Yea it's on the top of TESO's reddit.

Personally, I don't think it's enough to judge. I'm not going to say "it's only beta herp derp" because we heard that enough with TOR, but TOR's problems weren't in the starting zone, nor will TESO's problems be in the starting zone, assuming they have problems. Starting zone is starting zone.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Yea it's on the top of TESO's reddit.

Personally, I don't think it's enough to judge. I'm not going to say "it's only beta herp derp" because we heard that enough with TOR, but TOR's problems weren't in the starting zone, nor will TESO's problems be in the starting zone, assuming they have problems. Starting zone is starting zone.
    Yeah. Swtor, AoC, and Lotro all had FANTASTIC starting zones.

Also, how can we honestly judge the story of the starting zone when he skipped all the dialog?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Mudcrab is OP, please nerf.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Yeah. Swtor, AoC, and Lotro all had FANTASTIC starting zones.

Also, how can we honestly judge the story of the starting zone when he skipped all the dialog?
    The biggest problem TESO will be facing will be the transition from ESO games to an MMO, and the different mindsets people are going to have when they go into the game.

When you play a game like Skyrim, you're not really rushing to the end, because there's no fun endgame waiting for you there. You're enjoying the experience and there's no worry. But when you play an MMO, while you can play it in the same way you play a game like Skyrim, there's still that lingering voice (not to mention guild pressure to "hurry up and play with us!" and the ever constant challenge to get stronger than other people) that will rush you to level. People are less inclined to go in an MMO with the mindset that it's just a game, that you're supposed to enjoy it and just have fun and just fuck around. People have double standards when they play SPRPGs and MMORPGs.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    That is definitely a good point. Developer from SWTOR said, they originally tought, it will take 2-3 months to get to max level. When you play an MMO, you always play it differently than any single player game. You have different goals, different rewards.

I cant really use any other example than myself, if i leveled up a char in WoW for example, i hated the leveling, my goal was to get to max level as fast as possible, but when i played Skyrim or Oblivion/Morrowind, i always looked into every cave, house, every side quest etc. And to be honest, let say, someone knocks on my door and give me the finished product, i would have no idea how would i play it.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Deleted
    Where else was that vid linked? Just curious, because the comments are going down fast, it seems like it's gone semi-viral.

I'm guessing reddit.
    It's linked on pretty much every fansite/mmo forum right now :d

The biggest problem TESO will be facing will be the transition from ESO games to an MMO, and the different mindsets people are going to have when they go into the game.

When you play a game like Skyrim, you're not really rushing to the end, because there's no fun endgame waiting for you there. You're enjoying the experience and there's no worry. But when you play an MMO, while you can play it in the same way you play a game like Skyrim, there's still that lingering voice (not to mention guild pressure to "hurry up and play with us!" and the ever constant challenge to get stronger than other people) that will rush you to level. People are less inclined to go in an MMO with the mindset that it's just a game, that you're supposed to enjoy it and just have fun and just fuck around. People have double standards when they play SPRPGs and MMORPGs.
    I think if I were on the TESO dev team, I would do something akin to what Gw2 did for legendarys and require you to 100% your faction map in order to unlock the next faction (and then that one for the last faction). That would make people look in every cave, house, and side quest.

btw, darksoldierr, what don't you like about the combat? (don't know if you didn't see my post at the top of the page)

Sadly, I agree . So many times I tried to play an MMO like a single player, to just take my time and have fun...to be honest I once was very close to succeed it with lotro but even then, while I was close to the end I felt again that pressure for rush...in swtor I tried it at first and for the first 20 levels was ok but then I started skipping some side quests and around level 40 I just spacebared all side quests except from main story quest..but I guess thats whats MMO are..you play with other people and you have to compete with them. Thats the beauty and at the same time the bad part of MMOs
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    My biggest problem with Skyrim was the combat, my first character was a 2hand axe user, and it got so boring, that you have only 3 movies, i never ever finished him. I even put the game away. When i installed again, i went with dual wielding, was definitely more fun, but still felt short.

I dont want it to become 46235646 abilities WoW, but i would love to see some more variation / customization compared to Skyrim. Some combos, some different moves. I dont want Devil May Cry, but something "more"
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    My biggest problem with Skyrim was the combat, my first character was a 2hand axe user, and it got so boring, that you have only 3 movies, i never ever finished him. I even put the game away. When i installed again, i went with dual wielding, was definitely more fun, but still felt short.

I dont want it to become 46235646 abilities WoW, but i would love to see some more variation / customization compared to Skyrim. Some combos, some different moves. I dont want Devil May Cry, but something "more"
    Ah...

This game will not be for you then. Its a mmo based off of the TES franchise so it's basic combat will be like TES. We might have combos at higher levels though. I mean, the guy was level 2 or something lol.

Deleted
    Meh, looks good to me. I think people raised their expectations WAY too high.

Deleted
    Got to remember that in this beta version there isn't a tutorial/story mission that is supposed to be before this zone.

By the time you reach that island, you should be levelled up a little bit more- with more skill points, attributes and activated abilities.
    Combat does look floaty, but maybe levelling up your weapon skills changes that. I guess we'll find out. Anyway, Beta is Beta.

only thing im disappointed with is the authors terrible play. Everything else looked fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    only thing im disappointed with is the authors terrible play. Everything else looked fine to me.
    Yeah.

This looks like an Elder Scrolls MMO.
    If you don't like Elder Scrolls you won't like it as an Elder Scrolls MMO and if you don't like MMOs you won't like an Elder Scrolls MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it's on an old build, I'm assuming. It's already been said that you'll be able to see your hands/arms in 1st person Combat. They weren't visible in this video. I also assume they are going to do a passover of the graphics. Also, this was highly annoying to watch the guy play, but that's just me.

Two things that will probably (hopefully) get a good polish before open beta/launch:
    Graphics
    UI (font in particular)

Not sure how far along in the beta this was, but, it was a big old "meh" for me. I am still excited for the game, but I guess my excitement has been downgraded a tad. I'll wait until I can get my hands on it before I make a final decision.
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2013-04-14 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Well, it's on an old build, I'm assuming. It's already been said that you'll be able to see your hands/arms in 1st person Combat. They weren't visible in this video. I also assume they are going to do a passover of the graphics. Also, this was highly annoying to watch the guy play, but that's just me.

Two things that will probably (hopefully) get a good polish before open beta/launch:
    Graphics
    UI (font in particular)

Not sure how far along in the beta this was, but, it was a big old "meh" for me. I am still excited for the game, but I guess my excitement has been downgraded a tad. I'll wait until I can get my hands on it before I make a final decision.
    You know what doesnt make or break a game for me? Graphics. I really dont care what the graphics are as long as they are smooth and not grainy.

Deleted
    Beta or not, I utterly lost my interest in the game.

Why was I expecting anything different? Sigh.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know what doesnt make or break a game for me? Graphics. I really dont care what the graphics are as long as they are smooth and not grainy.
    I don't think they are bad, my first impression was AoC which isn't all that bad. They'll probably turn on AA and just polish it. Oh and I might sound weird for saying this, but the UI is TOO minimal for me. I could go for an Oblivion style UI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    -snip-

Very dissapointed with it.
    The guy that made the video is trying to make the game look bad. His description is "game sucks dont buy it" . Dont judge the game on this one early video.
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-04-14 at 04:51 PM.

Deleted
    Just watched Elder Scrolls Online cinematic trailer.... gobsmacked! It is the first studio released MMO trailer since WoW Burning Crusade that gave me goosebumps!

Then immediately after watched that poorly played Youtube leaked footage ... doh!

Leaked footage looks like an unpolished Age of Conan clone with a poor UI and without any of the atmosphere (sinister or otherwise) or immersion draw.

That said, there are definitely hints of a potentially more fluid combat system than at least AoC. It is a shame the leaker was so incompetent and also didn't choose a melee character to really start to show the basic envelope of the combat system. I also like that the third-person camera movement has much more freedom (WoW-like) than I expected from other reports.

For the combat system, there are important things like instant character turn (especially with mouse), skill switching, ability to skill-cancel (e.g. block in the middle of other actions), dodging mechanics (e.g. dodging melee, dodging targetted spells), actions while jumping/feet of the ground (especially magic and ranged users), turning in air, backpedelling speed vs forward motion, strafing speed, stamina impact on abilities, acceleration, deceleration, cooldown dominance, etc. These basics of the combat system are all especially important for a game that tries to avoid the traditional MMORPG/WoW realtime visual skill complexity.

So, yeah, I have tempered my initial extreme enthusiasm for now until I see much much more. If anything Neverwinter Online is starting to look a little tempting, if only it were not a PW game.

Separately, those who think WoW has *ever* had a poor starter experience (relative to the market of its day on each release) are insane. It is easily one of the best if not the best starter experience of all MMORPGs. Even the awesome LotR and AoC starters pale in comparison to the deep integration and therefore immersion, flexibility and overall appeal of WoW's starter areas.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2013-04-14 at 02:37 PM.