heroic blackhorn broken?

sorry if this had been discussed, but is heroic blackhorn broken since tuesdays patch? it seems like the fire is spreading and spawning at an obscene rate after tuesdays mini patch. any other guilds noticing this?

It's been broken since it came out. Sometimes it happens that fire just won't go out. In fact this week or last week the fire actually kept spreading in phase two. You just have to deal with it and hope it gets extinguished, and it did extinguish for my kill this week so keep at it.

On our farm yesterday we had 0 fire going into the 3rd set of adds. It's just random.

We really do need some kind of banner or pop up when you come into R & D proclaiming that blackhorn isn't broken. Same thread every week.

Heroic Blackhorn has been bugged in many ways since release. I did notice though that the gnomes were not putting out the fires in phase 1, they were simply afking in the air. And yes those fires were real. We had several deaths in phase 2 but didn't wipe, no doubt thanks to the 20% nerf.

In my opinion, having some fires in phase 2 would have made the entire encounter a lot more difficult and give it that heroic "twist" lol, but I can understand that guilds who are just recently starting progression on the encounter will be frustrated by the seemingly uncontrollable nature of the deck fires.

As someone else said, we had zero fires going into the third set of adds, by the time Gariona landed the deck was about half covered and then the fire continued to spread. The fire didn't start to diminish until Gariona flew away. Luckily the Aspects buff is so high at this point that the deck fire is not much more than a huge inconvenience.

We noticed that the fire seemed a bit out of controll this week, but quite frankly, not much of a problem - Considering how most people oneshot it nowadays it hard to really figure out if anything changed or its just that good ol RnG messing with ya

Did you let the last sapper get through? We let the sapper go through after Blackhorn was down since the ship wasn't in danger of exploding, and then we get some fire during phase 2. It wasn't a big deal though.

Blackhorn Heroic is a unique fight in the fact that the nerfs actually make it harder.

What you are experiencing is the problem that you are clearing the add waves too fast. We had spent many farm nights wiping to the infuriating fire mechanics until we realised the problem.

Our solution has been to delay killing one of the drakes on the 3rd wave and actually let it get released from the harpoon so it has to be dragged in for a second time. What this actually does is ensure that you have the 5th Twilight Onslaught and gives enough time for the Droids to put the fires out for P2. Since we've changed to this strategy we have been having minimal fire into the transition and zero throughout P2.

Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Griearth View Post
    Blackhorn Heroic is a unique fight in the fact that the nerfs actually make it harder.
    Not in the least. The nerfs allow you to survive ticks of fire + roar, whereas pre nerf that would kill you. There is a lot of leeway on the fight now, you can fairly easily deal with an entire ship of fire. Play around the fire if you have to.

Also, the nerf doesn't make p1 go any faster than before. Maybe 10 seconds. Majority of guilds killed drakes in 1 harpoon phase anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post
    Not in the least. The nerfs allow you to survive ticks of fire + roar, whereas pre nerf that would kill you. There is a lot of leeway on the fight now, you can fairly easily deal with an entire ship of fire. Play around the fire if you have to.

Also, the nerf doesn't make p1 go any faster than before. Maybe 10 seconds. Majority of guilds killed drakes in 1 harpoon phase anyway.
    Yes it does. It allows you to skip the 5th onslaught entirely and get into P2 much faster and therefore have the issue of a deck filled with fire which didn't happen before. This actually makes it "harder" because you have an extra mechanic to deal with that wasn't present before and less room to play with.

I concur that there is a lot more wiggle room due to not having to execute things perfectly but for the majority of guilds this kind of thing will be a big issue.
    Last edited by Griearth; 2012-05-04 at 10:39 AM.

Deleted
    we actually had tons of issues with the fires last night. It felt like something had changed - it spread extremely quickly and didn't always disappear even when you stand in the bugged fires

What we ended up doing was going with 3 healers and focusing on soaking as well as possible. We killed one drake > adds > other drake. This gave a bit more time for the fires to go out. With the nerf to damage (i think it affects the barrages - just not the onslaughts?) we ended up having loads of soaking which kept the ship alive, particularly after we hit 25% and the last fires spawned.

We still had probably 30-40% of the deck covered in fire by the time that blackhorn died but at least it was patchy and we nuked goriona hard so she flew away very quickly to avoid the aoe damage.

When we were learning the fight, the buggy random fire was a big issue. The fight is still doable though and you learn to deal with it as best you can. Now with the debuff, the fire isn't that big a problem. As long as everyone is intercepting the barrage in their assigned spots, you can delay the eventual fire spread that'll engulf the entire platform. We still manage very rarely to get kills where theres been almost no fire at all. Its pretty random like that.
    We are warriors, born from the light
    An army for freedom, defenders of life
    Warriors, euphoria will rise
    Returning from darkness we bury all lies

Quote Originally Posted by Griearth View Post
    Yes it does. It allows you to skip the 5th onslaught entirely and get into P2 much faster and therefore have the issue of a deck filled with fire which didn't happen before. This actually makes it "harder" because you have an extra mechanic to deal with that wasn't present before and less room to play with.

I concur that there is a lot more wiggle room due to not having to execute things perfectly but for the majority of guilds this kind of thing will be a big issue.
    You always skipped the 5th onslaught. At least we did, and our dps isn't phenomenal.

it's a real pain in the arse this week -

The bug has taken a significant turn for the worse and is VERY annoying!.. grrrrrrrrrrrr

We were finding a small pocket of fire going into P2 on the deck could mean the whole (yes 100% of the deck) could eventually be engulfed in fire before Gariona died. And it was real fire too, not the fake crap in the previous bug.
    Last edited by wooinau; 2012-05-04 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post
    You always skipped the 5th onslaught. At least we did, and our dps isn't phenomenal.
    Not according to your logs :P

Anyhow, I hope my original reply is of help to someone because it helped us overcome this annoying problem.

No, you just got unlucky this reset.
    I heard onyxia deep breaths more though..

It depends on how much you soak from what i've gathered. Whenever our healer would dc or soemthing and there would be less soaks on the small purples then more fire would spawn.

that fight has always been terrible as far as bugs go, last week we had a full deck of fire with the ship at high health during p2 and Goriana decided to stick around after she had been dps'd down just to add more confusion to the fight *still killed it, fyeah*
    <KillingTime> Dawnbringer U.S. 8/8 heroic
    Mitsuka, Savior of Aseroth