Cheapest Gaming PC (Self Build)

Building a system for my buddy who clenches pennies in his ass he's so cheap. Thought I'd post here so anyone can take a look to copy it or give suggestions. **DISCLAIMER** This pc is for Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Diablo 3, and League of Legends on high/ultra settings at 1680x1050 res.***

**EDITED WITH SUGGESTIONS THROUGHOUT THE THREAD**

CPU: Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core ($84.99)
    GPU: EVGA Super Clocked 460 GTX ($124.99 after rebate)
    Mobo: MSI H61M-P20 ($49.99)
    RAM: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 MHz ($24.99)
    PSU: Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V ($37.99)
    Case: HEC 6K11BB Black 0.8mm SECC Steel MicroATX Mini Tower ($29.99)
    Hard Drive: W.D. Caviar Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s ($69.99)

Total (with no monitor, keyboard, mouse, or speakers): $422.93

EDIT: If you are looking for a monitor, you can usually find a similar resolution (1680x1050) ~22 inch monitor in local/online adds for around 40-60 bucks, look for the deals.

Again, recommended play on a 1680x1050 resolution monitor with mostly high-to-ultra settings enabled. This was the best I could come up with after reviewing benchmarks on processors, graphics cards, and memory requirements. Feel free to add or take away from this list if you see a better fit somewhere. This is a very capable entry level price with hardware that shouldn't blow out in the first week. Good luck!
    Last edited by Uncle Julian; 2012-05-04 at 04:35 PM.

That PSU is going to fail and hopefully take parts with it, teaching him a valuable lesson.

yeah im not so sure about these parts. did you make sure everything compatible? but i agree you need a bigger power supply.

Yes everything is compatible, 50w over suggested power.

Deleted
    Some pointers:
    - Get a Pentium G-series Sandy Bridge CPU instead, e.g. the G850. There is no need for HT in games and while it is nice for running games in the background it's hardly needed.
    - I believe you can pick up a 6870 for a bit cheaper now (around ~$135) which outperforms the 460.
    - Do yourself a favor and stay far away from that PSU. Get a proper unit that won't "blow up".
    - Don't get a "second hand" harddrive, unless it is still being covered by warranty.

In comparison, the 450 build from my sample builds:

Extreme Budget Gaming 450
    MoBo: ASRock H61M-VS$54.99
    CPU: Intel Pentium G850$87.99
    RAM: Crucial 1333MHz 2x2GB$22.99
    GPU: MSI GTX 460$139.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 320GB$74.99
    PSU: Antec VP-450W$39.99 Review
    Case: NZXT Source 210$39.99
    --------------------------------------------------
    Estimated Total Price – $461

Recommended for:
    Budget gaming build that can handle most
    newer games. Offers great value for money.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think he came here for help, I believe he was just telling us how great the PC he just bought was

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Some pointers:
    - Get a Pentium G-series Sandy Bridge CPU instead, e.g. the G850. There is no need for HT in games and while it is nice for running games in the background it's hardly needed.
    - I believe you can pick up a 6870 for a bit cheaper now (around ~$135) which outperforms the 460.
    - Do yourself a favor and stay far away from that PSU. Get a proper unit that won't "blow up".
    - Don't get a "second hand" harddrive, unless it is still being covered by warranty.

In comparison, the 450 build from my sample builds:

Extreme Budget Gaming 450
    MoBo: ASRock H61M-VS$54.99
    CPU: Intel Pentium G850$87.99
    RAM: Crucial 1333MHz 2x2GB$22.99
    GPU: MSI GTX 460$139.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 320GB$74.99
    PSU: Antec VP-450W$39.99 Review
    Case: NZXT Source 210$39.99
    --------------------------------------------------
    Estimated Total Price – $461

Recommended for:
    Budget gaming build that can handle most
    newer games. Offers great value for money.
    Thanks for the input, I hadn't done any research into the G series processors. After reading up on them, the G850 does sound like quite a deal for a capable gaming processor. I'll update that as well as the power supply when I get home. My thought was 50w psu over the required would make up for a low-quality psu (even though that Apevia gets decent reviews on newegg), but a 450w psu from a great brand would make more sense. I'm going to stick with EVGA's super clocked card as I believe that gives substantial performance over the reference speeds. I'm still debating on the amount of ram. I suppose 4 gb would do just fine, maybe find 2 sticks of 3 gb (if they exist?) for a price in between the 4g and 8g amounts. I might stick with 4 gb and get a non-refurbished drive too (that actualy sounds like a better option). I'll post more info when I have time after work.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    4 gigs is fine for a budget build no need for a 8 gig set up.

Alllllllrighty, I finally got everything updated! I put a notice to reflect changes and I'll try to keep it updated as best as I can. I didn't even bother to look on other sites other than Newegg because of their superb customer service and return policy's. Although there are a few other good sites like Amazon and Chiefvalue.com. I still would recommend browsing local/online adds for used computer cases as those are a dime a dozen and you could shave off probably another $15 there.

Also, is there a way I can add the current price to the title of the thread?
    Last edited by Uncle Julian; 2012-05-04 at 05:28 PM.