Thread: HDD cleanup

HDD cleanup

Im looking at cleaning up all the junk on my HDD. Is there any good freeware programs that i could use or would it just be easier to format my HDD and reinstall from a backup disc?

Quote Originally Posted by ltobvious View Post
    easier to format my HDD and reinstall
    You answered your own question.

Deleted
    CCLeaner is a good one or if you want to really wipe a HDD use DBan also free.

Try tuneup utilities.It has 15 day trial, you can list all the files and delete.

10+ Year Old Account
    cclean, defraggler then just manually delete what you dont need.

I just do it manually. I go through every folder on my computer, delete stuff I don't want to keep, and anytime I come up with something I don't recognize, I study up on it and deal with it accordingly.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you're looking to manually find files and such that are too large that you don't care about, check out SpaceSniffer. It will give you a visual layout of your folders, and you can expand certain trees to see exactly how much space something takes up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZvzW4eitdo
    That's an example of it in action.

Assuming windows you could try the built-in Disk Cleanup tool to see if you can free up some space.
    Likely temp files/recycle bin which will be taking up most space.
    I would run that on other drives you have too, since I found that a recycle bin was created on them and taking up space when I otherwise could not see it.

CCleaner is more thorough, but if not careful you can delete things you should not be.
    Unless you have a real need a format and reinstall is by far the most effective option.

i just backup my stuff and reinstall windows about once a year even if it don't need it just to keep things running smooth

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Easiest would just clean your drive by formatting it.

If u dont want to format, do these:

1. Delete every programm u know, that u wont be needing anymore.
    2. Clean with Ccleaner.
    3. Error check & defrag your drive.