Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
3
11
12
13
14
15
... LastLast
  1. #241
    Herald of the Titans Ynna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    What about dolphins then? They have human rights.
    Do they? Never heard of that.
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

  2. #242
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    What about dolphins then? They have human rights.
    Not in most western countries.

  3. #243
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Altruism usually only exists between species that are not intelligent or of equal intelligence or the same species. Humans are on the top of the foodchain atm, how many species do we cooperate with? An AI would benefit from us no doubt... up to a point. But when it became self sustainable why would it want us around? We would be competing with it for recources.


    Domestication isn't a partnership. We don't need cats and dogs. We like them and think they're cute but we don't need them to survive. Sheep and cows etc. we do need but we don't cooperate with them, we just need them for food and clothing. It's a oneway "symbiosis". The other side doesn't benefit from us at all. They don't get to voice their opinion about this "relationship" of ours.
    I have to point out AI means Artificial Intelligence. It doesn't need a body able to interact with the physical world. If we (I) manage to create a "human level AI" and we do not give it the means to interact with the world (which would be completely useless, we need an AI not moving metal bodies) it would
    1) make it unable to compete for resources as you see them
    2) create a sort of partnership in which we maintain their physical form intact and they think stuff for us

    And please avoid anthropocentrism such as "yeah but they would be ANGRY and would want a body LOLOLOLOL I WATCHED TOO MANY FILMS".

  4. #244
    Quote Originally Posted by Authary View Post
    I have to point out AI means Artificial Intelligence. It doesn't need a body able to interact with the physical world. If we (I) manage to create a "human level AI" and we do not give it the means to interact with the world (which would be completely useless, we need an AI not moving metal bodies) it would
    1) make it unable to compete for resources as you see them
    2) create a sort of partnership in which we maintain their physical form intact and they think stuff for us
    And what would this AI think of us if we placed such restrictions upon its existence?

    As for #2: No, this wouldn't be a partnership. It would be one party exploiting the other while giving next to nothing in return.

    And please avoid anthropocentrism such as "yeah but they would be ANGRY and would want a body LOLOLOLOL I WATCHED TOO MANY FILMS".
    ??? Arer you trying to build a straw man?

  5. #245
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    And what would this AI think of us if we placed such restrictions upon its existence?
    There is no reason that this AI would care.

    Not that I think it is a good idea for ethical reasons, but if a truly sentient AI is ever created, there is no reason that it must be able to feel.

  6. #246
    Stood in the Fire Sava's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In a place where hordes of squirrels roam free.
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    So I got to thinking, if AI ever got to a level where it could think, feel, perceive, and learn as humans do, if AI was capable of true sentience, would they then deserve human rights? Like if I could build C-3PO, would he be right in demanding that he's not treated like a second class citizen, that he gets the right to vote or the right to due process? Should these rights be denied to mechanical beings simply because they are mechanical?
    We don't even allocate the same rights to every human being at this moment. let alone other types of beings.
    Speaking for morality in economics is like fucking for virginity.

  7. #247
    At that point the development has gone way too far, so hell no!

  8. #248
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    There is no reason that this AI would care.

    Not that I think it is a good idea for ethical reasons, but if a truly sentient AI is ever created, there is no reason that it must be able to feel.
    If it was sentient it wouldn't go without saying that it couldn't gain emotions without us programming it with the ability to feel.

  9. #249
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    If it was sentient it wouldn't go without saying that it couldn't gain emotions without us programming it with the ability to feel.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say here (is "wouldn't go without saying" meant to be negative?). But an AI that is sentient doesn't necessarily need to have emotions. It's not like we would create sentient AI's through evolving them in such a way that emotions becomes an evolutionary advantage.


    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Machine life would by its very nature be significantly different from biological life. There is no reason to assume that AI will be able to feel as humans do. Organic beings have emotions and instincts because that is the way life has evolved (on this planet). We feel pleasure or fear or sadness because of our brain chemistry, and not simply because of our awareness. It does not come automatically with achieving sentience. An AI that becomes self-aware isn't going to suddenly acquire self-preservation instincts, or compassion, or murderous intents, much less a desire to vote.
    Emotions has to come from somewhere.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-05-06 at 04:06 PM.

  10. #250
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    And what would this AI think of us if we placed such restrictions upon its existence?

    As for #2: No, this wouldn't be a partnership. It would be one party exploiting the other while giving next to nothing in return.


    ??? Arer you trying to build a straw man?
    What do you think of the restrictions of your body ? Nothing. You were born with it and your intellect is based on it.

    And I'm not building a strawman, this thread is full of anthropocentrism. AI is my field and it angers me SO MUCH to see words like "feelings" in this context.

  11. #251
    Quote Originally Posted by Authary View Post
    What do you think of the restrictions of your body ? Nothing. You were born with it and your intellect is based on it.
    That's a bad analogy. I wasn't specifically designed like this by another intelligence (as far as I'm aware).

    AI is my field and it angers me SO MUCH to see words like "feelings" in this context.
    Why? If you created a sentient intelligence how can you rule out completely that it cannot gain emotions on its own?
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2012-05-06 at 04:43 PM.

  12. #252
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    That's a bad analogy. I wasn't specially designed like this by another intelligence (as far as I'm aware).
    Then why do you think the AI will be able to feel as you do, when the AI is designed - unlike you?

  13. #253
    Herald of the Titans Ynna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava View Post
    We don't even allocate the same rights to every human being at this moment. let alone other types of beings.
    I'm sure we can agree that it's wrong that not every human has the same basic rights.
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

  14. #254
    Field Marshal Bableforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cryo Stasis
    Posts
    99
    Instead of human rights I propose we give 3 laws to these robots. These laws can never be broken by the robot.

    All joking aside I think if you feel and have cognitive thought then you are human. The word 'human' is more of a state of mind. There are many homo sapiens who show that they are very inhuman, serial killers etc. Why should people like that get more rights than an AI which is essentially human?

  15. #255
    Bloodsail Admiral Shadoweye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In the box behind you
    Posts
    1,157
    No, they would not deserve any rights given to man. They are considered machines, or tools meant for certain tasks, thus the point they were created. They weren't made to think, they weren't made to have feelings, they weren't made for any other purpose other than serving and making our lives easier.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

  16. #256
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Do they? Never heard of that.
    http://www.cetaceanrights.org/

  17. #257
    Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post
    It's artificial. Not natural.

    So no.
    Every test-tube baby in the world says "hi".

    Just because something doesn't happen through nature, but through human interference, doesn't make it any less. A cloned sheep is still a sheep. A test tube baby is still a baby. A walking, talking, humanoid machine with an AI advanced enough to develop its own personality through quantum calculations is no different than a human brain making the same processes through chemistry.

    A being which is self aware, capable of feelings, and individual, is no different than a human on a sentient level.

    Alas, can't expect everyone to understand it in a world where the Ku klux klan still exists. If some people still aren't capable of accepting the right of other HUMANS to exist, what chance do AIs have?

  18. #258
    Pandaren Monk skatblast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,880
    Obviously not... there you go pretty easy question

  19. #259
    The Lightbringer CheezusCrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nuuk, Greenland
    Posts
    3,279
    Yes.

    If artificial intelligence gets to a point where they can feel, then they should get some rights so they're just not treated as the way dogs/any other household pet is.

  20. #260
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    15,021
    AI =/= human.

    Therefore AI should not have HUMAN rights.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •