Quote Originally Posted by Grantji View Post
    I know it's a very vague statement, but it sounds like they don't intend to utilize an ingame cash shop ...
    Heh, it's funny because people are being monetized with a subscription : P

Oh wordsmithing, you shall never cease to entertain me : D

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Where do they say that?

As always, I'm skeptical of a modern MMO launching without a cash shop. They've proven to be far too lucrative for pretty much every MMO that's included it (including EVE and WoW).

Which F2P/B2P games require you to spend more than $15 a month?
    show me where i said it was a requirement and i'll answer this dumbass question. what's your problem? you sound like you got your panties all in a wad now that you know teso isn't f2p.

gw/gw2 is turning a profit with their b2p + cash shop or they'd went out of business 8 years ago. $15 worth of stuff isn't a lot of stuff in any game.
    Last edited by mmotroof; 2013-08-21 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmotroof View Post
    show me where i said it was a requirement and i'll answer this dumbass question. what's your problem? you sound like you got your panties all in a wad now that you know teso isn't f2p.
    You imply that it's necessary to spend $15 a month or more on the game by saying people rarely spend less than that. Sorry if I jumped to conclusions, but that's usually the argument that follows after, "people spend more than $15 a month in F2P games!"

And we can do without the insults. Post respectfully or don't post at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I can see this scaring off the console gamers, as a sub fee for a single game is foreign to them for the most part. This resurgence in the P2P model is strange. Wildstar, FF14 and now ESO.

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf Lord View Post
    Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I can see this scaring off the console gamers, as a sub fee for a single game is foreign to them for the most part. This resurgence in the P2P model is strange. Wildstar, FF14 and now ESO.
    Well, for FFXIV it's a continuation of the 1.0 philosophy, and for ESO it makes some sense because development started at the absolute height of the MMO craze when everyone was trying to beat WoW at its own game and subscriptions were the only game in town.

WildStar is really the only significant outlier of the group.

Curious to see how they're going to try to sell this en-mass to console gamers though. They didn't adopt DCUO in large numbers, and while FFXI saw some solid success, much of it was in Japan and related more to the IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf Lord View Post
    I wouldn't call it a resurgence. Keep in mind, Tera, Rift, and swtor all launched as subscription. Everyone just transitions to F2P.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    I wouldn't call it a resurgence. Keep in mind, Tera, Rift, and swtor all launched as subscription. Everyone just transitions to F2P.
    I guess I should say there was a "brief pause" in the P2P model. NWO, GW2, Age of Wushu, Firefall and (I think) Defiance were non P2P MMOs that have recently come out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Curious to see how they're going to try to sell this en-mass to console gamers though. They didn't adopt DCUO in large numbers, and while FFXI saw some solid success, much of it was in Japan and related more to the IP.
    The Elder Scrolls name will attract a lot of people. And since you have to buy a copy, they might end up having a restrictive free trial so people can test the waters. If they get hooked, they'll be more open to the idea of a sub fee.

Honestly relieved, getting the whole game for a single manageable fee per month is what I like, no cash shops spamming me with crap to buy or bratty 10 year olds that got the game for xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Prancing Minstrel View Post
    Honestly relieved, getting the whole game for a single manageable fee per month is what I like, no cash shops spamming me with crap to buy or bratty 10 year olds that got the game for xmas.
    - Cash shops don't spam you, that's Chinese farmers.
    - Cash shops come in different types; The ones that you can't do without, because content without cash shop is too hard to progress through [bad]. The ones that sell progress and power, but not required to pass through content[mediocre] and the ones that only sell progress up til the XP roof, accompanied by luxery items such as costumes, pets, etc [reasonably good]. Assuming the new batch of P2P don't go crazy on the cashshop features, this 'mix' of payment models might work.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-08-21 at 11:27 AM.

Yep this game is DOA, will go F2P in less than six months

Deleted
    That people in 2013 still believe that a sub fee conveys a more mature player base or a better service (in terms of content and balance) is a testament to how effective the marketing experts of big gaming companies are in overriding basic facts which would require just to stick your head out and look and how things are in reality.
    GW2 may have all its faults, certainly, but I consistently play with 30+ yo people much more frequently than on WoW servers, a free content patch is released every 2 weeks and everything on the cash shop is available also for in-game gold, doesn't affect combat and includes account services that WoW offers only for real money. I mean, what the hell are we still talking about?

B2P with no sub fee is perfectly viable quality wise. It's just somewhat less profitable for the developer, not for you. TESO could have brought this model one step further, but they dropped the ball...
    Last edited by mmocca8cc527ec; 2013-08-21 at 12:17 PM.

Deleted
    I'm actually really happy they decided to go with a subscription based model. At least it motivates people working there to work for players and the support should be good. Never have I seen a decent support in F2P or B2P games. Also, I'm very glad there wont be such shitty practices like "You buy what you want" aka SWTOR. $15 will include everything. Kudos to them for going with this decision. I was afraid they might go for B2P because of the consoles but I was gladly proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    - Cash shops don't spam you, that's Chinese farmers.
    - Cash shops come in different types; The ones that you can't do without, because content without cash shop is too hard to progress through [bad]. The ones that sell progress and power, but not required to pass through content[mediocre] and the ones that only sell progress up til the XP roof, accompanied by luxery items such as costumes, pets, etc [reasonably good]. Assuming the new batch of P2P don't go crazy on the cashshop features, this 'mix' of payment models might work.
    When they have a prominent glowing button on the same bar as all the important ones, or a popup every time you log in tell you to buy shit, it's spam. You seem to judge a shop by how easily you can ignore it and not pay towards keeping the servers running and content developed. If you're going to mooch then I hope you don't play, I want the game to last more than 6 months before going bankrupt.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    by adopting a sub model, TESO is going directly against WOW on its own turf. this is worrysome. I want a viable and properous TESO. Going in the exact same league as wow is very risky. in any case, to justify a monthly fee, the game will need a decent endgame and regular content patch.

We'll just have to see what they come up with.

I don't see a subscription model working out when it looks like they're going to make the same mistakes The Old Republic did. Hell, I even recall seeing them backtrack from the MMORPG label and say something like "this is just like the other Elder Scrolls games, you can just choose to play it with others if you feel like it". I think it's just going to be another one of those games which requires no social interaction to play through the content, and in turn you'll get a myriad of players who essentially treat it as a second rate single player game, and then abandon it when they feel they are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Prancing Minstrel View Post
    When they have a prominent glowing button on the same bar as all the important ones, or a popup every time you log in tell you to buy shit, it's spam. You seem to judge a shop by how easily you can ignore it and not pay towards keeping the servers running and content developed. If you're going to mooch then I hope you don't play, I want the game to last more than 6 months before going bankrupt.
    I judge a shop based on fair/unfair. FYI, I invested $120 in Firefall (F2P) which is the same as 10 months subscription. So I wouldn't worry about that too much. You seem to judge a persons character rather black and white. I just made a collection of three types of cash shops in the order of most effect on the game to least effect on the game.

So they didn't learn SWTOR & Rift's mistakes huh... Kinda sad.

Ooooooh....People are going to be upset with this one.

Now imo, It makes zero sense for an Elder Scrolls game to be P2P. Everyone expected it to be B2P for a damn good reason.

I'm fine with Wildstar's choice to go P2P. But Elder Scrolls Online? No. I think this is a HUGE blow to the game. Their obviously trying to cater to Skyrim player's, and this is not going to help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I judge a shop based on fair/unfair. FYI, I invested $120 in Firefall (F2P) which is the same as 10 months subscription. So I wouldn't worry about that too much. You seem to judge a persons character rather black and white. I just made a collection of three types of cash shops in the order of most effect on the game to least effect on the game.
    Most effect/least effect is the same as most/least pressure to pay. And I said 'if' for a reason, if you don't act like a parasite on it plenty of others will, which is why shops are so often forced to sell more and more important things to keep earning enough money for the game to continue existence. Should the game not be worth the monthly fee, then I wouldn't want to play it anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbzow View Post
    So they didn't learn SWTOR & Rift's mistakes huh... Kinda sad.
    Perhaps they did and now they will avoid them. Those two games mistake wasn't that they made the game subscription based, but because they failed to provide good and enough content for players.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Now imo, It makes zero sense for an Elder Scrolls game to be P2P. Everyone expected it to be B2P for a damn good reason.
    What reason is that? And who's at fault for making up things for themselves and then be disappointed?