There's a lot of complaining going on the official forums. Also, confirmed that consoles will have different megaserver/megaservers from PC.
    Here's a quote from one of the threads on official forums.
    This has turned me from a guaranteed sale to a very unlikely purchaser. I'm upset because I thought that the MMO was Zenimax's nod to the pc market while the single player games were clearly for consoles. Now, as a PC player, I'll have to deal with the following problems:

split player base
    every design decision weighed by how it will perform on a console
    lousy graphics
    slow patch/update cycle
    bad UI (designed for controller)

Look, I know the new consoles are pretty decent systems by today's standards, but they'll be outpaced by the average PC within a year. How long do you want the MMO to last? Hopefully you have a goal like 10 years. Well, thanks to catering to consoles, you can forget about graphic updates down the line. I could go on and on, but the PC people know what I'm talking about. This is a bit of a slap in the face, and to top it off, we get to wait another 6 months while they finish the ports to the consoles, and the UI/Interface redesign that will make me hate my keyboard and mouse.

Cheers.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I do like the newest gameplay trailer, i'm a bit worried about the big battleground, it will be just frickin zerg as in every other game's big battleground. As for consol ports, im neutral to it yet.

We need to see, how much do they sacrafice for simplicity.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sueisfine View Post
    Just read the news... I honestly don't know if I'm more disappointed about the console stuff or the spring 2014 stuff...

I just can't visualize a full-fledged MMORPG working on consoles... An action-RPG with multiplayer support, sure. But ESO was announced as an MMO, although last week I think there was a dev interview where they changed their position a bit about this and said they were going for a multiplayer-TES first...

So unfortunately I can now see the game being dumbed down from an MMORPG standpoint in order to accommodate consoles

About it being delayed, if W* ends up being delayed for 2014 as well... it's gonna be a very boring rest of 2013 game-wise for me

le sigh.
    Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV: Realm Reborn would like to have a word with you.

They aren't dumbed down and in the case of A Realm Reborn, the controller scheme was customized to match console play with a controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J7kO8BTZDU

I think Zenimax could pull it off if done correctly, especially considering that ESO isn't a "hotbar" MMO.
    Last edited by Materia; 2013-06-11 at 11:04 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Materia View Post
    Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV: Realm Reborn would like to have a word with you.

They aren't dumbed down and in the case of A Realm Reborn, the controller scheme was customized to match console play with a controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J7kO8BTZDU

I think Zenimax could pull it off if done correctly, especially considering that ESO isn't a "hotbar" MMO.
    It's not only the interface/controller issue mate, there are several other aspects. The post Nerevar quoted says it pretty well. Absolutely nothing at all against console players, mind you. I just think a "real" MMORPG is a totally different beast. Guess ESO won't be that MMOish after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not only the interface/controller issue mate, there are several other aspects. The post Nerevar quoted says it pretty well. Absolutely nothing at all against console players, mind you. I just think a "real" MMORPG is a totally different beast. Guess ESO won't be that MMOish after all.
    Yeah, I don't keep up to date with ESO, but if that is true, I can understand the concern.

There were a lot of ES console players who were very disappointed that ESO wasn't coming out on consoles. These people were unwilling to buy computers to run ESO on but they most likely will go out and buy the new consoles. It's a smart marketing move by Bethesda and ZeniMax Online to make ESO for these two platforms.

If ESO can hit the sales figures of Skyrim (across all platforms), they will be doing quite well.

As a side note, can you even have a subscription model with consoles? I don't know how that would work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
    There were a lot of ES console players who were very disappointed that ESO wasn't coming out on consoles. These people were unwilling to buy computers to run ESO on but they most likely will go out and buy the new consoles. It's a smart marketing move by Bethesda and ZeniMax Online to make ESO for these two platforms.

If ESO can hit the sales figures of Skyrim (across all platforms), they will be doing quite well.

As a side note, can you even have a subscription model with consoles? I don't know how that would work.
    In my humble opinion, I think this announcement puts a 95% chance on the game being B2P.

Deleted
    I used to hate wildstar and love teso

The tables are turning

Will still get both!

Deleted
    Shooter style MMO's are pretty easy to make it work on a controller as you don't need to tab target or anything. TERA works pretty well on a console aiming wise, the only problem is the amount of abilities - seeing as ESO doesn't have many, it will work even better.

Deleted
    ESO on consles is news of the day for me. I probably wouldn't be able to play it on my old pc, so hell yeah for PS4 version.

A well. Pushing the game back for console release. RiP ESO.
    Wildstar and ff14 will take all the players. Me and my friends included

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    FFXIV is also avialable on console, just saying...

In my humble opinion, I think this announcement puts a 95% chance on the game being B2P.
    Yep.

This is an Elder scrolls game designed for the Elder scrolls fan base (which is already huge).
    Rather than issuing a huge fuck you to a large portion of the ESO fan base, they are trying to replicate the conditions in which Skyrim found success by launching on console and PC and almost assuredly as B2P.
    This will upset the MMO fans who happen to prefer the ESO universe over warcraft, starwars, rift, ect. Since the MMO market is small, the fraction who would be really interested is even smaller. Not worth pissing off the main fanbase.

Let's be honest, if they had catered to the MMO fans they would have had people rush to the end game, beat whatever raid is there, and then leave. But not before shitting on the game for "poor optimization", "no end game", and "lack of class balance"... Because it's totally reasonable to expect those things 1 month into the launch of an MMO, right? By catering to ESOs real fans they will have much more success.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-06-11 at 12:29 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxlor View Post
    Depends on the game. I think Warhammer Online only ever had like 1 content patch about 6 months after it came out, with nothing added since. Not sure if it still has a sub, but i'm fairly sure it does. Same goes for Star Wars Online, that's not seen any extra content for months and then it's first big new patch needs to be paid for.

Paying to access a game, that you've already brought just dosn't wash with people any more. There's loads of FTP alternatives. Guild Wars 2 is doing fine with it's B2P model, hell that game's already had 3 content patches worth of stuff added to it and it's not charged for ANY of it!

None of us really know where our subscription money goes that is paid into WoW. None of us. Sure there's those investor meetings with break downs of the costs of what gets spent where (such as server fees appearing under "other" on the finance sheet, totalling to less than $10k per year), but that dosn't say x dollars is spent on y raid, z pvp map and q quest chain.

Blizzard's gotten away with it for 8 years. Can they keep getting away with it? The recent sub losses say no. ESO releasing with a sub and only a sub model would be stupid to say the least.

Anyways, this keeps cropping back up, but it's too tempting not to chip in >_< More on topic, have they said anything about the dwemer (dwarves) and if they're going to make an appearance in the game? Do we get to visit any other realms too, like Oblivion or that really cool "knowledge" realm from Dragonborn?
    Hm. SWTOR is largely F2P, there are optional subs. This is, imo the reason why the "Expansion" was basically worse than most WoW content patches.

Decent sub model MMOs "should" give you regular large chunks of content with MASSIVE paid for expansions. When you go F2P with an MMO, the evidence suggests that the content suffers (GW2 end game, SWTOR etc.). If a sub model MMO is failing to provide decent content updates, then they usually lose so many subs that they then have to go F2P, and then don't generate decent content anyway.

But generally, if a game has been sub model for years, it's usually because it's worth the money. The ones that aren't worth the money generally go F2P very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
    Hm. SWTOR is largely F2P, there are optional subs. This is, imo the reason why the "Expansion" was basically worse than most WoW content patches.
    Since makeb was developed before it went F2P that can't be the reason.
    edit: not to mention, the idea that f2p caused makeb to be bad is post hoc.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-06-11 at 12:49 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a good decision that should've been made at the very start of the project, simply because Skrim sold best for consoles. Having taunted and teased the PC playerbase saying it will be a full fledged mmorpg was not cool. Now they get the middle finger as quite obviously Zenimax realized pc players are not particularly happy with what is happening. So, to sum it up, lets loose the 14% of Skyrim PC sales in favour of where the money is. Logical yet so cheap.

It only shows, the game had absolutely no direction from the start. No vision, no clear set path it was to follow.

Glad that it's beeing pushed back, at the least they'll have time to sort some screw ups out. If WS manages to pull of their 2013 release, it will now, officially have no competition.

At least someone is celebrating lol

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    And for every pc mmo player they lose, they gain 9 console players.

Lmfao. Final nail in the coffin for this project that has been failing since the day it was revealed.

In the unending discussion of "killing" MMOs, is it possible for one to be dead before it even launches? Yep, guess so.

I see it now... sub fee on PC but B2P for consolenabs!!11

Bonus lol @ split playerbase

What a hilarious mess this game will be. TOR and a number of other MMOs have been bad and I never lacked for sharing my thoughts as such... but this will be the first one I'll actually enjoy watching crash and burn, laughing maniacally the whole time.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-06-11 at 01:14 PM.

What's the big deal here? It's coming out on consoles IN ADDITION to PC and Mac. Why are more platforms a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kashii View Post
    What's the big deal here? It's coming out on consoles IN ADDITION to PC and Mac. Why are more platforms a bad thing?
    Because if it's not PC only, it can't be an MMO (apparently)