Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Additionally warlocks particularly Affliction have been about torturing the living not raising corpses from the local graveyard. And as an above poster said it's more about torturing and collecting the soul using demonic magic imitating demons who do the same to mortals, not reviving the body of the fallen to function as corpses.

It would be a fun choice, but changing the type of all your minions, meh, I don't see Blizzard doing it, the Glyph would also have to change a lot of other demon themed spells like Banish and Enslave Demon or it would look like a weird mix of undead and demon magic, way too much work for a little flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahr View Post
    Necromancy is raising the dead through shadow/necrotic magic.
    Fel Magic is magic either empowered by demonic energy, or the magic that the demons themselves use.

By that logic, all magic has the same roots, but you don't see an arcanist being compared to a demonologist, because the schools of magic have become so diverse.

@OP - No. Warlocks use Demonic Magic, not Necrotic Energy-fueled Shadow magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitBat69 View Post
    Additionally warlocks particularly Affliction have been about torturing the living not raising corpses from the local graveyard. And as an above poster said it's more about torturing and collecting the soul using demonic magic imitating demons who do the same to mortals, not reviving the body of the fallen to function as corpses.
    And Affliction Warlocks are pretty much Necromancers. The feel of them screams necromancer, not warlock (unlike a Destruction warlock...even Demonology very much feels like a Demon Hunter now) which makes sense considering they're derived from the scrapped Necromancer class! Yet all anyone can ever really say is that "They use fel magic/demon pets, so they can't be Necromancers!"

It was a matter of convenience to the devs that Affliction use demon pets, rather than unique, special undead pets made specifically for that one specialization. Hell, I've even seen a guy claim that "Necromancy is banned" and would imply that it somehow too evil to be used by players and, of course, failing to acknowledge that lore-wise, warlocks shouldn't even be allowed.

Convenience (to the devs for themselves or the players) can always trump lore or logic. We all know this, yet people will willingly ignore it if it doesn't directly support their claim.
    Last edited by arboachg; 2012-05-04 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arboachg View Post
    And Affliction Warlocks are pretty much Necromancers. The feel of them screams necromancer, not warlock (unlike a Destruction warlock...even Demonology very much feels like a Demon Hunter now) which makes sense considering they're derived from the scrapped Necromancer class!
    this is wrong on so many levels.

death knights were the ones built on the scrapped necromancer class (along with the scrapped runemaster class).

necromancers in WoW usually use bone armor (dk spell), raise dead (DK spell) along with shadow bolt (warlock spell that affliction warlocks no longer have). in lore they use diseases, not curses (and diseases are DK debuffs). they also use frost spells and warlocks have none.

just because they would have similar "feels" doesn't mean they can be baked in the same class. changing warlock minions to undead, enslave demon to enslave undead, fire spells to frost spells and curses to diseases would be way too much of a change not to have impact on gameplay, and anything less than that would not give us warcraft necromancers.

---------- Post added 2012-05-04 at 03:12 PM ----------

believe me: no one else here would love to play caster necromancers more than I would.

but turning warlocks into necromancers with a glyph would be such a half-assed way to do it that it would be an offense to both classes. it would disconsider lore and be far too much of a stretch.

not to mention the technical problems.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Propably best if you just wait untill they (if ever) make Necromancers a playable class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraclef View Post
    We have enough of those new pinkies poney glyphs.... Fixing the gameplay is now URGENT. BTW, there is no place for another glyph.
    Team for balancing game mechanics =/= team for cosmetic glyphs. Specialization of labour ftw. Besides, Fel forbid we have to make a choice about glyphs.

Now OP, logically I can understand why Warlocks could use Necromancy, given that the Scourge was originally controlled by the Legion, I'd strongly advise against this glyph. Aside from the fact that there is a class with undead pets (UH DK), it doesn't feel "warlocky" to me...

Although, with the "Legacy of the Masters" showing that the Player-race Warlocks cherrypick the best spells of the enemies of previous expansions to learn, it wouldn't surprise me if some learned from the Scourge. But replacing every demon would be too much (not to mention what use would Grimoire of Supremacy be?
    Last edited by mmoc95c4570f6c; 2012-05-04 at 11:01 PM.

If the schools are that close why can't a mage or shaman summon demons rather than elementals.
    There is sufficient distinction to prevent that, and so it should remain.
    If anything the necromancy is more along the lines of death knights than affliction warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Ultima View Post
    Although, with the "Legacy of the Masters" showing that the Player-race Warlocks cherrypick the best spells of the enemies of previous expansions to learn, it wouldn't surprise me if some learned from the Scourge. But replacing every demon would be too much (not to mention what use would Grimoire of Supremacy be?
    for some reason none of the lock masters went to learn from the scourge.

I'd say it's probably because they already have enough problems with the fel magic prohibition and stuff like this, so they don't really need the argent crusade and the ebon blade on their trail lol

EDIT: for those who don't know, all societies except for trolls, goblins, the forsaken and blood elves forbid the use of fel magic. humans, orcs, dwarves and gnomes do warlock stuff because they are stubborn
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Shadow Priests are more of necromancers in this regard than Affliction Warlocks.

Even then, that's pushing it.

warlocks wield demonic magic....not necromantic
    i made a post sometime ago about this....how certain spells should not be within a warlock's arsenal. spells like haunt and soul this and that.
    a necromancer still has a chance of being an individual class, provided that dks dont get it all x_x
    Peace, the number 1 reason for War.
    Fight on my minions
    /petattack

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    Even though I have nothing against your suggestion and it would be a neat thing, I have to agree that indeed, the "Warlocks" from Warcraft aren't really some kind of necromancer-like casters. No, not even affliction with their curse and drain style.
    To Destroy your entire post where it stands, read about wc2 death knights. They were shadow council WARLOCKS souls placed into the corpses of the enemy. Orgrim Doomhammer's first act as the new Warchief of the Horde was to crush the orc warlocks of the Shadow Council. He grudgingly spared the council's former master, Gul'dan, in exchange for the warlock's servitude; in turn Gul'dan promised to create a host of powerful new warriors to serve the Horde. After experimenting at length with the souls of the recently slain council members, Gul'dan successfully instilled the spirit of the Warlock Teron Gorefiend into the corpse of a fallen knight of Stormwind. Thus, the first terrifying death knight was born. Gul'dan transformed his other council members as well, creating a vast legion of unholy warriors who sowed chaos and fear throughout the land of Azeroth during the Second War.

Basically saying here, but warlocks and necromancers go hand in hand (at least wc2 lore). Now, do I think Warlocks should become "necromancers" in wow? no. Leave that to the 4th spec of dks.

15+ Year Old Account
    With the exception of Dreadlords, the race of demons that mastered necromancy, I believe that death magic and fel magic should be kept distinctly seperated.

Necromancers animate the dead, use diseases and frost magic, and gradually become undead themselves.

Warlocks enslave demons, uses curses and fire magic, and are able to transform into demons.

Despite some similarities, they are very different. So much so that I can't get behind the idea.

I honestly don't even really care for Forsaken warlocks because the idea of an undead summoning or transforming into a demon feels contradictory to me from a visual standpoint, even if it's supported by lore and logic.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2012-05-05 at 05:22 AM.

to me it seems like warlocks are to necromancers what pallys are to priests. close, but not quite the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Sorry, but this is BS.

Warlocks are not necromancers.
    Warlocks make deals with demons who can actually think and decide for themselves, while necromancers move bones around with their magic.

What you are suggesting is completely out of lore and totally false.

Deleted
    why should a warlock, who uses demonic magic and demons, have anything to do with undead-related things?
    it just doesnt make any sense.

remember you summon a demon from the twisting nether. changing this to resurrect a skeleton or something is quite a major change^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    Sorry, but this is BS.

Warlocks are not necromancers.
    Warlocks make deals with demons.

What you are suggesting is completely out of lore and totally false.
    Aside from your lore explaination of, say, Ray of Twilight as we are not TH memberss, Warlocks ars shown to be able to use any source of power when nerded for their own gain (look at Legacy of the Masters).

Also we don't make contracts with demons, we dominate and control them à la the old quests to learn how to summon your demon, binding q single demon to your beck and call.

How is this. "BS" if you believe using a mindless Lich would be more productive than a firebolt happy
    Imp? I'm just playing Devil's Advocate, but it isn't as if Warlocks weren't already given some Necromancer overtones (Death Coil for example.)

Our death coil is different from the one used in warcraft3, death knight have exact copy of original death coil. I believe that warlocks had chosen to learn only necromancer abilities that are used to dominate souls of their foes, as those skills are more arcane in their essence, and they were not interested to play with dead bodies or diseases and other filthy spells that necromancers used to use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing old websites are archived:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200502040.../info/classes/

Warlocks were mages that delved too deeply into the roots of demonic power. Consumed by a lust for dark knowledge, they've tapped into chaotic magics from beyond the world. The Burning Legion now feeds them their powers, allowing them to channel destructive energies and call upon the powerful emissaries of their demon masters.
    So ... originally mages
    And seeing the burning legion feeding them their power, we can safely assume this is fel energy.

Deleted
    Necromancer is the new hero class in 6.0 that gets to automatically win the first 2 arena seasons because they are a "hero class". This is why they cannot add it to the warlock class. Trolling aside;

I think it's a good idea, but it does make warlocks a bit too cosmetical tbh. There should be some similarity between warlock#1 and warlock#2, even if they glyph and spec exactly opposite, necromancer vs destruction, the similarity is gone.