USB Wifi adaptor, what should I be looking at?

Hey guys, I'm going to buy a usb wifi connector today, what should I be looking at? What would be a good bang for your buck?

No idea what I should be looking at to be honest, should I be looking at Mbps and stuff like that? Or is the Mbps on adaptors nowadays high enough to not have to look at?

Any good brands out there, is Belkin any good?

Help me out please

10+ Year Old Account
    i have a netgear wna3100, cost me about 30 quid, gives me a strong signal of 130 Mb/s

so unless you share files over the network with other computers, or have an internet connection in excess of 100Mb/s, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a usb wifi dongle

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamlore View Post
    What you should be looking for, is PCI-e WiFi card...
    I second this.

I've been using a D-Link DWA-140 for about 3 weeks now and I get consant hick-ups, not to mention that the speed and ping has increased. If you want wireless, get a PCI card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't get a usb one.

All laptops from the last 5 years at least have a wifi card built in. Do you mean a 3G card? In which case:
    Don't get a usb one.

Seriously, pay the extra and get a PCI card one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I second this.

I've been using a D-Link DWA-140 for about 3 weeks now and I get consant hick-ups, not to mention that the speed and ping has increased. If you want wireless, get a PCI card.
    surely that would be a speed decrease? or a ping decrease depending which way you read the line

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    surely that would be a speed decrease? or a ping decrease depending which way you read the line
    Yea, speed decrease - ping increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Conzar View Post
    Seriously, pay the extra and get a PCI card one.
    This ^^^ all the way.

They arent hard to connect and install, at all. ive got a basic one, but it can still handle what my mediocre at best line can pump out no problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    You should not be looking for a USB one as everyone has said. I've had nothing but issues with all the USB adapters I've used. Will never go back to them again
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

After an increasing amount of troubles with USB adapters, I've been considering going PCI myself. It's an absolute PITA with USB dongles.

I have Airties AIR 2310 (USB that everyone hates, I can't understand why)

Had it for 14 months now, I don't have latency->speed decrease issues so if your budget is limited and/or you don't want to spend the extra buck on the PCI one, I can vouch for this little badboy.

I've never used PCI thingie, but I tested my speed/latency(on wow) with both ethernet and this USB thing, they're both same (of course wireless is a bit slower, but I suppose it's because it's wireless)

10+ Year Old Account
    If you are not going for a pci card one, which should be your first choice I would suggest getting a Cisco certified one like Kinksys or Valet. As for the wireless itself you should be looking at the least wireless n or wireless n dual pass for a fast connection. The difference between the two is dual pass uses 2 wireless n connections and doubles your connection speed.

My wifes wireless in her HP laptop is crap so we got a Dual pass Linksys AE1000 and it has had 0 issues. The link is below for it on newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124389