Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Defend
    Destroy
    Deliver
    Discover
    Drop
    Basically what quests boil down into.
    It's not like there is much more, people seem to forget that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    It's not like there is much more, people seem to forget that.
    Hence why people complaining about quest makes me facepalm.

Deleted
    People playing too much of the same AND getting sick of it AND complain about it, are the problem. Not the quests.

I honestly don't mind questing in games, the problem can lie with the reward. besides XP, there should be a reward that has a motivational function.
    Blizzard quests can provide exp, rep, VP, HP, gold, vanity items, gear, weapon.
    Elder scrolls will deliver almost the same.

I still don't understand why the current average gamers hates quests?

Back when I started playing RPG games, I was happy to find a quest lol. just for the sake of having a short term objective...instead of farming mobs for x hours...

Hence why people complaining about quest makes me facepalm.
    Agreed, might as well bug the developers to create some new 4th/5th dimension, would most likely be easier even.

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    People playing too much of the same AND getting sick of it AND complain about it, are the problem. Not the quests.
    Back when I started playing RPG games, I was happy to find a quest lol. just for the sake of having a short term objective...instead of farming mobs for x hours...
    I've played Ragnarok Online for years, where the only "quests" were for jobchanging.
    Suppose some gamers just want to watch the world burn.

Also, wai no invite yet D:
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2013-04-10 at 09:35 PM.

questing is all about the presentation and context, at the base level they are all the same

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm playing a Redguard in Skyrim at the moment, as a ranger/stealth type of character. I'm starting to get interested in knowing more about the Redguards and their story and to see the land they live in. I also hope there'll be a fun ranged/stealthy class in the game

---------- Post added 2013-04-10 at 09:37 PM ----------

Defend
    Destroy
    Deliver
    Discover
    Drop

Basically what quests boil down into.
    I don't really worry about what the point of a quest is, as long as the context and exection interests me the way I have to do something doesn't matter. Though I do tend to prefer quests that don't involve killing. Killing gets old fast.

I love playing stealth classes. I like going places I shouldn't be, stealing stuff, escaping without being seen, that sort of thing, the unheard shadow.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2013-04-10 at 09:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!!! I swear if they don't make a reference to that I'll send a sternly written letter to them expressing my dissatisfaction. They said you'll be able to break crates and barrels within houses for loot. Hopefully you can get arrested and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I love playing stealth classes. I like going places I shouldn't be, stealing stuff, escaping without being seen, that sort of thing, the unheard shadow.
    I want to be a shadow mage in plate gear, healing! :O

Quote Originally Posted by Tuqui-tuqui View Post
    Because of you I thought it was a pet until it attacked the knight >_<
    haha

Does anyone know if you get invited to one beta, are you in for the rest?

I think the key to having successful questing is hiding the fact that you're doing quests. The player should only be vaguely aware that they're doing a fetch x, kill y, or talk to z quest. It should be something in the back of their head, not something that jumps out at you. You accomplish this through immersion.

To give a personal example, I recently started playing The Witcher for the first time. Yeah yeah I know, I'm fucking late as hell to that party. I'm in Chapter 2 right now and I just got done with this really long series of quests where I was working with a detective to uncover the secrets of an underground criminal organization. When you break them down, these quests were very simple. Kill this douche, talk to this one, go to this place at a certain time, get these drops, fetch this, etc. Thinking about it, at times, it was basically the equivalent of those quests in wow where an NPC tells you to talk to another NPC that's in the next room over. But I never felt like that. My goal wasn't get 3 quests drops from these mobs. My goal was to get this merchant to trust me by proving that I'm not part of Salamandra.

Clever design and good storytelling can help cover up the holes in even the most tedious of quests. This is, admittedly, very difficult in an mmo. In a single player game, you're playing for the experience. In an mmo, people may play for other reasons, so they may choose to ignore the story, skipping through dialogue options as fast as possible. In wow for example, I knew many people that had 2 or more characters at max level, yet they wouldn't be able to tell me the story of Storm Peaks. The reason for that is they rushed through quests, because they were only interested in max level content, be it pve or pvp. I think in general, people level alts for reasons other than story. That, and a number of other factors, leads to people just zerging their way through quests.

Quote Originally Posted by -Cynical- View Post
    Does anyone know if you get invited to one beta, are you in for the rest?
    Once admitted to a beta event for The Elder Scrolls Online, am I automatically eligible for all future beta events?

Filling out the beta application ensures you will be considered for each of The Elder Scrolls Online beta events, but it does not guarantee you will be chosen for all events, regardless of having been admitted previously.
    source: http://help.elderscrollsonline.com/a...Z0tqUzlwbmw%3D

I don't know if any MMO ever tried to implement something like this, or if it's even possible, but I've had this idea for a while, and thought I'd share (sorry if it sounds dumb, at least I thought it was interesting...)

I always wanted to see some sort of ''political play'' in MMORPGs.

For example, some way to become a ''mayor'' or an ''officer'', so that you can recruit people for a cause to battle to achieve X goal.
    Or, if you're a ''politician'' or some sort of ''warchief'' (sorry, I'm lacking words) you could implement plans to build X type of defense or to bring in Y type of vendors (or something else) to the city you ''work'' for, and other players could vote/pay for it if they like the idea.

I know this is very vague, but I hope at least one of you gets what I'm trying to say... sorry, I'm sleepy atm -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    I don't know if any MMO ever tried to implement something like this, or if it's even possible, but I've had this idea for a while, and thought I'd share (sorry if it sounds dumb, at least I thought it was interesting...)

For example, some way to become a ''mayor'' or an ''officer'', so that you can recruit people for a cause to battle to achieve X goal.
    Or, if you're a ''politician'' or some sort of ''warchief'' (sorry, I'm lacking words) you could implement plans to build X type of defense or to bring in Y type of vendors (or something else) to the city you ''work'' for, and other players could vote/pay for it if they like the idea.

I know this is very vague, but I hope at least one of you gets what I'm trying to say... sorry, I'm sleepy atm -.-
    Possible, yes.
    Issue is how the player base will respond.

Possible, yes.
    Issue is how the player base will respond.
    Well, what do you think of it? Shitty idea? even remotely interesting?

Well, what do you think of it? Shitty idea? even remotely interesting?
    Tera has some kind of political system in place, not sure if it has anything to do with defences/invasions tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post

I honestly don't mind questing in games, the problem can lie with the reward. besides XP, there should be a reward that has a motivational function.
    Blizzard quests can provide exp, rep, VP, HP, gold, vanity items, gear, weapon.
    Elder scrolls will deliver almost the same.
    [snip]
    The motivation should be "fun"... that's the point of a game.

Rewards can come in varied forms, but are not the only way to get fun.

They should consider that dungeons should offer something else that the player could use/sell/trade that's not just gear upgrades/rep/special rewards.

The idea for the player to come out and say "That was fun! Lets see what loot I got this time!" and pick through a bag of lesser treasures that they could do something with instead of having them say "...only got to run this dungeon 27 more times for that rep bar so I can get that horse... sigh... when I get that I'm NEVER going back in!"

Quote Originally Posted by Murphlord View Post
    STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!!! I swear if they don't make a reference to that I'll send a sternly written letter to them expressing my dissatisfaction. They said you'll be able to break crates and barrels within houses for loot. Hopefully you can get arrested and stuff.
    This.

Arrow to the knee (I know... =/)

Dovahbear (hell yes!)

Musical bear mod (better be playing the same song)

Vilja

References to Serana would also be very appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    There should be rocketing bears by giants. >.>

There should be rocketing bears by giants. >.>
    YES! A giant that can hurl you thousands of feet into the air.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account

One player will be able to be crowned emperor of Cyrodil. They haven't stated what you can do with the power you get from it, but I assume it will be epic.