Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

What is a good UI for Holy Paladins?

What do you believe is a good UI for a Holy Paladin? Clean? Cluttered? Minimal? I see a UI for a Holy Paladin being pretty and sleek, while still showing the necessities like Raid Frames.

I like to see what’s going on in the raid, however one of my friends in-game has a small screen so he can’t help but have a cluttered UI. He insists it doesn’t hold him back, but what are your views?

Would a cluttered UI stop you from performing your best? Would a clean UI stop you performing your best?

This is my UI, let me know what you think (click for larger image)

http://myholypaladin.com/what-is-a-g...holy-paladins/
    Last edited by mmoc2b11b736c1; 2012-06-08 at 10:38 AM.

Your UI has a lot of wasted space at the bottom. You could easily fit the same information into half of that. IMO.

I really like LUI (I turn off Grid which also downloads with it). It is a nice clean minimized UI and gives me plenty of space for Vuhdo, which is a space hog (or at least with the settings I like to have with it). I find these two addons are great for all of my healers. I am still leveling up my holy pally, but I use this for her now, as well as for my priest, druid and shammy healers.

Deleted
    I think a clean UI helps with most classes since it opens up the screen to boss mechanics and makes everything going on around you a lot more noticeable. I don't play a HPally as my main, but I do occasionally heal with my Hpally alt in LFR and I've found it's best to keep a UI to the bare bones of what you need. I usually have bartender scale the abilities down and place them right at the bottom of the screen since healing requires click/keybind combos so I don't really need to 'see' which ability I'm using to heal.

Then keep the unitframes/raidframes centred, just above your action bar, with a cast bar/forte bar above the raid frames.

With your UI, the placement of your own health frame and target frame is a little strange, when they could be moved to the left and right of your unitframes respectfully so you can see what's going on to the left of your toon. I also agree with Nekovivie that all that flair surrounding your chatbox, recount, action bar is taking up a lot of useful space and simply removing the panels would allow you to shift everything down (and allow you to see what's going on behind them)

Deleted
    hehe, i've been obsessed with that graphic for a while lol, maybe I should remove it! And that isn't my target it's my focus, im not targetting anyone

So you think a clean UI with no real abilities shown (scaled down), keybound and click bound heal spells and cooldowns? I like the sound of that! I might have to give myself a UI refresh this weekend hehe.

Which healing addon would you recommend? Vuhdo, Grid, Clique or Healbot? Maybe a few combined like Grid and Clique?

I see alot of users using LUI, ElvUI and other variations, I used to use them but they got kind of boring and limited for me. What do you guys think of them as a raiders UI?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daredalus View Post
    hehe, i've been obsessed with that graphic for a while lol, maybe I should remove it! And that isn't my target it's my focus, im not targetting anyone

So you think a clean UI with no real abilities shown (scaled down), keybound and click bound heal spells and cooldowns? I like the sound of that! I might have to give myself a UI refresh this weekend hehe.

Which healing addon would you recommend? Vuhdo, Grid, Clique or Healbot? Maybe a few combined like Grid and Clique?

I see alot of users using LUI, ElvUI and other variations, I used to use them but they got kind of boring and limited for me. What do you guys think of them as a raiders UI?
    Alot of people stray away and load their screen with alot of addons which they don't even end up using. The goal is to survive with the least amount of addons on your screen. The more addons you have the more your screen is occupied and the less your awareness . Addons are tools which help you with a certain element keep it to the bare minimum.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Plushyeu View Post
    Alot of people stray away and load their screen with alot of addons which they don't even end up using. The goal is to survive with the least amount of addons on your screen. The more addons you have the more your screen is occupied and the less your awareness . Addons are tools which help you with a certain element keep it to the bare minimum.
    Oo, never thought of it that way.

What would you class as the bare minimum?
    Mine would be, boss mod, bartender (for removing the actionbar artwork), a healing addon, a unit frame addon to show my mana and a buff/debuff bar list.

Deleted
    Raid Frames : ( Vuhdo would be my choice because you have all the options in 1 place)
    Bartender: for raidframes
    Unitframe: doesn't have to be an addon as the blizzard Ui provides you with all nec options and the ability to move it where you want. a Hud addon is nice if you want it to be around your char ( helps raise awareness as it's right in the middle of your screen )
    Nameplates : I like having nice nameplates aswell (tidyplates)
    Forte exorcist: is nice for all class related stuff
    Boss mods: Any is fine
    ACP: you can have this addon turn off any unc addons that you don't use for raiding as soon as you enter an instance.
    Hermes : if you're in charge of raid cd's so you can keep track of everyone.

Deleted
    I'll have to give some of them a go thanks

Deleted
    My main is a holy paladin... this is my UI Wullie
    Last edited by mmocbdd6d2219c; 2012-05-04 at 04:35 PM.

My UI is actually set up a lot like yours on my holy pally main. My unit frames are a bit lower and I don't have the big background thing at the bottom. Also my character menu or whatever, where you can view your equipment or queue for something, is up in the top left and hidden unless moused over. The addons I use are Shadowed Unit Frames, Bartender, Grid (a lot smaller than yours, but it looks like you're clicking and I'm mouseover-buttonpressing so that's probably a playstyle preference thing), and Sexymap. Oh and two Skadas going where yours is because I like to see healing AND dmg. I don't have any screenies of it. I should totally take one...the layouts of our setups are quite similar.

Deleted
    What would you class as the bare minimum?
    I'm not the quoted person but you can do very well without any addons what so ever, using script to remove and/or move the blizzard UI is enough and you can still heal at a high level of play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wullie View Post
    My main is a holy paladin... this is my UI Wullie
    Looks pretty cool man! Will have to give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by ryotte View Post
    My UI is actually set up a lot like yours on my holy pally main. My unit frames are a bit lower and I don't have the big background thing at the bottom. Also my character menu or whatever, where you can view your equipment or queue for something, is up in the top left and hidden unless moused over. The addons I use are Shadowed Unit Frames, Bartender, Grid (a lot smaller than yours, but it looks like you're clicking and I'm mouseover-buttonpressing so that's probably a playstyle preference thing), and Sexymap. Oh and two Skadas going where yours is because I like to see healing AND dmg. I don't have any screenies of it. I should totally take one...the layouts of our setups are quite similar.
    I switch my Skada between Healing and Damage between fights, now that im removing the graphic at the bottom I should have room for two

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    I'm not the quoted person but you can do very well without any addons what so ever, using script to remove and/or move the blizzard UI is enough and you can still heal at a high level of play.
    I agree! Add-ons are there just to make things 'easier', I find anyway.

Deleted
    I agree! Add-ons are there just to make things 'easier', I find anyway.
    Ye I use quite a few addons my self, but to answer the question "what is the bare minimum you need" the answer is 0.

Here's my UI, as a healer. click to make it bigger.

10+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    Ye I use quite a few addons my self, but to answer the question "what is the bare minimum you need" the answer is 0.

Here's my UI, as a healer. click to make it bigger.
    Dam thats cool! You got a download or is it strictly for yourself?

Deleted
    Dam thats cool! You got a download or is it strictly for yourself?
    Made it my self and due to the fact that I keep changing my UI every week or 2 I don't see my self ever uploading a UI, sorry.

There's a difference between "bare minimum" and "bare minimum to be able to play effectively".

Obviously anybody can throw out the number zero, but you are truly gimping yourself if you use the default UI, so even suggesting it is kind of silly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kilometer18 View Post
    There's a difference between "bare minimum" and "bare minimum to be able to play effectively".

Obviously anybody can throw out the number zero, but you are truly gimping yourself if you use the default UI, so even suggesting it is kind of silly.
    The only addon I would say is even remotely close to 'needed' is a boss addon such as Bigwigs or DBM.
    If you can think of something that cant be done with the blizzard default UI that is REQUIRED to succeed in high end pve then I'm all ears.

Lot of interesting thoughts in this post and I share most of the comments that were made on your UI =)

Thought i'd also share my own =)

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ytemossUI.html

I spent a LOT of time figuring out where to put what, which addons / info to show or hide etc. with the main purpose of being as efficient as possible as a PVE healer.
    On top of most of the things that have been already stated in this thread (clean UI, scaled down addons etc.), the main principles I've built my UI around include:

- Build your UI around your raid frames. Not the other way around. Raid frames are the most important part of your healer UI. This is where your eyes are going to be for more than 70% of your time so you should really put them in the right place and THEN build your UI around it.
    I see too many UIs where people start with their action bars, recount, chat etc. and then put the action bars on top and I don't think that's the right way to go
    All the very important information (CDs, mana, boss timers) should be right next to your frames so you can take the right decisions during the fight.

Within this tiny space on my screen I have all the info needed to take quick decisions during the fight

- There's a lot of things you'll find in many UIs that I find totally useless in combat as a healer. For instance mini map, action bars or buff icons (if a buff is important, it should have a power aura or message of some kind in the middle of your screen or next to your raid frames [e.g. power torrent or boss mechanics], if it's not important, you don't need to see it in combat [food/flaks and all classic buffs]).
    A good way to try and streamline your UI is to take a couple of screenshots of your UI in combat (or even better fraps yourself). After the raid, watch those and try to think what is the info you actually need to see to perform as a healer and what info is useless.

- People usually have their own character frame showing a big health bar with a little mana bar below it. My opinion / experience is that all you need to see is your mana (you can already see your health on your raid frames). It's why I turned my character frame in a HUGE mana bar =)

- I also think that grouping things together helps taking decisions faster in the middle of a fight. That's why you'll see that I grouped up "power" cooldowns (Wings, DF etc.) together, defensive CDs together, mana CDs together next to the mana bar, Holy shock CD next to the holy power bar etc.

Could go on for a lot longer but those are some of the main points!
    In the end UIs are very personnal imo so the perfect ui for you is YOURS and should build according to your needs / playstyle and only tryed to give guidelines here =)

Also in the video, you can see the following dynamic behaviors:
    - around 0:30, the UI changes when I enter combat (action bars disappear and get replaced by Forte, little info box on the right gets replaced by Omen)
    - CDs on cooldown are pushed away from the raid frames / mana bar so that the closest ones are the ones ready (around 2:40 for example when I use wings)
    Last edited by Kaytemoss; 2012-05-04 at 06:37 PM.