Help, I'm trying to build a new gaming computer.

Hello everyone,
    This will be my first time building a computer from scratch. I've been looking at parts from newegg.com and I'm feeling VERY lost as to where to start. I'm looking to spend around 1500$-1900$ but I have many questions about this. I was thinking of getting a SSD to play WoW on for faster load times and computer load times, is this a good idea?
    Also if I get a high end video card like a Nvidia 580GTX+ do I have to buy a heat sink?
    I think if I can get a good CPU/Motherboard combo sorted out first, the rest would come easily
    I would just be using the computer to play games off of Steam, and WoW/Diablo 3/GW2.
    I just want a system that's blazing fast. I've been saving up for a long time and just want to treat myself.
    Also, I've seen people playing WoW on 120hz monitors with a good setup and it looks AMAZING, is it worth the extra money going from 60hz to 120hz?
    I've been looking at computer towers, midsize would be perfectly fine for a big PSU right?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully I can get some good feedback. Thank you !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ayyo View Post
    Hello everyone,
    This will be my first time building a computer from scratch. I've been looking at parts from newegg.com and I'm feeling VERY lost as to where to start. I'm looking to spend around 1500$-1900$ but I have many questions about this. I was thinking of getting a SSD to play WoW on for faster load times and computer load times, is this a good idea?
    Also if I get a high end video card like a Nvidia 580GTX+ do I have to buy a heat sink?
    I think if I can get a good CPU/Motherboard combo sorted out first, the rest would come easily
    I would just be using the computer to play games off of Steam, and WoW/Diablo 3/GW2.
    I just want a system that's blazing fast. I've been saving up for a long time and just want to treat myself.
    Also, I've seen people playing WoW on 120hz monitors with a good setup and it looks AMAZING, is it worth the extra money going from 60hz to 120hz?
    I've been looking at computer towers, midsize would be perfectly fine for a big PSU right?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully I can get some good feedback. Thank you !!
    while this is not in the right section ill answer it anyway =)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7I3Q

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($121.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Hard Drive: Crucial m4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($259.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($479.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Cooler Master 700W ATX12V Power Supply ($93.50 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1532.31
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-03 20:03 EDT-0400)

that is a new ivy bridge cpu/mobo 8 gigs ram and monster video card and everything in-between with a 1tb storage and 256 ssd

also yes a 120hz monitor is nice =)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayyo View Post
    Hello everyone,

I recently built my first system also, and a SSD is a very noticeable difference.

If you get a high end video card you don't need to buy a heatsink, the cards have one pre-installed. Some of them are reference, as in they have the basic one, others like Twin Frozr or Hydro Copper are non reference and are better.

I got a 120hz monitor with my new system, and yes its brilliant. Not sure if its worth the extra money to just play wow though.

Mid sized tower is enough yeah. I personally prefer full sized, but when I was getting advice, there was plenty of suggestions of mid sized towers that were more than enough for almost any system.

Parts wise, the only difference I'd make with Flcrewpolo's list is a z77 motherboard like the ASRock z77 Extreme4, which is only slightly more expensive but very worth it. Throw in a 120hz monitor , and a basic optical drive(cd/dvd driver) and you should come within budget and be set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    I recently built my first system also, and a SSD is a very noticeable difference.

If you get a high end video card you don't need to buy a heatsink, the cards have one pre-installed. Some of them are reference, as in they have the basic one, others like Twin Frozr or Hydro Copper are non reference and are better.

I got a 120hz monitor with my new system, and yes its brilliant. Not sure if its worth the extra money to just play wow though.

Mid sized tower is enough yeah. I personally prefer full sized, but when I was getting advice, there was plenty of suggestions of mid sized towers that were more than enough for almost any system.

Parts wise, the only difference I'd make with Flcrewpolo's list is a z77 motherboard like the ASRock z77 Extreme4, which is only slightly more expensive but very worth it. Throw in a 120hz monitor , and a basic optical drive(cd/dvd driver) and you should come within budget and be set.
    the board sandraudiga suggested is good i like gigabyte for the the 2x pcb but cant really say anything as i use a asus extreme board right now anyway lol

either board is very good and the computer will smash through wow and other games with 0 issues

10+ Year Old Account
    Pick up a 120 Hz monitor , apart from being softer on your damn eyes than a 60 hz one it makes games look better and shiz, if needed for the games your playing you can drop to a 7950 to fit the monitor in the budget given above

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Here is a build I put together for you!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7IxA
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7IxA/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7IxA/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.47 @ CompUSA)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($147.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($116.95 @ B&H)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($507.55 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1513.76
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-03 22:17 EDT-0400)

I changed a few things from the build that was posted above. Here are my notes on that.

1. I put in a different processor and cooler. The cooler that I have given will be stable with the 2500k to very high overclocks. I put the 2500k because the performance is quite close to IB, and better when OCd.
    2. The MB I have chosen for you is a new generation board.
    3. The RAM is low profile. It will fit underneath the heat sink.
    4. I dropped the SSD to 128.
    5. The GPU I added is an OC GPU (from the factory, i.e. factory warranty.)
    6. The case is one of the best mid cases on the market. Plenty of space and airflow.
    7. The PSU I added is fully modular and top notch quality. You could go with a larger capacity one if you will be doing crossfire in the future.

Please feel free to ask questions you may have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate it guys. Looking into each of them now.