So if I say I'm an 18 year old teenage girl who likes naked slumber parties...

...yes.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    So if I say I'm an 18 year old teenage girl who likes naked slumber parties...

...yes.
    You log on and find your character in a kitchen with Chris Hannity.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I WAS NEVER GONNA DO IT, IT WAS JUST FOR JOKES, I SWEAR. THESE CONDOMS ARE FOR MY DOG.

Yeeep.

But 18 is totally legal, alright.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    It acts like it's one giant server...
    But it's not.

Creepy, I was going to post the exact same pic

I WAS NEVER GONNA DO IT, IT WAS JUST FOR JOKES, I SWEAR. THESE CONDOMS ARE FOR MY DOG.

Yeeep.

But 18 is totally legal, alright.
    Age of consent is 14 here if I'm not wrong.
    Wouldn't be a problem here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Creepy, I was going to post the exact same pic

Age of consent is 14 here if I'm not wrong.
    Wouldn't be a problem here.
    where do you live Japan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    where do you live Japan?
    I was thinking russia or alabama.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Pretty sure she's from Germany.

*Mental note to visit Germany soon.* Okay this is getting bad, I'm sorry. My excuse is that I'm still pretty young so it's not that weird.

And let's stay on the topic of ESO, because things can go bad real quick with this line of discussion.

10+ Year Old Account

*Mental note to visit Germany soon.* Okay this is getting bad, I'm sorry. My excuse is that I'm still pretty young so it's not that weird.
    Well if you follow the half-your-age-plus-seven rule you would have to be 14 also for it to not be strange. sorry edge

Also the server cluster isn't that uncommon these days, quite a few MMO's use a similar system. As long as you aren't forced into a shard or can change your default shard it seems like a pretty good system to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    So how the megaserver works is that yes it is just one giant server that everyone is on. But in the megaserver there are things called "Channels" which are basically just shards. So at the beginning of the game there will be a questionnaire that you will answer that will put you with like minded people. Now if you have people on your friends list, are a part of a guild, or group up with the same people the server learns and tries to put you all in the same Channel.

Each Channel has a name associated with it (eg. Nirnroot or Dragonborn (yeah yeah using stupid names)). Now say that I'm on the Nirnroot Channel, but my friend is on the Dragonborn Channel I'm allowed to switch over to that Channel with no hassle.

These Channels though don't affect Cyrodiil though. They have their own "Campaigns." Which you are saved to the first one that you joined. If your friend is in another Campaign you are allowed to visit his Campaign for a day for free if you want too. But if you want to switch to his particular Campaign you have to spend Alliance Points to be saved to a new one.

That's pretty much the basics of the Megaserver and how it works as we know of.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    And let's stay on the topic of ESO, because things can go bad real quick with this line of discussion.
    yes sir.

You should, nice things to see over here... besides teenage girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    where do you live Japan?
    Germany

ANYWAY - ON TOPIC

@Nirawen - so do you know any other games that use this system?
    And last question - Have they mentioned anything new about subscription fees?

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 03:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zanag View Post
    snip
    oh wow, that's a nice post, thanks Zanag, that actually cleared some of the confusion I had on my mind.
    Let's hope it works as good as it seems !

10+ Year Old Account
    We still haven't heard anything about the payment method as of yet. People keep asking them on Twitter and they keep responding with, "We will release when we get closer to release of the game." So I wouldn't expect to hear anything for the next few months on that.

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 03:42 AM ----------

And if you have any more questions on the game this http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/ is a great link for many questions about the game. TF does a great job keeping it up-to-date and their whole forum is nice with all new released information.

Server structure sounds pretty much like Guild Wars districts. It was a nice system, I wish the sequel had used that system.

10+ Year Old Account
    And last question - Have they mentioned anything new about subscription fees?
    oh wow, that's a nice post, thanks Zanag, that actually cleared some of the confusion I had on my mind.
    Let's hope it works as good as it seems !
    Tera itself has a channel system when zone population goes too high.
    EQ2 has a channel system when population goes too high.
    A game I play, Maplestory has a channel system.

It's not that uncommon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Oh lordy.

They should just do what firefall does.
    It looks like one server, but it has many many many shards. You go to your shard when you log on and can join any of your friends shards by joining their group and hitting "join leader"
    That is pretty much exactly how it works. Its essentially multiple shards, but it hides it all so it looks like its one.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should, nice things to see over here... besides teenage girls.
    Just don't mention the war (oh that cheeky Henning Wehn).

As mentioned, TERA, GW2, Aion, RaiderZ, Dragon Nest, Neverwinter and many more all use a channel system but within seperate servers. I remember some from about 10 years ago that used essentially the same system as ESO but they had such a small playerbase that you could run everything from one server, the only limitation was the clients ability to render x amount of players so they used channels.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Tera itself has a channel system when zone population goes too high.
    EQ2 has a channel system when population goes too high.
    A game I play, Maplestory has a channel system.

It's not that uncommon.
    I think you misunderstand the word "channel" which is unfortunately re-used for too many things. The type of Channel being discussed are cross-server server channels. Oddly enough, WoW has them and they are called Cross-Realm Zones and are implemented using their phasing technology.

Tera I know for sure has or had no such thing when I last played. Their channels are strictly server-specific open zone instances which are dynamically created, otherwise known as zone sharding.

Other games use server sharding, i.e. sharding the whole server, but here it has no relationship between servers.

As far as I know, EQ2 only has cross-server communications using chat (chat channels) and mail. I do not think it even has a cross-server dungeon system like post-Dec 2009 WoW.

Also, I believe Maple Story has no interaction between worlds at all and only supports zone sharding, according to its Wikipedia page.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    I think you misunderstand the word "channel" which is unfortunately re-used for too many things. The type of Channel being discussed are cross-server server channels. Oddly enough, WoW has them and they are called Cross-Realm Zones and are implemented using their phasing technology.

Tera I know for sure has or had no such thing when I last played. Their channels are strictly server-specific open zone instances which are dynamically created, otherwise known as zone sharding.

Other games use server sharding, i.e. sharding the whole server, but here it has no relationship between servers.

As far as I know, EQ2 only has cross-server communications using chat (chat channels) and mail. I do not think it even has a cross-server dungeon system like post-Dec 2009 WoW.

Also, I believe Maple Story has no interaction between worlds at all and only supports zone sharding, according to its Wikipedia page.
    I got the impression Remilia knew that but was giving a simple example of the channel system, the end function is the same but just on a much larger scale and constant state. I could be wrong though :3.

Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    I think you misunderstand the word "channel" which is unfortunately re-used for too many things.
    It's similar tech, just different scaling. You can have a single world with channels, or you can have individual shards with channels built into each shard to prevent overpopulation within a zone, it all depends on how how the back-end is set up. Champions Online uses it with a single server, as do a number of other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Just don't mention the war (oh that cheeky Henning Wehn).

As mentioned, TERA, GW2, Aion, RaiderZ, Dragon Nest, Neverwinter and many more all use a channel system but within seperate servers. I remember some from about 10 years ago that used essentially the same system as ESO but they had such a small playerbase that you could run everything from one server, the only limitation was the clients ability to render x amount of players so they used channels.
    I HATE channel system that sucks!
    It will suck if this will be in ESLO too :/
    BTW is it true that ESO launches with no raiding content?