Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    About AI and human. I never understood the notion that AI would want to be human. It's maybe flattering for humans, but there is no reason why a form of intelligence would want to be human.

About human rigths. It wont have human rights as we know them, as they do not originate as humans. They will have rights that are first described by humans. Later these rights will be refined by machines with AI themselves.

It doesn't need energy, it doesn't need oxygen, it doesn't need water. It's not human. So no, it shouldn't get human rights.
    Last edited by Chaochamp; 2012-05-06 at 11:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    It doesn't need energy, it doesn't need oxygen, it doesn't need water. It's not human. So no, it shouldn't get human rights.
    Pretty sure robots need energy. What if it runs on a hydrogen engine? Then it would be using hydrogen and oxygen, and the producing energy on water.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Pretty sure robots need energy. What if it runs on a hydrogen engine? Then it would be using hydrogen and oxygen, and the producing energy on water.
    Pardon my poor choice of words. I was talking about protein and sugar. Also, that is very hypothetical. Using water to run an engine =/= using water to hydrate a body.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pardon my poor choice of words. I was talking about protein and sugar. Also, that is very hypothetical. Using water to run an engine =/= using water to hydrate a body.
    And why does that make us more deserving of rights?

And why does that make us more deserving of rights?
    Because we established the rights.

Deleted
    no it doesnt we create it we do what we like with it

Deleted
    If you say no then why do you say no? Are all humans deserving of such rights on the premise they are human? What makes a human "a human"? I would hope that if an AI were created it would be treated with the dignity deserved by all active minds.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    If it's made out of metal, punching it might be a bad idea
    A sledge hammer would do just fine. And chances are, robots will likely be mostly made of plastics and polymers anyway. not metal.

---------- Post added 2012-05-06 at 07:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    from the G1 show/comics: "freedom is the right of all sentient beings" -Optimus Prime.

if it can ask for it, it deserves it.

so yes, if an A.I. can think on its own it deserves the same rights we would give our organic children.
    The Autobots are an alien race not made by humans and thus would logically have full rights...

10+ Year Old Account
    Because we established the rights.
    So your objection boils down to "you can't have them because we made them."

Simple solution don't build them to be sentient that is just a bad idea robots are for jobs we don't want basically slave labor if they were sentient . why would you build a slave able to say no. Capable but stupid is the way to go for machines.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    hell no have u seen terminator?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

So your objection boils down to "you can't have them because we made them."
    Yep. Just because a robot may think like a human doesn't mean it is a human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. Just because a robot may think like a human doesn't mean it is a human.
    Again, what makes humans special?

Again, what makes humans special?
    We just are. We're the only species to completely bend nature to our whim; harnessing electricity, faster means of transportation, being able to form many written and spoken languages...

Something created by the super-species that humans are shouldn't have the same rights that a human does because they will never be human.

10+ Year Old Account
    We just are. We're the only species to completely bend nature to our whim; harnessing electricity, faster means of transportation, being able to form many written and spoken languages...

Something created by the super-species that humans are shouldn't have the same rights that a human does because they will never be human.
    Sounds like your argument boils down to we deserve rights because we got here through evolution rather than being made by an external entity. So what about a human born via in vitro fertilization? They're a product of science artificially creating a functioning being. And you are right on one point, they would never be human. But not being human doesn't mean they would deserve to be treated like slaves on the sole reason being that they aren't human.

And before you think I'm doing test-tube humans a disservice by comparing them to robots, I think all life is just a form of organic robotics in general, so we are all "robots" per say. Not literally robots, but functionally the same.

I do have one more question. Do you object to giving rights to robots in general? Or just human rights?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes they should, they're our children. Will it happen? No.

Humans are cruel and only seek dominance. Humans will seek to enslave, exploit and corrupt them for personal gain, but heck that could be a life saver for humanity. Think about it, if the use of AI robots that look exactly like us and function exactly like us (replica sexual organs, etc), then it could give an avenue for people (...that are pretty much mental) an avenue to exploit something other than a real human. Maybe humanity will finally have some peace from killing and destroying each other. I bet even the governments of the world would allow this scenario, considering they'll be lobbied to do so by the corporations who created them, but disguise it as a moral objective.

Hopefully for us our creations wont turn on us and use us as we once used them... or maybe we'll merge with them, for example our conscious will be transferred to a replica body with ultra intelligence addons and physicals addons, making us literal gods. I hope for this.

All sentient beings should have 'human rights'.

all life is just a form of organic robotics in general
    This. And to date there is NO (0) non-religious arguments that this is not true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAjdlwnTg5w

---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 04:11 AM ----------

You probably won't be alive to see it happen, but humans are pretty limited compared to what we could create. We can't just sit 2 brains next to each other and be twice as smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Sounds like your argument boils down to we deserve rights because we got here through evolution rather than being made by an external entity. So what about a human born via in vitro fertilization? They're a product of science artificially creating a functioning being. And you are right on one point, they would never be human. But not being human doesn't mean they would deserve to be treated like slaves on the sole reason being that they aren't human.

And before you think I'm doing test-tube humans a disservice by comparing them to robots, I think all life is just a form of organic robotics in general, so we are all "robots" per say. Not literally robots, but functionally the same.

I do have one more question. Do you object to giving rights to robots in general? Or just human rights?
    I can't seem to see the connection between an entity created of bolts, fueled by electricity... and a life created of flesh and blood, fueled by energy. That's why they don't deserve human rights, because they're not human.

Now for normal rights, sure. I wouldn't mind seeing robots walking on the street or driving a car, but if there's a massive power shortage then there should be no hesitation to stop powering robots under the condition of Human Rights.