Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Yes.

If artificial intelligence gets to a point where they can feel, then they should get some rights so they're just not treated as the way dogs/any other household pet is.
    Dogs have feelings too. What is this discrimination against organic lifeforms? :<

Herald of the Titans
    ermmm the ai would have been created by humans... right?
    so the way it thinks has been created by humans too... right?
    so its program can also be changed by their creators... right?

so voting robots would be a way to influence votings to increase your standpoint... i dont see this working honestly.. people creating machines to vote for them, whats the point of voting anymore at this point? oh its the same as in the past, the one with more money(more robots) wins the vote... okay then carry on and give those ai's the right of voting ... Oo

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post

so voting robots would be a way to influence votings to increase your standpoint... i dont see this working honestly.. people creating machines to vote for them, whats the point of voting anymore at this point? oh its the same as in the past, the one with more money(more robots) wins the vote... okay then carry on and give those ai's the right of voting ... Oo
    The idea that is being discussed here is an AI which think for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post

How is that different than having children and raising them to be biased towards certain ideals, ensuring they always vote a certain way? People can be controlled and manipulated, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    How is that different than having children and raising them to be biased towards certain ideals, ensuring they always vote a certain way? People can be controlled and manipulated, too.
    At least that takes 18 years, as opposed to flooding the voting booths in one month during a current election. In 18 years chances are whatever legislation you were hoping to swing has already been established and grounded and accepted. For most small issues anyway.
    Last edited by Torethyr; 2012-05-06 at 10:08 PM.
    Torethirnyi, Blackwing's Bane - Orc Enhancement Shaman - <Conviction> of Korgath - (H) 9/13 25-man - Retired from WoW in 4.1
    Champion Torethyr Sarin - Cyborg Vengeance Juggernaut - <Conviction> of Prophecy of the Five - 10/10 Nightmare Mode - Retired

Nothing makes you hate MMOs more than having played MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    At least that takes 18 years, as opposed to flooding the voting booths in one month during a current election. In 18 years chances are whatever legislation you were hoping to swing has already been established and grounded and accepted. For most small issues anyway.
    Excuse me for a moment, I would just like to offer up a hypothetical. [I realize these aren't exactly the most valid form of proving a point, but just humor me.]

Suppose we could clone people. And not only clone a person, but make an exact replica. Same values, morals - they are virtually indistinguishable from the original. And let's say that we can not only clone a person, but mass-produce them, much like robots. At this point, would they deserve the right to vote? They certainly aren't natural, but they are human. At least, more human that the army of robot voters.

This also exemplifies my problem with the whole "they aren't natural, therefore they don't get rights" reasoning. You know what else isn't "natural?" Humans born through in vitro fertilization aren't as natural as those born through conventional means.

We also do plenty of things that aren't natural. It isn't natural to communicate using devices that are comprised of synthetic plastics and metals with people on the other side of the planet. It isn't natural to take just about any drug out there in order to cure a genetic ailment. It isn't natural to use tools like glasses to overcome our genetic shortcomings. Hell, it isn't natural to transplant organs, especially not from one living subject to another. So why does it matter that something is natural or not, when we are probably the least natural entities on this planet?

About AI and human. I never understood the notion that AI would want to be human. It's maybe flattering for humans, but there is no reason why a form of intelligence would want to be human.

About human rigths. It wont have human rights as we know them, as they do not originate as humans. They will have rights that are first described by humans. Later these rights will be refined by machines with AI themselves.

It doesn't need energy, it doesn't need oxygen, it doesn't need water. It's not human. So no, it shouldn't get human rights.
    Last edited by Chry; 2012-05-06 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    It doesn't need energy, it doesn't need oxygen, it doesn't need water. It's not human. So no, it shouldn't get human rights.
    Pretty sure robots need energy. What if it runs on a hydrogen engine? Then it would be using hydrogen and oxygen, and the producing energy on water.

Pretty sure robots need energy. What if it runs on a hydrogen engine? Then it would be using hydrogen and oxygen, and the producing energy on water.
    Pardon my poor choice of words. I was talking about protein and sugar. Also, that is very hypothetical. Using water to run an engine =/= using water to hydrate a body.

Pardon my poor choice of words. I was talking about protein and sugar. Also, that is very hypothetical. Using water to run an engine =/= using water to hydrate a body.
    And why does that make us more deserving of rights?

And why does that make us more deserving of rights?
    Because we established the rights.

no it doesnt we create it we do what we like with it
    Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

If you say no then why do you say no? Are all humans deserving of such rights on the premise they are human? What makes a human "a human"? I would hope that if an AI were created it would be treated with the dignity deserved by all active minds.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    If it's made out of metal, punching it might be a bad idea
    A sledge hammer would do just fine. And chances are, robots will likely be mostly made of plastics and polymers anyway. not metal.

---------- Post added 2012-05-06 at 07:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    from the G1 show/comics: "freedom is the right of all sentient beings" -Optimus Prime.

if it can ask for it, it deserves it.

so yes, if an A.I. can think on its own it deserves the same rights we would give our organic children.
    The Autobots are an alien race not made by humans and thus would logically have full rights...

Because we established the rights.
    So your objection boils down to "you can't have them because we made them."

Simple solution don't build them to be sentient that is just a bad idea robots are for jobs we don't want basically slave labor if they were sentient . why would you build a slave able to say no. Capable but stupid is the way to go for machines.

hell no have u seen terminator?
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

So your objection boils down to "you can't have them because we made them."
    Yep. Just because a robot may think like a human doesn't mean it is a human.

Yep. Just because a robot may think like a human doesn't mean it is a human.
    Again, what makes humans special?