Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I think the worst thing of our time is the advent of youtube reviews where you have to listen to tedious 21 minute commentaries instead of transcripts that you can skim over and pick out the useful info. Man, I feel like an old man.
    I can agree on that, but haven't found any good website with an written summary (which I myself also prefer tbh...) :P

The only thing I don't like about Podcasts is you can't jump to another point in the cast as easily as you can with a youtube video. But I don't mind listening to the casts while I do other stuff. It's better than having no information at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    In the way it looks? Yeah it looks like an elder scrolls game. From what I've read about the mechanics of the game it certainly doesn't seem like one though.
    lol, you haven't read a damn thing about how the mechanics of the game "don't seem like one". why do you folks come on here with your bullshit and try to pass it off as your opinon. an opinion isn't bullshit. it can't be. when facts contradict your opinion, you aren't allowed to have that opinion anymore. opinions are based on facts or experience

you got shit to support your "opinion"

the reason why is that the folks who actually got to test the pre-alpha (invite only) said it looked and felt like TES in EVERY way. only difference is the hot bar. 75% of the keymappings are the same right now lol

it DEFINITELY feels skyrim.......well, according to every single person who got in on that alpha

there was literally nothing negative that came out of those tests. the worst thing anyone has said (weren't alpha testers) was that argonians look weird and zenimax's response was that they're just rough placeholders and that they'll look like argonians have

let me let you in on a secret. saying stupid shit makes you look like a stupid person online or in person. different opinion that is rooted in fact is fine, reasonable people won't say "that stupid fucker doesn't like yellow"

tell them how up is really down, contrary to all facts, and yeah, they'll talk about how stupid you are. if you can't come in here armed with facts, just read and move on.
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2012-12-23 at 02:27 AM.

For the love of god please focus abit on the pvp side and make that good to, to many pve focused mmo's out there, need some pvp love to.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    For the love of god please focus abit on the pvp side and make that good to, to many pve focused mmo's out there, need some pvp love to.
    Well, they've got Matt Firor (of DAOC fame) working on the game. And the entire province of Cyrodiil will be focused on RvR PvP. I believe there's also a plan to have arenas but I haven't heard a lot on that.

Still it's very unlikely MMO with strong pve element will do wonders in pvp. When was the last time that happened ...

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Still it's very unlikely MMO with strong pve element will do wonders in pvp. When was the last time that happened ...
    Doesn't mean it's impossible :P *keeping my hopes up*

Yes please. Us PvPers just want ONE MMO! ONE! that actually gives a shit about PvP. Guild Wars 2 has failed with Anet's pathetic attempt at balance. so I'm out of options here.

Time for WAR 2.0 This time give us a finished version please

Let's just all hope this isn't rushed the hell out. EVERY SINGLE MMO THAT HAS BEEN RUSHED ENDED UP BEING TERRIBLE. SWTOR, WAR, the list can go on and on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watching the linked "21 reasons to love"-video now. The guy just sold me by confirming Morrowind's daedric ruins. I MISS THEM!
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

No, no, no, no, no, no

Please post constructively.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-12-23 at 08:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ksiyas View Post
    No, no, no, no, no, no
    no, no, no, what? :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    lol, you haven't read a damn thing about how the mechanics of the game "don't seem like one". why do you folks come on here with your bullshit and try to pass it off as your opinon. an opinion isn't bullshit. it can't be. when facts contradict your opinion, you aren't allowed to have that opinion anymore. opinions are based on facts or experience

you got shit to support your "opinion"

the reason why is that the folks who actually got to test the pre-alpha (invite only) said it looked and felt like TES in EVERY way. only difference is the hot bar. 75% of the keymappings are the same right now lol

it DEFINITELY feels skyrim.......well, according to every single person who got in on that alpha

there was literally nothing negative that came out of those tests. the worst thing anyone has said (weren't alpha testers) was that argonians look weird and zenimax's response was that they're just rough placeholders and that they'll look like argonians have

let me let you in on a secret. saying stupid shit makes you look like a stupid person online or in person. different opinion that is rooted in fact is fine, reasonable people won't say "that stupid fucker doesn't like yellow"

tell them how up is really down, contrary to all facts, and yeah, they'll talk about how stupid you are. if you can't come in here armed with facts, just read and move on.
    Overreact much?

Look at the combat videos. Listen to them talk about the hotbar. Then, use your brain. The combat is clearly auto combat with a hotbar and the ability to throw up a shield and sprint. Great. It's still auto combat. The combat videos show the player and the mobs he fights attacking at set intervals with special moves thrown in every now and then. It's just MMO combat with the ability to put your shield up whenever. You guys are hoping this will be Elder scrolls plus MMO. It won't. It'll be a MMO with a few small baby steps toward innovation and an Elder Scrolls facelift.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortera View Post
    Overreact much?

Look at the combat videos. Listen to them talk about the hotbar. Then, use your brain. The combat is clearly auto combat with a hotbar and the ability to throw up a shield and sprint. Great. It's still auto combat. The combat videos show the player and the mobs he fights attacking at set intervals with special moves thrown in every now and then. It's just MMO combat with the ability to put your shield up whenever. You guys are hoping this will be Elder scrolls plus MMO. It won't. It'll be a MMO with a few small baby steps toward innovation and an Elder Scrolls facelift.
    I don't understand this "hotbar" issue.

So... if you are a mage, how are you going to cast more than 2 spells while in combat without a hotbar?

Keep in mind you can't pause the game so you can scroll through your spells menu.

So.. you want only 2 spells to cast the whole time you are in combat? You know, one for each hand (left click and right click mouse respectively).

Or do you just want to memorize your favorite spells you bind to your number keys? How is that different from a hotbar?

Overreact much?

Anything's better than the current shit on the market. And if it isn't, then it isn't.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account

Skip to about 2:30 for talks about combat.
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2012-12-24 at 02:20 PM.

The class system and combat sounds promising ... but they do stick with the area separation, so that's a bummer.

Overreact much?

who is "them"?

100% of the people who have seen/played the alpha have NOT written an article or made a vid

they talked to 3 people who DID make a video
    one of those videos is on this page

we know exactly what the combat system is like. skyrim's system + soft/hard locking + hotbar
    why locking? well you gimp ranged in an mmo without it. you can't balance ranged and melee classes/specs/whatever without some type of locked targeting. it is 100% necessary for any type of long term success. if you have a solution they'd love to hear it, but i KNOW you don't. every solution so far involves locked targeting or a HUGE skill gap between ranged and melee

the hotbar is necessary because who the fuck is gonna stop and let you swap spells via the default TES system? if you're competent right now and have skyrim on the PC, you're usking hotkey addons anyway. they do what the hotbar is going to do except it's not visibly on the screen. at this point they're not 100% sure they're gonna force it to be visible because you don't have to watch the bars for cooldowns like most other MMOs. personally i'd prefer it ON the screen so you can drag/drop spells/items/weps as you please but either way, the way i play skyrim (because it's the most efficient way to play it) is VERY similar to how TESO is at this moment. it may change, it may not

but a melee character in skyrim right now is gonna be VERY similar to TESO. the difference is ranged. without target locking ranged wouldn't be viable for ANYONE. ranged would get dominated by any half-decent melee in the game in a pvp setting.

there's a reason games don't do well mixing melee and ranged without targeting systems

---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 09:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    The class system and combat sounds promising ... but they do stick with the area separation, so that's a bummer.
    well area separation equates to an area you CAN explore that's about the size of skyrim/morrowind/oblivion combined

so while people keep focusing on what they can't do, they DO have more to explore than vanilla wow gives them, which is a ton

i personally like this because the ability to go anywhere means you're not at war. there is nothing that says war like wide open borders. the only way they could screw this up is with invisible walls and they very well could use those, which would suck, but games have used them forever. i guess we'll live

factions need to feel unfriendly to the other factions. people are tired of the bad guys and good guys working together for a common cause. it's cliche

---------- Post added 2012-12-24 at 09:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Let's just all hope this isn't rushed the hell out. EVERY SINGLE MMO THAT HAS BEEN RUSHED ENDED UP BEING TERRIBLE. SWTOR, WAR, the list can go on and on.
    it's been in development nearly 6 years now
    it's the least rushed MMO in history at this point.
    the word "polish" was thrown around in regards to the pre-alpha so that's a good sign. folks said it felt like a finished product then. if they do this right they'll profit for years. just hope they're smart enough to know that.

Some interesting stuff, but my biggest fear at the moment is the combat system.

Let's be honest here, the combat in Skyrim wasn't very good; and then adding soft/hard-lock to ranged attacks won't help the game separate itself from other MMO.
    I can think of a dozens way to balance a free-targeting game, but then it probably won't be as marketable to the casual crowd.

The addition of hotbars will make up some of the shortcomings of Skyrim's combat though.

Speculation is speculation, I reserve my final verdict until I've played the game.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance