1. #1221
    Moderator aiko-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    5,548
    I signed up and my application said "Excellent" but I haven't received a confirmation email. I probably messed up my email address, because I'm a klutz....oh well.

  2. #1222
    Herald of the Titans Yakobro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,631
    Quote Originally Posted by wynterlyn View Post
    Oh christ get over yourself. I mean who said that is the best way to play the game? WoW??? Look how much WoW has ruined the MMO community and gamers in general. AFter the LFD introduction in WoW, every single new game that has come out recently were forced to introduce some kind of LFD feature after constant whinning from the player base after launch.

    City raids only work in WoW cause there are 2 factions. And city raids remove immersion. I mean you kill King Varian but he respawns in a few minutes? WTF??????

    I just hope the WoW crowd sticks with WoW. WE could really do with less of you folk.

    And if it doesn't get into your thick skull, the reason they ain't having open WPVP is cause the entire premise of TES:Online is the battle for Cyrodiil. It would seem foolish to move attention to other matters. And I am sure in future expansions, zones will open up while new challenges are faced. For now it makes perfect sense why they have locked zones.

    In fact it feels very natural. IF you are in war with another country thousands of years ago are you just going to glide through with no consequences? It makes perfect sense why outsiders are not permitted inside hostile territory. In fact it feels more natural and very immersive.
    Haha
    Good one.
    And LFD is a great feature, the no-consequences via x-server aspect of it isn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I signed up and my application said "Excellent" but I haven't received a confirmation email. I probably messed up my email address, because I'm a klutz....oh well.
    They said up to 48h, I imagine they're getting alot of applications and they probably have to check each of them or something.

  3. #1223
    Firstly, how does LFD have anything to do with what I said? Maybe that was your example of how WoW "ruined the MMO community" (although a game that pulled MMORPGs from the niche rut to one of the forefront of video gaming hardly ruined the genre), but it's completely irrelevant to this discussion. So if anything, get over yourself, because you're obviously bringing anti-WoW agendas in here that were wrought from my example of WoW. As much as you dislike the game, it's still a pretty good example of a good game. I quit the game too, but I can respect that there are many good things about it. I'm hardly "you folk" when I haven't played WoW in two years.

    So it feels completely natural and immersive to you when there are walls in the middle of nowhere, right? Yea, that seems just like everyday life. Remember that time when you were walking outside and then all of a sudden you stopped?

    You "are sure that in future expansions zones will open up while new challenges are faced?" What the hell are you, a PR baby? Nobody needs that vague bullshit, so please don't spread it. Vague bullshit is what killed SWTOR. Vague bullshit is what made people hope for guild ships and customized housing one day, but that stuff hasn't happened a year after the game has released, and it's over obsessive fans like you who fawn over every aspect of the game that helps ruin it by not realizing that there are very significant flaws and clinks in the design. I know, because I was like that with TOR. You can't accept bullshit with the clause of "it'll be better someday, just you wait!" If you accept it then that's what they'll give you.

    Future expansions don't matter now, and I think it's completely nonsensical to put your hopes on what a game that'll come out in a year will be like even in the further future. Jesus Christ. What comes out at release is what matters, what comes out at release is what people will judge the game by, even if it improves over time.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2013-01-23 at 03:14 AM.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  4. #1224
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakobo15 View Post
    Haha
    Good one.
    And LFD is a great feature, the no-consequences via x-server aspect of it isn't.



    They said up to 48h, I imagine they're getting alot of applications and they probably have to check each of them or something.
    How can you praise the LFD feature but still have reservations of the no-consequences of the x-server aspect of it?

    I mean isn't that what LFD does? How would a LFD feature only on a single realm? Sure it could probably work towards the end game but how would such a feature work at the lower levels?

    The thing is people have not patience. The common complaint you hear is "I don't want to join a guild to play a game". You don't have to join a guild to play a game. In fact most of what I have done, raiding, heroic raiding, dungeons, etc has all been done outside of my guild. I've spent all my time in a RP guild where PVE and PVP isn't the main objective

    Its easier if you learn to make friends. Otherwise why on earth are you playing an MMO? After all MMOs require some kind of social interaction. Blizzard had to remove group quests too cause of this and also cause there were not enough people out in the world.

    But that is what LFD did. It didn't teach people about their class cause its so easy to get carried in a group of 5 when you have 4 others carrying your ass. And then you have people that screw up in Heroic dungeons.

    LFD isn't a good feature. Is it a time saver? Sure. Is it convenient? Sure. But it doesn't offer anything to the community.

  5. #1225
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I signed up and my application said "Excellent" but I haven't received a confirmation email. I probably messed up my email address, because I'm a klutz....oh well.
    It most likely went to your spam folder, I have gmail and I know that mine did. I had to go in there and mark it as "not spam".

  6. #1226
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Firstly, how does LFD have anything to do with what I said? Maybe that was your example of how WoW "ruined the MMO community" (although a game that pulled MMORPGs from the niche rut to one of the forefront of video gaming hardly ruined the genre), but it's completely irrelevant to this discussion. So if anything, get over yourself, because you're obviously bringing anti-WoW agendas in here that were wrought from my example of WoW. As much as you dislike the game, it's still a pretty good example of a good game. I quit the game too, but I can respect that there are many good things about it. I'm hardly "you folk" when I haven't played WoW in two years.

    So it feels completely natural and immersive to you when there are walls in the middle of nowhere, right? Yea, that seems just like everyday life. Remember that time when you were walking outside and then all of a sudden you stopped?

    You "are sure that in future expansions zones will open up while new challenges are faced?" What the hell are you, a PR baby? Nobody needs that vague bullshit, so please don't spread it. Vague bullshit is what killed SWTOR. Vague bullshit is what made people hope for guild ships and customized housing one day, but that stuff hasn't happened a year after the game has released, and it's over obsessive fans like you who fawn over every aspect of the game that helps ruin it by not realizing that there are very significant flaws and clinks in the design. I know, because I was like that with TOR.
    I am bringing WoW agenda in here? Whatever you said in your post was about what WoW has and TES:O doesn't. You talking like WoW doesn't have walls? We still have walls in the Eastern Kingdoms since you can't fly across the elf starting area. Doesn't that ruin the immersion?

    And I am pretty sure they are going to work something out in a way it doesn't make you feel like you are walking against a wall. And you talk about vague bulshit? Isn't that what the blizzard devs have been feeding you people?

    "Oh character re-models will be done SOON". "Oh that is on our to do list". "Yes we plan on doing it in the future". Well no one gives a shit about ToR. Half the time the game was just hyped. You had a bunch of Star Wars lunatics that were so clouded about the franchise, they over looked the game from the start. I am just surprised anyone actually expected it to be a "hit".

    WoW is hardly a good example of a good game these days. That is why they are losing subscribers. It is nothing more than a lobby within a theme park. You park yourself in a city and queue for things. How does dailies in WoW help in immersion? Are you telling me that I have to kill Problem a million times before he forgets to spawn in Tol Barrad?

  7. #1227
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    23,215
    Quote Originally Posted by wynterlyn View Post
    I am bringing WoW agenda in here? Whatever you said in your post was about what WoW has and TES:O doesn't. You talking like WoW doesn't have walls? We still have walls in the Eastern Kingdoms since you can't fly across the elf starting area. Doesn't that ruin the immersion?

    And I am pretty sure they are going to work something out in a way it doesn't make you feel like you are walking against a wall. And you talk about vague bulshit? Isn't that what the blizzard devs have been feeding you people?

    "Oh character re-models will be done SOON". "Oh that is on our to do list". "Yes we plan on doing it in the future". Well no one gives a shit about ToR. Half the time the game was just hyped. You had a bunch of Star Wars lunatics that were so clouded about the franchise, they over looked the game from the start. I am just surprised anyone actually expected it to be a "hit".

    WoW is hardly a good example of a good game these days. That is why they are losing subscribers. It is nothing more than a lobby within a theme park. You park yourself in a city and queue for things. How does dailies in WoW help in immersion? Are you telling me that I have to kill Problem a million times before he forgets to spawn in Tol Barrad?
    This really shouldn't be discussed here. It's Elder Scrolls not a WoW bash thread. As tempting as I am to make a compelling argument to make defending WoW I will resist.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple https://twitter.com/Aeluron1989

  8. #1228
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    This really shouldn't be discussed here. It's Elder Scrolls not a WoW bash thread. As tempting as I am to make a compelling argument to make defending WoW I will resist.
    I am only responding to what he said. No one brought up WoW in this thread without reason. He started comparing TES:O to WoW. If he likes WoW so much, let him stick to WoW. We don't need goofs like him ruining a game and franchise that everyone has come to love and which has a player base bigger than WoW.

    Half the WoW population are filled with Asians that enjoy grinding their ass 24/7.

  9. #1229
    Holy shit; dailies, character models, Tol Barad, how is any of this related to the discussion, and how are you still denying that you don't have an anti-WoW agenda? It's also hilarious that you think "no flying in elf starting zone" is anywhere as significant as the "you can't explore more than half of the world" issue in ESO.

    Mentioning one WoW aspect doesn't mean I agree with the entire game, there are still reasons why I quit. And "you people"? Wipe the foam off your jaws, your rabid is showing. I haven't played the game in 2 years, but I'm not enough of an idiot to forget why they have more than double the amount of subscribers than the game next in line. There are good aspects of WoW, and one of them is the freedom of the world.

    Are you honestly defending restriction? Tell me, I would like you to say it, because that's what you're doing. You're defending restrictions and denying freedom in the game.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 11:24 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by wynterlyn View Post
    I am only responding to what he said. No one brought up WoW in this thread without reason. He started comparing TES:O to WoW. If he likes WoW so much, let him stick to WoW. We don't need goofs like him ruining a game and franchise that everyone has come to love and which has a player base bigger than WoW.

    Half the WoW population are filled with Asians that enjoy grinding their ass 24/7.
    And now you're being racist. No wonder you have a tendency for "you people".
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  10. #1230
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Umm, how exactly is that goofy? Lol. That's how most 1st person AND 3rd person games work on PC.
    Just doesn't jive well for me, not what I'm used to in an mmorpg. Also, the Skyrim type of controls give me motion sickness. If I can't turn and look like I do on WoW, Rift, LOTRO, etc etc- I'm not going to be able to play it. It starts off with quickly getting a headache, then quickly getting a feeling like I'm going to puke.

    I remember the first time a long time ago that I saw a friend playing Doom, any type of first person game, or even a 3rd person game with the wrong type of looking around controls does it to me. I don't think that any game maker ever takes that into account when they make a game, but hopefully this game will keep with the same mmorpg style controls of turning left and right instead of strafe with the movement keys and look to a direction with the mouse as they have previously in their games.

  11. #1231
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Holy shit; dailies, character models, Tol Barad, how is any of this related to the discussion, and how are you still denying that you don't have an anti-WoW agenda? It's also hilarious that you think "no flying in elf starting zone" is anywhere as significant as the "you can't explore more than half of the world" issue in ESO.

    Mentioning one WoW aspect doesn't mean I agree with the entire game, there are still reasons why I quit. And "you people"? Wipe the foam off your jaws, your rabid is showing. I haven't played the game in 2 years, but I'm not enough of an idiot to forget why they have more than double the amount of subscribers than the game next in line. There are good aspects of WoW, and one of them is the freedom of the world.

    Are you honestly defending restriction? Tell me, I would like you to say it, because that's what you're doing. You're defending restrictions and denying freedom in the game.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 11:24 AM ----------



    And now you're being racist. No wonder you have a tendency for "you people".
    Well get your facts right first. It has the most subscribers cause half the player base comes from the Asian countries. And probably a good portion of them are gold farmers.

    So when you look at the finer details, WoW basically has a player base of 2 -3 million in NA and a few million in Europe. Since none of the recent MMOs have hardly gone world wide. And WoW was an RTS game before it became an MMo something asians have a thing for. And if Pandaland wasn't released to patronize the Asians.

    And I have not only touched on one aspect of wow.

    Listen I don't care to continue this discussion any further. You stop comparing and expecting TES;O to be a WoW2. Then you have the player base bitching that the recent MMO is just a WoW clone. Deal with the game or you don't need to play it.

  12. #1232
    Quote Originally Posted by wynterlyn View Post
    Well get your facts right first. It has the most subscribers cause half the player base comes from the Asian countries. And probably a good portion of them are gold farmers.
    Firstly, you do realize that for gold farmers to sell gold, they'd have to play on Western servers, meaning the fact that they're Asian at all is irrelevant since they'd be paying NA/EU prices, right? Those of you who point out the gold farmers issue always seem to forget that little logic jump, it's amusing.

    So when you look at the finer details, WoW basically has a player base of 2 -3 million in NA and a few million in Europe. Since none of the recent MMOs have hardly gone world wide. And WoW was an RTS game before it became an MMo something asians have a thing for. And if Pandaland wasn't released to patronize the Asians.

    And I have not only touched on one aspect of wow.

    Listen I don't care to continue this discussion any further. You stop comparing and expecting TES;O to be a WoW2. Then you have the player base bitching that the recent MMO is just a WoW clone. Deal with the game or you don't need to play it.
    This "discussion" has been completely idiotic, and that hasn't been any fault of mine. All I mentioned was that the game should have freedom and there should be no invisible walls. That hardly means I want a WoW2, you keep conveniently forgetting that I'm not even a WoW player. WoW was merely an example I used; plenty of games have open worlds, and I would like ESO to have that too. Most of this discussion hasn't even been about ESO, it's been you attacking WoW for no reason at all, mentioning points that have nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Why? Because you don't care to discuss the real issue here, you just want to bash WoW, when I'm not really pro-WoW in the first place. I just mentioned it because it has the freedom of world that ESO should have, not because "WoW has it ESO should have it too", but because of relevant details that I mentioned in my first post.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  13. #1233
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar:鉄花まき
    Posts
    7,173
    Quit the pointless bickering and veiled insults

  14. #1234
    I included a couple of haikus with my application. I'm thinking it's a strong application.

  15. #1235
    I am Murloc! Alenarien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antrim, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,724
    Signed up to the beta with a 'excellent' chance of getting in. Here's hoping; would love for there to finally be a viable WoW alternative that doesn't die in less than a year.
    In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers, we are not simply protecting their trivial old age, we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956

  16. #1236
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyana View Post
    Just doesn't jive well for me, not what I'm used to in an mmorpg. Also, the Skyrim type of controls give me motion sickness. If I can't turn and look like I do on WoW, Rift, LOTRO, etc etc- I'm not going to be able to play it. It starts off with quickly getting a headache, then quickly getting a feeling like I'm going to puke.

    I remember the first time a long time ago that I saw a friend playing Doom, any type of first person game, or even a 3rd person game with the wrong type of looking around controls does it to me. I don't think that any game maker ever takes that into account when they make a game, but hopefully this game will keep with the same mmorpg style controls of turning left and right instead of strafe with the movement keys and look to a direction with the mouse as they have previously in their games.
    I find the wow/mmo style of control to be off putting and immersion breaking, if you are the character how exactly are you to see behind you without looking in that direction? it gives the game a disconnecting rts feel that is not welcome for an rpg and especially an elder scrolls game, I would still play it and enjoy it but it would feel less like elder scrolls and more like just another wow clone. (it may be but making it feel like one is a mistake)
    You have my sympathy for the sick feeling but NOTHING comes before my precious immersion in an elder scrolls game.

  17. #1237
    seeing you guys argue over pvp. my god.. seriously.. no one cares to be ganked which is what 90% of world pvp is about. if you want real honest to goodness pvp in the world. then use the rift/guildwars 2 system for dynamic events that involve the cities and faction leaders. wow could do this in a heartbeat. .but they wont. imagine attacks on the capitols of the wow that happen randomly and your rewarded loot/honor based on your contribution. all world pvp needs is rewards and a reason to fight and it will be back with a vengence. with cross realm zones you even solve the unbalancing factor of horde/alliance on some servers by adding more people to the zone.

    right now you kill a faction leader you get nothing but bread.. maybe a world drop green.. and you wonder why people dont perticipate? reward players for defending the cities and reward them for a succesful attack.. blizzard could fix world pvp in one patch.. but they wont they want you in arenas and rated battlegrounds.

  18. #1238
    Warchief Northy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,054
    World PvP is fun, but not having structured (perhaps even ranked!?) PvP means I likely won't be picking up the highly anticipated title.

  19. #1239
    Quote Originally Posted by rol3x View Post
    I find the wow/mmo style of control to be off putting and immersion breaking, if you are the character how exactly are you to see behind you without looking in that direction? it gives the game a disconnecting rts feel that is not welcome for an rpg and especially an elder scrolls game, I would still play it and enjoy it but it would feel less like elder scrolls and more like just another wow clone. (it may be but making it feel like one is a mistake)
    You have my sympathy for the sick feeling but NOTHING comes before my precious immersion in an elder scrolls game.
    Quote Originally Posted by McTurbo View Post
    seeing you guys argue over pvp. my god.. seriously.. no one cares to be ganked which is what 90% of world pvp is about. if you want real honest to goodness pvp in the world. then use the rift/guildwars 2 system for dynamic events that involve the cities and faction leaders. wow could do this in a heartbeat. .but they wont. imagine attacks on the capitols of the wow that happen randomly and your rewarded loot/honor based on your contribution. all world pvp needs is rewards and a reason to fight and it will be back with a vengence. with cross realm zones you even solve the unbalancing factor of horde/alliance on some servers by adding more people to the zone.

    right now you kill a faction leader you get nothing but bread.. maybe a world drop green.. and you wonder why people dont perticipate? reward players for defending the cities and reward them for a succesful attack.. blizzard could fix world pvp in one patch.. but they wont they want you in arenas and rated battlegrounds.
    That is exactly what I am trying to say. You have a bunch of people that want everything in other MMOs in TES; I mean TES is a different kind of game. Quit expecting everything that other MMOs have in this game.

    WPVP in WoW is probably the worst example of what PVP is like and that is what everyone has come to expect. No one even bothers these days when the cities are attacked. Everyone is busy trolling Trade chat or doing some other crap.

    I mean you use to have big guilds when mass summon existed and all they would do is grief the role players in hte blue recluse. I mean that isn't what WPVP is about. There is no competitiveness involved. I think what TES have in mind is perfect. The thing is there is such a thin line between WPVP and griefing that it isn't remotely fun.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 04:15 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    World PvP is fun, but not having structured (perhaps even ranked!?) PvP means I likely won't be picking up the highly anticipated title.
    This what you have come to expect from PVP in WoW. You get the elite crowd that thinks everything is fair game. Sure it probably is but they lack any sense of understanding or common sense when it comes to the game. 4 v 1 while you are questing isn't PVPing. Its griefing when you continue to grave yard camp the person.

    That is why I say, WoW has ruined the MMO community and done more harm than good. You have a bunch of elitists that all they care about is some stupid title that they achieve by win trading.

  20. #1240
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar:鉄花まき
    Posts
    7,173
    Wasn't mentioned properly, but keep off the Game vs Game and game bashing

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •