Poll: Are you more of an extrovert or introvert?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Extroverted or Introverted; the great discussion.

I would consider myself to be slightly, maybe even moderately introverted. I enjoy being by myself from time to time or reading a book in absolute silence. I usually don't turn on the radio on short car rides or make absurd comments to strangers while waiting in line. It's not to say I am anti-social, I love being with people - just not constantly, and I'm certainly not very shy. I enjoy group work and most people say my eye contact is very strong.

It seems like our society is extremely extroverted, which is a terrible thing in my eyes. Introversion allows for a higher respect for one's self and a deeper understanding of one's soul. Our society mistakes introversion for shyness or social awkwardness, which is really unfortunate. Just because I don't laugh at every dirty joke or publicly announce a bowl movement doesn't mean I'm a freak.

Not to say extroversion is bad, my closest friends are extroverted, as well as much of my family. There's much to be said on the subject, and it's not often talked about.
    Last edited by Debased; 2012-05-03 at 03:40 AM.

Personally, I'm very much introverted.

That said, I think that you're over-analyzed this a bit. "Introversion allows for a higher respect for one's self and a deeper understanding of one's soul"? I understand what you're saying, but...deeper understanding of one's soul? I simply enjoy being by myself, and not having to deal with everyone's bullshit.

In high school I was an extrovert. Now that I'm in college I'm a bit of both, it depends on the situation. Sometimes I'll be an introvert but most of the time I'm still an extrovert.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like George Carlin once said, I like people in short bursts.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    This is MMO-Champion. Of course most people here are going to be introverts.

INFP, 100% introverted here.
    Last edited by Coffer; 2012-05-03 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffer View Post
    Pretty much what I'm thinking. Asking on a gaming website is going to slightly alter the vote. I'm not surprised at all that it is currently 15 to 1 Introverted.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffer View Post
    Exactly. You go on an internet gaming forum, you're going to get introverts. Some won't be, but most will.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Exactly. You go on an internet gaming forum, you're going to get introverts. Some won't be, but most will.
    Yeah, it likely will be quite one sided. I'm an INTJ though in response to OP.

Deleted
    I'm an extrovert, for the most part. While lately my patience for bullshit has gone down, I'm still outspoken about what and how I feel and enjoy the company of people. I'm fairly straightforward in my day-to-day interactions and don't particularly try to hide anything from onlookers because I simply don't care what most people think.

There are however things and feelings that I prefer to keep myself, either because they're random bursts of emotion that only last for a few seconds/minutes once in a blue moon, or because they're not something I feel the need to share. If something's bothering me over a long period of time however, I will open up about it to my close friends though.

Haha, true true. I think I confused RPG gamers with FPS gamers, who of which are usually more extroverted for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    You'd think true introverts wouldn't want to socialize online, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlor View Post
    I think you people are stretching the definition of introvert to extreme lengths. Introverts are not people who are afraid of the sun and afraid of human interaction. Socializing online doesn't stop you from being an introvert.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

No doubt. But if the point is to avoid dealing with people's bullshit, as somebody said above, I for one have encountered WAY more bullshit in my online interactions than in my offline ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlor View Post
    See, a common misconception. Introverts aren't against social interaction, they enjoy it as much as anyone. They just generally prefer smaller groups and calmer environments. It quite hard to have a good discussion when some dumb@ss extrovert is blurting out every absurdity that crosses their mind.

The last statement is not a personal attack.

10+ Year Old Account
    My location is irrelevant to your interests
    I would say I'm an introvert, but sometimes it just feels like I'm shy.

According to Wikipedia, being an introvert is not the same as being shy. Chances are, a lot of people here thought the opposite (just like me up until a few minutes ago) so the result is going to be largely incorrect. Unless that is the definition the OP had in mind.

INTJ here. They're only supposed to represent 4% of the population but seem to pop up a lot in MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    ISTP here, since we're listing Myers-Briggs scores
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Zulathar View Post
    See, a common misconception. Introverts aren't against social interaction, they enjoy it as much as anyone. They just generally prefer smaller groups and calmer environments. It quite hard to have a good discussion when some dumb@ss extrovert is blurting out every absurdity that crosses their mind.

The last statement is not a personal attack.
    I agree with this. But to add, I also really hate it when people ignore me mid sentence or talk over me. I can't really be talked over on a forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I like being on my own every now and then, helps with thoughts. Mostly it's with music though, but on my own no less. Now, that is not to say that I'm not social. I can be. I have no issues being with people. In fact, you'd be surprised how well I can talk in public, how I can talk people into doing various things.