Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
... LastLast
  1. #201
    Unless you believe in a god or a soul then you should absolutely think they deserve human rights as human beings are just biological machines then.

    That doesn't mean a religious person would say they don't deserve human rights, it just means the "something special about us" argument is the only thing that could possibly be reason to deny them the same rights.

    Unfortunately many ignorant people will likely be against giving them human rights and the new racism in the future will be against the skin color silver.
    Last edited by frogger237; 2012-05-05 at 07:17 PM.

  2. #202
    Bloodsail Admiral Reluctant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,085
    If true sentient machines where ever made they would wipe out humanity. Anny limit put on it would make themm tools. So if there would be a time where they deserve human rights they would be very much capable of achieving it without humans.

  3. #203
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Reluctant View Post
    If true sentient machines where ever made they would wipe out humanity. Anny limit put on it would make themm tools. So if there would be a time where they deserve human rights they would be very much capable of achieving it without humans.
    There are hard limits on humans. Does that make us tools?

  4. #204
    off topic but I think the consideration to give Dolphis human rights should happen. They are at least as wise as human being, they certainly think and learn things fast and are possibly in cases even more intellect than human.
    Still they kill them in Japan etc just for nothing.

  5. #205
    Dreadlord lavafoxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Longview, Washington
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    There are hard limits on humans. Does that make us tools?
    I've met many humans that were complete tools.

    =3

  6. #206
    this my friend is a LONG debated topic of the 90s era..you are about 20 years behind.

    try movies like Blade Runner/Gattaca

  7. #207
    The Lightbringer N-7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,464
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Unless you believe in a god or a soul then you should absolutely think they deserve human rights as human beings are just biological machines then.

    That doesn't mean a religious person would say they don't deserve human rights, it just means the "something special about us" argument is the only thing that could possibly be reason to deny them the same rights.

    Unfortunately many ignorant people will likely be against giving them human rights and the new racism in the future will be against the skin color silver.
    Although that you've written down that not all religious people are the same, I wanted to say that I believe in these two and I think that any sentient life form should get equal rights. Also, religious people are not the only ones that use the "something special about us" argument.

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    So what useful thing do we have to do for our planet? Sing together in the woods, naked while enjoying some fine shrooms?

    I blame Avatar for all this emo-shit on MMO as if we're some kind of plague that will destroy the universe. What pessimistic lives some people here must have.
    humans take what they can. then they take more. the motto of the USA is MORE MORE MORE, eventually you run out and there is a problem. it's not stupid to think that knowing when you have enough is beneficial. there is a finite amount of food, shelter, entertainment you need. if you can afford more, you take more. nothing emo about being smart enough to know the difference in need vs want

    do you realize that passenger pigeons went from 2 mile long flocks to extinct in less than 20 years? dodos went extinct because of humans too.

    we most certainly are a plague because we can be. we refuse to limit ourselves and our resources are limited. what's the difference in humans and locusts?
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2012-05-05 at 07:50 PM.

  9. #209
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,206
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    humans take what they can. then they take more. the motto of the USA is MORE MORE MORE, eventually you run out and there is a problem. it's not stupid to think that knowing when you have enough is beneficial. there is a finite amount of food, shelter, entertainment you need. if you can afford more, you take more. nothing emo about being smart enough to know the difference in need vs want

    do you realize that passenger pigeons went from 2 mile long flocks to extinct in less than 20 years? dodos went extinct because of humans too.

    we most certainly are a plague because we can be. we refuse to limit ourselves and our resources are limited. what's the difference in humans and locusts?
    Your cynicism seems to be clouding your judgement. You do know that isn't this isn't the natural behavior of humans, right? We're not inherently greedy creatures. And like I said before, if robots were smart enough, they would know that a war against us would be pointless because they would just have to wait until we kill ourselves. Assuming, of course, that we are as bad as you say we are. Which we're not.

  10. #210
    An AI can not be sentient in the sense a human is... (... believed to be, unless the world is deterministic)
    Even if they are capable of learning and adapting or even show feelings, none of it will be nothing but code.

    ---------- Post added 2012-05-05 at 10:57 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Unless you believe in a god or a soul then you should absolutely think they deserve human rights as human beings are just biological machines then.

    That doesn't mean a religious person would say they don't deserve human rights, it just means the "something special about us" argument is the only thing that could possibly be reason to deny them the same rights.

    Unfortunately many ignorant people will likely be against giving them human rights and the new racism in the future will be against the skin color silver.
    Do you belive that the world is deterministic? I.E. your thoughts follow the rules of physics.
    MoP is awesome.

  11. #211
    Yesterday, I let a fly live. Yes, I decided that Blizz (the fly) had the right to live (ftm)

    It was just a fly... About the AI humanoids, just look at Star Wars. C3PO and R2D2 deserve respect.

  12. #212
    Herald of the Titans Wishblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Here, There and Everywhere
    Posts
    2,614
    If we ever have robots that are so advanced that they resemble humans in every way, then yeah, I say let them have rights too. Just because they're machines and we can create them doesn't mean we can treat them as such if they can feel hate or sadness. I know I'd feel bad about myself if I had a robot servant and he/she/it started crying because I was being rude or mean.

    I'd say they should have equal rights if they were that sentient and even if they didn't have said rights I'd still treat them well.
    "Reminds me of a dog, you stare at it while it's playing outside... Running around in a circle, then stopping up, wagging with a wide "grin". Jumping around until you call for the dog, then it lowers its tail because it think it's done something bad... And then you throw the ball, seeing the tail go straight into the air in bliss! ^^" - Gehco
    Wishblade of Draenor EU

  13. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    If they're fully sentient they should deserve equal rights.
    Edit: To elaborate, I think human rights should be changed to encompass sentient rights.
    This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. Whilst some may think it far-fetched, the rate at which technology has advanced within the last few decades is quickly proving that concepts such as sentient AI may not be as outlandish as some may try to claim.

  14. #214
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Are emotions required for sentience?
    Woudln't you say that? They atleast got to have some. Happyness, sadness, impathy, lust, or sorrow. If a person is to live without any of these I wouldn't call him / her a person.
    H.A.T.E.R.S. =► Having. Anger. Towards. Everyone. Reaching. Success.

  15. #215
    Quote Originally Posted by Niuxe View Post
    Woudln't you say that? They atleast got to have some. Happyness, sadness, impathy, lust, or sorrow. If a person is to live without any of these I wouldn't call him / her a person.
    I'm not sold on the idea that emotion is required for self awareness and reason, the hall marks of sentience. In my mind emotion is simply an evolutionary trait humans gained to further our success as a social creature.

    But assuming that it is for the time being, does the amount of emotion felt effect the amount of sentience?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  16. #216
    Fluffy Kitten Annoying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Socorro, NM, USA
    Posts
    3,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawwad View Post
    An AI can not be sentient in the sense a human is... (... believed to be, unless the world is deterministic)
    Even if they are capable of learning and adapting or even show feelings, none of it will be nothing but code.

    ---------- Post added 2012-05-05 at 10:57 PM ----------


    Do you belive that the world is deterministic? I.E. your thoughts follow the rules of physics.
    I develop artificial neural networks. We model them exactly after how the brain functions. Synapses, neurons, and glia are all emulated to the best of our ability. As science progresses further and we more closely model the ANNs to the human brain, we become closer to "artificial intelligence". At current, I've yet to see any emulation of motor neurons, but both sensory neurons and interneurons are pretty darn close to the real thing, in terms of functionality. Even being "nothing but code" they function the same way that our neurons and synapses function.

    As for determinism, check out Quantum indeterminacy. Quantum physics allows for non-deterministic action within the rules of physics. Schrodinger's cat and all.

    Based on those things, I think we'll get there. But whether or not we'll hold to our arrogant beliefs that we alone are sentient, that's to be determined. We don't really give sentient animals "human rights", so I don't see us giving sentient robots rights any time soon.
    CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.9GHz | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 670FTW LE 2GB (SLI) | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 MHz | Case: NZXT Switch 810 White | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro | CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 CLC | SSD: Intel 520 160GB | HDD: 3xWestern Digital Caviar Black 1TB | PSU: Antec TruePower Quattro 1200W | Displays: 3x Dell U2412M E-IPS | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 Tactile | Mouse: Razer Deathadder/Naga Epic | Car: Andromeda

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    in the year 2083, Gays will still not have the right to marry or adopt, but robots will!
    On what planet are you living? O.o
    In Denmark where I live, gays and lesbian can adopt and get married, in a chuch. In japan guys get married to anime girls. I think you're thinking of a spefic place where gays can't get married, and for a another thing that is no the same. To get married in a chuch is about the religion, if you're kristen then you know what they stand for. Don't get religion in this.
    H.A.T.E.R.S. =► Having. Anger. Towards. Everyone. Reaching. Success.

  18. #218
    Pit Lord alms1407's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Niuxe View Post
    On what planet are you living? O.o
    In Denmark where I live, gays and lesbian can adopt and get married, in a chuch. In japan guys get married to anime girls. I think you're thinking of a spefic place where gays can't get married, and for a another thing that is no the same. To get married in a chuch is about the religion, if you're kristen then you know what they stand for. Don't get religion in this.
    Well in the UK homosexuals can have a civil union but they can't get married, it's the same as in some parts of America. I think that what he might mean.

    ~Signature made by Resentful~

  19. #219
    I feel only people who stick to the law deserve human rights, Robots will stick to it and "shouldnt" if programmed correctly ever hurt anyone or anything so shouldnt need human rights in a way.. If someone broke in and the robot killed them (defending you) then its the robbers fault and it should just be forgotten.

  20. #220
    Add a mind to a machine

    now...

    Add a machine to a mind

    ....

    You see wut i did there?

    Someday we might be able to artificialy create a body to sustain a human mind, and humans will become cyborgs. I don't see how this is any different than creating an artificial intelligent. The human body is a machine itself.

    Maybe the humans are just a stepping stone to a being even greater? Maybe someday we'll create and artificial intelligence greater than ours? maybe better, that doesn't do war against each other... or the contrary :O

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •