Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthat View Post
    Even though I love this game, honestly you might want to hold off. The combat is still absurdly unresponsive for a released game. Something you can do today if you haven't already: watch the entire Quakecon "Future of ESO" panel on youtube. Decide which of the announced features most interests you, keep an eye on Reddit to find out when said feature is actually coming out, and resub about 1 month before that so you can be all caught up when it hits. In my case it will probably be whenever they implement the faster attack animations.

Hmmm, I kinda can't help but agree that having the know-how to clip heavy attacks kinda sucks and the animation should just match the shorter swing time needed. If they made "hold the attack button" just throw heavies at the quickest speed it would probably make that whole side fairer, it lets skilled folks show through but until you point it out and install an addon that lets you see it, does kinda suck indd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

I got my Guar in the mail today. He is so Squee!

Even though I love this game, honestly you might want to hold off. The combat is still absurdly unresponsive for a released game.
    I am always really tempted to resub to the game but the combat always holds me back from doing it. I don't know if there is really anything they could do about it at this point though.

The only issues I've had with the combat have been weapon swapping feeling unreliable (which they appear to be fixing) and abilities using mana without casting (Silver Bolts and DK's Dark Talons being the biggest noticeable culprits).
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Deleted
    Well the only problem I have with combat is that all class abilities cost magicka, in my opinion they should cost either magicka or stamina depending on what you prefer. (Keep in mind, I am talking about either it all costs magicka or every ability costs stamina in a single line)

My main issue with the combat is how much someone is screwed over for going down the two-handed sword and heavy armour route. If they fix that and make it a lot more enjoyable and viable then I'd be able to be more enthusiastic about the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesius Baelthar View Post
    My main issue with the combat is how much someone is screwed over for going down the two-handed sword and heavy armour route. If they fix that and make it a lot more enjoyable and viable then I'd be able to be more enthusiastic about the game.
    Well you are punished in general for not being 1.a sorc 2.using destro staff/resto staff 3.wearing light armor 4.use the same cookie cutter build everyone is using.

IF you don't do that you lose 80% dps, your tankability is much lower and your healing is worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by zylathas View Post
    Well you are punished in general for not being 1.a sorc 2.using destro staff/resto staff 3.wearing light armor 4.use the same cookie cutter build everyone is using.

IF you don't do that you lose 80% dps, your tankability is much lower and your healing is worthless.
    Unless you mean PvP, 1 is not required. I have no idea about PvP though.

I get why they made all the class abilities magicka from a lore/conceptual standpoint. I mean, they are clearly "magical" abilities - normal people of Nirn can't just breathe fire or whatever. The problem is that this choice instantly makes all your unique skills magic-based and all the generic shared ones stamina-based. There's basically a caked-in bias towards one resource, and the skills that happen to share it (staves) almost naturally end up more useful. And of course, there's also the issue of stamina also being your block/dodge bar, so every time you roll you just used up a precious dps resource.

If they could go back in time, it probably would have been better to add a third resource to the game somehow, kind of like the shout system. Basically something else to power your class abilities rather than your weapon/guild abilities. I mean, if light armor only reduced the cost of staff abilities and mage guild abilities (rather than all class abilities as well), it would still be useful for people who wanted to play pure mages or healers, but that's about it. They would also then be free to tweak resource costs independently.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    If they could go back in time, it probably would have been better to add a third resource to the game somehow, kind of like the shout system.
    That, or have a passive you can unlock in order to have Dodge/roll, Block, Sprint, and Bash use Magicka instead of Stamina.

Quote Originally Posted by zylathas View Post

My personal answer to this at the moment is NOT playing it with an endgame optimal character in mind. Questing, a bit of PVP, some dungeon runs etc. Basically think multiplayer Skyrim rather than serious raiding.

I figure in time they'll shake out most/all of these annoying issues, further balance passes will fix the issues with certain setups being required for raiding and it will become quite natural to play as whatever within a slightly less narrow range.

If you think back to vanilla wow, only warriors were "viable" tanks. pallies, druids, priests and shaman were ALL healers, pure DPS classes were the only DPS. It took till nearly the end of TBC for them to get that sorted (I remember having a pally tank in my guild TBC but they had to bust their ass to get even remotely viable and then it was as off-tank/AoE tank).

So I'll keep plugging away, may end up getting the staff skills and light armour done if I want to take part in serious raiding but I kinda see all that as more "flavour of the month" at the moment than how things will be going forward. If you think about it there's no way they'll expect the whole player base to be ok with all these tree's etc being ultimately pointless and "light and staves is needed for raiding" so it'll take some time but fixes will happen.

At least it's possible to get other skill tree's leveled and become viable. It's going to be kind of worth having a character with basically everything available to them eventually, it's just a bit tough to do.
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2014-07-25 at 10:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

If anyone missed it, QGN's interview with Nick Konkle where they talk more about Spellcrafting, the Champion system and new zones:

http://elderscrollsotr.mymiddleearth...t-nick-konkle/

Also, they are moving the EU servers to EU, next week. Expect a long maintenance. Sauce (clicky)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    My personal answer to this at the moment is NOT playing it with an endgame optimal character in mind. Questing, a bit of PVP, some dungeon runs etc. Basically think multiplayer Skyrim rather than serious raiding.
    Just wanted to focus on this a bit. You can do Trials easily without being all about 100% efficient, as long as you don't care about times. i personally don't, and it's a lot of fun. You need to have a build that makes sense, sure (2h tanking is not a sensible choice for example :P) but it's totally doable. A good rule of thumb for DPS is doing more than 500 which is not all that hard to do whatever build you might have. Sure, being in a fully optimized, cookie cutter group is going to make things easier, but not by a huge margin. Just my observations on trials.

10+ Year Old Account
    That, or have a passive you can unlock in order to have Dodge/roll, Block, Sprint, and Bash use Magicka instead of Stamina.
    This has been a "flaw" (more one of those "bugs" that's supposed to be a "feature") in the ESO rpg series since it's inception. They could simply cut the cost of non-Magicka abilities in an attempt to balance between the two, but yeah, not seeing that happen.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Is there a decent addon besides Recount to track dps? My window gets stuck in the top left corner and can't be moved. It also seems to bug out quite a bit.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    Is there a decent addon besides Recount to track dps? My window gets stuck in the top left corner and can't be moved. It also seems to bug out quite a bit.
    Foundry tactical combat has a built in damage meter and is what I use.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    This has been a "flaw" (more one of those "bugs" that's supposed to be a "feature") in the ESO rpg series since it's inception. They could simply cut the cost of non-Magicka abilities in an attempt to balance between the two, but yeah, not seeing that happen.
    Or they could add an ability to convert magicka into stamina.

Quote Originally Posted by Reliefpfeiler View Post
    Or they could add an ability to convert magicka into stamina.
    Confirmed with spellcrafting

I'm thinking of getting back into ESO now that they're ironing out a lot of the annoying things from launch like the VA grinding.

Deleted
    So, I bought ESO in like may, played through the free month casually and stopped there. I just had the feeling something's off with this game. So I started thinking about what could've been different in this game and an idea came to my mind.

I don't know how alive and good pve is done (did just 1 instance) but it just felt...meh. The system is just another copypasta of the holy trinity system and that one dungeon I did was not very...cool. In fact it's been pretty dull. Once again, I cannot really judge the whole of pve group content so your input would be really appreciated. But let's get to the point.

Imagine if they scrapped the existing pve system (dungeons and raids) and replaced it with a brand new system. When I came up with it, I called it simply adventures (no, not Wildstar copypasta). In each major city there would be a guy in the inn called Bard or however-the-fuck-you'd-like-him-to-be-named and he would be the 'tool' to create an adventure. How would it work? Simply gather a group of people ranging from 5 to say, 10/15 as it would be the requirement to start planning your adventure.
    Once that's done you could either create your own adventure or choose one from the, formerly done by devs, preset.

But what exactly is an adventure?
    Simply put, it's a generated instance for your party/raid applied directly to the 'real' realm's world. Take an example. You with friends want to undertake an epic quest from Daggerfall to Skyrim to find a forgotten tomb. You use the tool to create a specific scenario from hundreds of replacable options with each choice altering the following one or so. The player would decide whether he wants a long adventure, or a short one. Of course, the longer and harder the adventure, the better the rewards. Such as exp, titles and some really nice loot at the end, generated by the game. But wait, there's more. Since it would be an instance applied to the global world, other players unaffiliated with you could either help you and get a share in the rewards (the creator would decide whether he accepts the help and scales the amount of rewards the helpers would get) OR attack you and make the adventure harder. pvp aspect? check. Adventure group would be tagged on their nameplates, indicating that they are undertaking one. Moreover, the group wouldn't be able to use fast travel during the adventure and all members have to stick together. Mounts would be allowed.

Accessibility.
    Any character above level 10 could join or create an adventure. The group would be rescaled to the average level but their skills remain. There would be no lock, so once 1 adv is done, the player could start another one.

Why is this all for.
    I've played ESO games before and talked a lot with people who are crazy about the franchise and everyone said something in the lines of 'yeah, it's not the same'. I hope adventures would increase the immersion by making sure each journey is one of a kind Imagine you're just standing in a city and someone asks you 'hey bilb0, wanna go on an adventure?' and you'd be like 'FUCK YEAH' not because it's something that can be done anytime as dungeons, but because it's an opportunity to witness something unique in this game, something which will fall in your memory and make you more in touch with the character you play.

Bonus:
    I heard that as of current state, Emperor doesn't really have much to do. Well guess what, the player being the Emperor would be able to fuck up people's adventures by adding extra 'flavour' to it, say additional step or more enemies along it's path.

Opinions, I embrace you.