Quote Originally Posted by hypermode View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but I am really enthousiastic about this game, having only played wow as MMORPG like ever (except a 2-month stint in SWTOR).
    I was conveying my enthousiasm about this game to a friend of mine who had also played GW2 and he said that everything I said (exploration, extensive crafting system, huge world pvp with destructable stuff & open world dungeons) was basically present in GW2 and he said that the game died due to a lack of lategame.

How can I convince my friend that this game is going to be different/better and that he should give it a try with me?
    I tried to convince my brother to try other games (and some other friends) and some just cannot be convinced - or, they need to be shown hands-on.

If you want to play it, play it. Your friend may come in later after you have something real to show him/her. If he is a real life friend, invite them over and let them toy around with it at your house sometime.

Personally for me after SWTOR, I will no longer buy a brand new MMO at release. I'll wait a few months and monitor the real media that is generated from it live. Beta is beta and I've seen things turn much differently 3 to 6 months after the game goes live and the devs have made back some of their money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aoewy View Post
    The phasing of the world changes depending on your decisions is well made in this game... your friend will see the choices they make, you'll see the choices you make. And you'll see your friend. The WoW phasing debacle you talk about, was because it would put your caracter in the phasing.. so you wont see others. But it doesnt work like that in this game.
    So in other words, the decisions you make are completely superfluous to the game if they can appear to both players at the same time, in the same group, in the same area.

See my "camp" case scenario earlier - this is the main reason why MMORPGs tend to steer clear of letting players have drastic decisions in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anybody planning to get this on PS4?

Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post

So in other words, the decisions you make are completely superfluous to the game if they can appear to both players at the same time, in the same group, in the same area.

See my "camp" case scenario earlier - this is the main reason why MMORPGs tend to steer clear of letting players have drastic decisions in the game.
    Not really. I already said it so I wont go again on that, but it doesnt matter what others do - those choices give you the feeling that you have to take serious decisons. Thats all about personnal experience, so I dont care if people around me dont experience the game the same way I'm. I see the world the way I made my choice, they see their world, and we can see each others. Its perfect.

This isnt a sandbox game where you can destroy stuff and everybody will suffer from it. If thats what someone is looking for in ESO, he'll be disapointed. But ESO is a themepark that gives the player quests with choices to make that are important for his personal experience in the game.

ESO should have been a co-op type game like Borderlands 2 where what you and your friends did would have persistence - that is not what this ESO is going to be. I think many people will find it strange that their next installment in the game series has no game world persistence.
    Skryim with friends would have been terribly boring, or at least fun for a little while, there is no incentive to keep going on. I don't know why people keep asking for it. Skyrim is not Borderlands or Diablo there is no endless loot grinds. And I don't think the next Fallout or TES game will have co-op.

ESO feels like a mix of MMO and TES. It isn't completely a single player TES game. It isn't completely an MMO. It feels like a fusion between the two. When Destiny and Star Citizen do exactly that in their games, they will get praised for it. When ESO does it they will get the hate bandwagon.

The blanket statement that Skyrim is better than ESO is false. There are many things ESO does significantly better than Skyrim, like progression and story. There are several things Skyrim does better than ESO like exploration and production value.

I was more immersed in the ESO world than the Skyrim world. Expect for those pesky people running around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    Skryim with friends would have been terribly boring, or at least fun for a little while, there is no incentive to keep going on. I don't know why people keep asking for it. Skyrim is not Borderlands or Diablo there is no endless loot grinds. And I don't think the next Fallout or TES game will have co-op.
    Wait.. what?

Am I mistaken or is there supposedly a multitude of folks that still claim to love their Skyrim games?

I think it it's actually going to be the opposite - there's a host of people that is going to see this game in the store and go, "wow, more Skyrim" - then get home and be like - "what is this?"

ESO feels like a mix of MMO and TES. It isn't completely a single player TES game. It isn't completely an MMO. It feels like a fusion between the two. When Destiny and Star Citizen do exactly that in their games, they will get praised for it. When ESO does it they will get the hate bandwagon.

The blanket statement that Skyrim is better than ESO is false. There are many things ESO does significantly better than Skyrim, like progression and story. There are several things Skyrim does better than ESO like exploration and production value.

I was more immersed in the ESO world than the Skyrim world. Expect for those pesky people running around.
    ESO is completely an MMORPG. Sure, it has TES elements in it but it's completely MMO - just like SWTOR was completely MMO too.

Wait.. what?

Am I mistaken or is there supposedly a multitude of folks that still claim to love their Skyrim games?

I think it it's actually going to be the opposite - there's a host of people that is going to see this game in the store and go, "wow, more Skyrim" - then get home and be like - "what is this?"
    Not saying ESO is like Skyrim, the devs specifically exactly said "If you want to play Skyrim, go play Skyrim". What I said was it does have a lot of TES single player elements, and a lot of MMO elements. It is a fusion of the two genres.

ESO is completely an MMORPG. Sure, it has TES elements in it but it's completely MMO - just like SWTOR was completely MMO too.
    Doesn't feel that way too me, a lot of my friends have said it feels like playing a Dragon Age style RPG game with TES skin with people walking around. It is completely an MMO and it feels completely like a multi-player RPG. This isn't a black/white issue there are shades of grey. Just because it is an MMO it doesn't mean it can't feel very RPG.

Not saying ESO is like Skyrim, the devs specifically exactly said "If you want to play Skyrim, go play Skyrim". What I said was it does have a lot of TES single player elements, and a lot of MMO elements. It is a fusion of the two genres.
    I think there are quite a few people that were looking for "Skyrim with friends" though.

Doesn't feel that way too me, a lot of my friends have said it feels like playing a Dragon Age style RPG game with TES skin with people walking around. It is completely an MMO and it feels completely like a multi-player RPG. This isn't a black/white issue there are shades of grey. Just because it is an MMO it doesn't mean it can't feel very RPG.
    We both know what inevitably happens to MMORPGs at max level. I can't see very many TES elements remaining at that point.

I think there are quite a few people that were looking for "Skyrim with friends" though.
    Yeah they should lobby for Bethesda Game Studios to make one. ZoS was created to make an MMO. And Zenimax has other studios like Warcry that are making other online games, could be Fallout Online, who knows.

We both know what inevitably happens to MMORPGs at max level. I can't see very many TES elements remaining at that point.
    Yeah, but the way their implemented progression after hitting 50, gives you incentive to keep questing in other faction zones. You can keep questing for a long time if you wanted to. It could take a casual player like me months to finish all the questing in the game if I played it like that. And their end game content will be called adventure zones, and I am certain solo players will have things to do there.

If you removed all players from ESO and let players go anywhere, it would be pretty close to a single player TES game. Not to the same quality but still there.

Yeah they should lobby for Bethesda Game Studios to make one. ZoS was created to make an MMO. And Zenimax has other studios like Warcry that are making other online games, could be Fallout Online, who knows.
    My take is the majority of those that buy the game will not know this right off - sort of how some players that bought SWTOR were mildly surprised.

Yeah, but the way their implemented progression after hitting 50, gives you incentive to keep questing in other faction zones. You can keep questing for a long time if you wanted to. It could take a casual player like me months to finish all the questing in the game if I played it like that. And their end game content will be called adventure zones, and I am certain solo players will have things to do there.

If you removed all players from ESO and let players go anywhere, it would be pretty close to a single player TES game. Not to the same quality but still there.
    There is no game switch that someone can flip that turns the MMO part off - so making the statement that you just did is pointless. They can't play ESO that way.

Tell me, when you start doing another faction's quests at max level - does it lock you into that faction? Are you then restricted from your existing friends in your original faction?
    Last edited by Raeln; 2014-03-05 at 09:01 PM.

Regarding the Gutsripper nerf: yes he was annoying, and so were the waves of daedra you had to fight prior to him, but I went back like 3 or 4 times until I was able to close the portals, and killed Gutsripper on the second try. If people don't want to struggle with it they can just level up a few times and come back to it later, but I feel the difficulty should remain intact.

The problem with that quest is that they gave it to you TOO SOON! I was level 6 and could not even use the level 8 ring it rewarded. I wonder how many people complaining about Gutsripper were also too low level for him. There's too much quest banding (currently; pretty sure that's being fixed). I know we're supposed to go out and explore to find hidden quests, but I think the game should grant you enough XP going from quest hub to quest hub.

My take is the majority of those that buy the game will not know this right off - sort of how some players that bought SWTOR were mildly surprised.
    Their fault for not being informed.

There is no game switch that someone can flip that turns the MMO part off - so making the statement that you just did is pointless. They can't play ESO that way.
    That wasn't my point. My point is you can play it like a TES game that has some restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    I imagine they can 'tank' with whatever. Sadly tough, tanking in the sense of what we expect from other games will likely require sword and shield for more block bonuses and actual taunts.
    Blocking, yes. Taunting, no. You get an ability from the Undaunted skill line that lets you taunt, regardless of weapon. Also you dont necessarily have to block if you can keeps mobs at range and stunned/snared/rooted, which is much more feasible in this game than something like WoW.

Their fault for not being informed.
    Ultimately, yeah.

That wasn't my point. My point is you can play it like a TES game that has some restrictions.
    To an extent - yeah. As long as someone disregards the 50 warm bodies sprinting to and fro in your field of vision, laying waste to the same stuff that you are.

Would be cool if Fallout 4 had an optional co-op mode. For the people still clinging to the "Skyrim with friends" idea: tweet at BGS to add co-op to Fallout 4. That's as close as you're gonna get since I don't think ES6 is coming out until maybe 6 years from now. Hell, it might never come out, if ESO is successful enough.

To an extent - yeah. As long as someone disregards the 50 warm bodies sprinting to and fro in your field of vision, laying waste to the same stuff that you are.
    sounds like my skyrim game actually. some of those mods are awesome

Seems more natural/normal than you being the center of the world right? In the real world, if there is something cool going on, many will go there too. See the gold rush.

Seems more natural/normal than you being the center of the world right? In the real world, if there is something cool going on, many will go there too. See the gold rush.
    It depends on the story and scenario. A military scene? sure.

A covert op? not so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    The issue is when it's part of a "only you can save us!" story line.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Great, you ruined it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Dont think its the case for ESO, tho. It was for skyrim, as you were "The" Dragonborn, but in ESO, you are part of an alliance. You are a soldier, and yes you have to "save the world", but its a quest for many soldiers, not just you. You arent THE Hero, you are A Hero playing your role in the destiny of Tamriel.