POST/Boot speed.

Hi everyone,

Right off the bat, here's my PC specs. (everything at stock). Although, the problem persists with anything non-vital removed, so that's probably unnecessary.

ASRock Z68 Pro Gen3 Fatal1ty
    i5-2500k
    EVGA GTX570 1.3GB
    OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
    WD Caviar Black 1TB 32mb cache
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX
    G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 8GB
    Noctua NH-D14
    Rosewill Thor V2

Here's the problem. My PC takes around 17-18 seconds just to get past the ASRock splashcreen. 11 to get to the actual splashscreen and ~7 more to just get past it. I've tried it with nothing, but the CPU and RAM and all peripherals removed, the problem still persists. I've tried all BIOS settings that seemed like they could affect this, cleared CMOS via taking out the battery, draining power by pressing the power button and leaving it without the battery for a few minutes. The BIOS has been updated to the latest version. No fix.
    After trying all that, I decided to RMA the motherboard since it had some other minor problems like problematic overclocking when done manually instead of using presets. The new motherboard came in and it's still the same thing. At this point, it seems like it's either just the way the motherboard is or there's some BIOS setting which is not familiar to me or one I'm not even aware of. Or I got a motherboard with the exact same problem as the first one which is highly unlikely.

Plz halp.

P.S. Another PC with a Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 takes ~10-11 seconds to get past the splashcreen.
    Also, if whoever has an SSD could post their boot time, that would be cool.
    Last edited by Creotor; 2012-05-03 at 04:18 AM.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    You need to turn off all the components you don't use, specifically third-party SATA controllers with their own ROMs to really speed up your boot process. What's likely happening is your ASMedia SATA chipset is searching for a bootable disk and hangs there for a bit. It's also a remote possibility that your Realtek NIC is trying to find a bootable network volume too. After that, then your Intel SATA controller finally finds the boot disk and the POST will occur. Many BIO POST screens also implement a 5s delay.

I've basically disabled everything I don't use on my Asus P8P67 Deluxe...That includes:

Realtek LAN
    Marvell SATA
    JMicron SATA
    Firewire
    Bluetooth
    Serial

I've also set POST delay from 5s to 1s and told all my option ROMs to "keep current" instead of reading a new config.

Alright....

So I've disabled the ASMedia SATA ports and one of the LAN ports in addition to the serial, floppy and 1394 which were already off. LAN boot had been disabled some time prior to this and Setup Prompt time had been set to 1s also. No change . Not one second.

There's no option similar to keeping the current config instead of making/writing a new one.

Could it possibly have something to do with the PSU? There haven't been any other issues that would point to a faulty PSU, though...
    Last edited by Creotor; 2012-05-03 at 04:20 AM.

I have the same motherboard as creotor and dont have that issue hmmm
    You Can't C Me!!

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Only other thing I can think of is a startup memory check causing a delay...

Alright, I decided to try all possible combos of settings & hardware again and I guess I'm a dumbass because the results were quite different this time.

CPU + RAM + DVD-ROM = ~8 seconds to "no boot device" screen.
    CPU + RAM + SSD = ~8-9 seconds.
    CPU + RAM + SSD + HDD = ~18 seconds. Wait wut?! That's right. So I decided to be genius and plugged the HDD into ASMedia port and since it was set to non-bootable, that brought the time back down to ~9 seconds. (though, it seems like the HDD added 2-3 seconds to the OS loading time as opposed to just the SSD, could be wrong)
    CPU + RAM + SSD + HDD + GPU = ~17-18 seconds. Again?! Yep. Disabling Render Standby and IGD Monitor (the latter may have had no effect, actually) brought it down to a relatively sensible ~12-13 seconds.

The overall boot time is ~31-32 seconds. That's to the point of complete Windows load, without a spinning wheel.
    Probably will try a different brand for a mobo the next time.

TL;DR: My computer now beats that of my dad's with an HDD and weaker specs overall. Yay....