with my stupidity. The household pollution is less than 5% of all pollution. It is giant Conglomerets and Corporations that cause most of the pollution and they have money for Lobbists, Laws, Fake news stations and Propaganda.

It is a fact that the ozone layer is damaged, it is a fact that carbon causes greenhouse effect, it is a fact that a island nation will sink in the next few years because of climate change... there is far more evidence for people who want to know the truth.

The problem are the Criminals that run the world and care only about profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Themessiah View Post
    Actually you can. It's to do with the idea that every view point is theory laden, and that between your "controlled experiment" / "observation" there is the person doing the observing. The person who observes/perceives "interprets", and does so based on their "perspective". Given therefore that the objectivity scientific enquiriy strives for is, broadly speaking, unattainable (due to human interpretation), scientific enquiry becomes merely an ideology with fixed rules no better than any other "political" or "religious" (or whatever) belief system.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer_review

In fact, when it comes down to the very judgement of what system is superior, by what standard could one judge the competing systems without themselves offering a system of judgement? Moreover, it's quite often that a system will judge itself as the superior: Hence fundamentalism.
    Science isn't the superior system in examining the universe because we say so but because it produces tangible results. Your computer works because of science, it isn't a matter of personal opinion whether it works or not.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2012-05-03 at 01:37 PM.

In my view it doesn't matter if it's real or not; if it is we're helping the planet if its not we still become more efficient with our energy usage.

Denying man-made climate change is like denying evolution.

I cannot think of any, that have an interesting counter-theory. Not one.
    Science is about "the best explanation". And the best explanation, even if you don't want it to be true, IS anthropogenic global warming.
    So which is it? Is it the best explanation or the most interesting one that is about science? Because man made global warming certainly is interesting! While, "everything is natural, nothing to see here" is pretty boring. Also, are you a climatologist? Doubt it. So what do you know about the actual science and not the dumbed down versions? Id wager from nothing to jack squat. Like most of the people who are on board with global warming yet claim the science high ground.

You cannot use political viewpoints to counter-argue science.
    The irony of this statement is staggering.

This is the only reason I see for opponents to be opponents.
    And this is why nobody can have a discussion about global warming and counter to it is dismissed and why any REAL scientific discussion about it gets silenced. And its no wonder its impossible to try to counter the theory of man made global warming, anything is rejected or met with skepticism before its even considered! You prove this with your own statements.

And maybe if you payed attention to more than just "what is interesting" you'd know about little things like this

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news...te-change?lite

Or what about the 49 NASA scientists who say the science isn't settled? O wait, lemmie guess. They just don't like the idea of global warming so thats why they are against it, right? No wait, shills for big oil? Or just plain old kooky mavericks and part of a very very very small minority? Cause as we all know, "most REAL scientists agree" the science is settled and anyone who disagrees with man made global warming clearly is wrong or lieing.