Ive done the research, but still need an opinion

2500K vs 3570K going on an Asrock z77 Extreme4. Currently using 955 BE (3.8G 1.36v @ 28* idle)cooled with an H80. Used mainly for gaming.

Everyone is saying the 2500K is the overclocking champ, and that 3570K is hard to cool past 4.5G. But on the other hand, everyone is saying to grab the 3570K unless you already have a 2500K. But then again, from other reviews, 4.5G on a 3570K is worth 5.0G on a 2500K. See my dilemma? Been researching for 7 days now, and still changing my mind every 2 minutes. I want to make a good decision as this will be the only CPU i buy for the next 2-3 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've seen from a number of tech websites, this is the general consensus:

If you waited on getting a Sandy because you wanted Ivy, you wasted your time. The Ivy Bridge has been generally regarded as "A lot less than people were expecting". Overhyped for something that was only marginally better, given the amount of time people have been waiting.

Ivy appears on paper to use less power (smaller die), however I've heard a LOT of reports and tests that say it has a much lower heat tolerance, especially when it comes to overclocking.

If you already have a 2500k, keep it. If you're upgrading from something older, you may as well get the Ivy since its nearly the same price with slightly newer tech. Performance wise, there is just about no noticable difference. The only difference you'll see is in benchmarks.

I figure I could snag a 3570 and run it to 4.5G. I should get decent temps with the H80, and the 3570 should be RELATIVELY future proof. Judging by the benchmarks, a 2500K is a HUGE upgrade over my 955BE, so the 3570 should make me happy.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am pretty sure Ivy Bridge is the hands down winner unless you require ~4.8 clocks.

3570k is better clock for clock then the 2500k so take that for what it is worth.

Thx for the info guys. Next question is.......keep the H80 or go with something else? The XSPC Rasa 750 kits look really nice, both functionally and aesthetically (thats all that matters right?), and the upgrade capability is great. Going to have to come up with some solid cooling for the 3570K.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    H80 should be more then enough. I would just be careful trying to reach super high clicks because I heard the voltages start to get pretty high.

If you do plan to go 4.8+ I might recommend just getting the 2500k, that way your h80 will be able to handle 4.8 no problem.