Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
16
LastLast
  1. #281
    Brewmaster Chry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Again, what makes humans special?
    We just are. We're the only species to completely bend nature to our whim; harnessing electricity, faster means of transportation, being able to form many written and spoken languages...

    Something created by the super-species that humans are shouldn't have the same rights that a human does because they will never be human.

  2. #282
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    We just are. We're the only species to completely bend nature to our whim; harnessing electricity, faster means of transportation, being able to form many written and spoken languages...

    Something created by the super-species that humans are shouldn't have the same rights that a human does because they will never be human.
    Sounds like your argument boils down to we deserve rights because we got here through evolution rather than being made by an external entity. So what about a human born via in vitro fertilization? They're a product of science artificially creating a functioning being. And you are right on one point, they would never be human. But not being human doesn't mean they would deserve to be treated like slaves on the sole reason being that they aren't human.

    And before you think I'm doing test-tube humans a disservice by comparing them to robots, I think all life is just a form of organic robotics in general, so we are all "robots" per say. Not literally robots, but functionally the same.

    I do have one more question. Do you object to giving rights to robots in general? Or just human rights?

  3. #283
    Warchief Kivimetsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    A fascistic nightmare...
    Posts
    2,165
    Yes they should, they're our children. Will it happen? No.

    Humans are cruel and only seek dominance. Humans will seek to enslave, exploit and corrupt them for personal gain, but heck that could be a life saver for humanity. Think about it, if the use of AI robots that look exactly like us and function exactly like us (replica sexual organs, etc), then it could give an avenue for people (...that are pretty much mental) an avenue to exploit something other than a real human. Maybe humanity will finally have some peace from killing and destroying each other. I bet even the governments of the world would allow this scenario, considering they'll be lobbied to do so by the corporations who created them, but disguise it as a moral objective.

    Hopefully for us our creations wont turn on us and use us as we once used them... or maybe we'll merge with them, for example our conscious will be transferred to a replica body with ultra intelligence addons and physicals addons, making us literal gods. I hope for this.

  4. #284
    All sentient beings should have 'human rights'.

  5. #285
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    all life is just a form of organic robotics in general
    This. And to date there is NO (0) non-religious arguments that this is not true.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAjdlwnTg5w

    ---------- Post added 2012-05-07 at 04:11 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    We just are. We're the only species to completely bend nature to our whim; harnessing electricity, faster means of transportation, being able to form many written and spoken languages...

    Something created by the super-species that humans are shouldn't have the same rights that a human does because they will never be human.
    You probably won't be alive to see it happen, but humans are pretty limited compared to what we could create. We can't just sit 2 brains next to each other and be twice as smart.
    "Moral reason must learn how to make coercion its ally without running the risk of a Pyrrhic victory in which the ally exploits and negates the triumph."

  6. #286
    Brewmaster Chry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Sounds like your argument boils down to we deserve rights because we got here through evolution rather than being made by an external entity. So what about a human born via in vitro fertilization? They're a product of science artificially creating a functioning being. And you are right on one point, they would never be human. But not being human doesn't mean they would deserve to be treated like slaves on the sole reason being that they aren't human.

    And before you think I'm doing test-tube humans a disservice by comparing them to robots, I think all life is just a form of organic robotics in general, so we are all "robots" per say. Not literally robots, but functionally the same.

    I do have one more question. Do you object to giving rights to robots in general? Or just human rights?
    I can't seem to see the connection between an entity created of bolts, fueled by electricity... and a life created of flesh and blood, fueled by energy. That's why they don't deserve human rights, because they're not human.

    Now for normal rights, sure. I wouldn't mind seeing robots walking on the street or driving a car, but if there's a massive power shortage then there should be no hesitation to stop powering robots under the condition of Human Rights.

  7. #287
    Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    I can't seem to see the connection between an entity created of bolts, fueled by electricity... and a life created of flesh and blood, fueled by energy.
    Electricity is energy. Incidentally electricity in your brain is how you are able to think.

    Anyway I guess the problem with this debate is that we can't really agree on a definition of life. But we essentially boil down to organic robots.

  8. #288
    some answers here are quite disparaging against AI.
    If that is the case, I am not surprised if AI one day will have to fight for its rights.

  9. #289
    Quote Originally Posted by schlubbor View Post
    some answers here are quite disparaging against AI.
    If that is the case, I am not surprised if AI one day will have to fight for its rights.
    Many humans are still fighting for human rights. What makes you think any other sentient species would be different? For instance, if we get much better at genetic manipulation and are able to breed Dolphins with an average intelligence of humans, do you think they would start to be protected? Not for years if ever.

  10. #290


    If a machine advances so much it achieves sentience, I believe it should have rights.
    Your grasp of the obvious is inspiring.

  11. #291
    Herald of the Titans Ynna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Many humans are still fighting for human rights. What makes you think any other sentient species would be different? For instance, if we get much better at genetic manipulation and are able to breed Dolphins with an average intelligence of humans, do you think they would start to be protected? Not for years if ever.
    It's not about if they would. It's about if they should.
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

  12. #292
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    It's not about if they would. It's about if they should.
    There has not been a group that was not in charge that had 'equal rights' without fighting for them.

    I agree that they SHOULD, but to be realistic, it won't happen until they 'win' them against the people who wish to exploit them.

  13. #293
    Pandaren Monk Deleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In the dark. Watching. Waiting
    Posts
    1,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    I can't help but think full sentience is impossible for an AI. I don't see it happening. You can program it to mimic us but to think for itself? Hmm :/
    You need to read more on technological singularity, seeing as it is quite likely to happen during our life time.

    O.T. They will earn it whether we want it or not. Take a loot at artificial intelligence growth rate and you'll know that in few decades machines will be smarter than humans and then:

    Why does the dog wag its tail?
    Because the dog is smarter than the tail.
    If the tail were smarter, it would wag the dog.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

  14. #294
    Here's another reason why a machine shouldn't be treated exactly like humans and thus have human rights: it could be practically immortal.

  15. #295
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,204
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Here's another reason why a machine shouldn't be treated exactly like humans and thus have human rights: it could be practically immortal.
    Planned obsolescence would solve that.

  16. #296
    /batphones the 40k inquisition
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Then the [MMORPG] genre started attracting more players. These players wanted more of a "game" and less of a "world" [...]

  17. #297
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Sounds like your argument boils down to we deserve rights because we got here through evolution rather than being made by an external entity. So what about a human born via in vitro fertilization? They're a product of science artificially creating a functioning being. And you are right on one point, they would never be human. But not being human doesn't mean they would deserve to be treated like slaves on the sole reason being that they aren't human.

    And before you think I'm doing test-tube humans a disservice by comparing them to robots, I think all life is just a form of organic robotics in general, so we are all "robots" per say. Not literally robots, but functionally the same.

    I do have one more question. Do you object to giving rights to robots in general? Or just human rights?
    Why do people have such a hard-on for giving human rights to computer programs?

  18. #298
    Dreadlord Maythael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Atheist Socialist Sweden (ASS)
    Posts
    993
    Of course they should. I agree with the "Sentient Rights" idea someone posted on the first couple of pages. If you can think and feel, then you should have the same rights as anybody else. The only difference between an AI of that magnitude and a human would be the hardware material. Feels kinda like we're back in time, talking about rights for black people... as if people of black skin color were less sentient.

    A small step
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS3wMC2BpxU

  19. #299
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post
    Why do people have such a hard-on for giving human rights to computer programs?
    Because its an interesting concept. What happens if an AI advances to the point where its so sentient that its thought processes are indistinguishable from the human brain? If you make something that has the brain of a human but the body of a machine, is it human? Do you treat it like a person or like a slave? Do our organs and flesh define us as human, or are they just a vessel for our minds?

    People like to think about hypotheticals. It's how critical thinking skills develop. What's wrong with thinking?
    Torethirnyi, Blackwing's Bane - Orc Enhancement Shaman - <Conviction> of Korgath - (H) 9/13 25-man - Retired from WoW in 4.1
    Champion Torethyr Sarin - Cyborg Vengeance Juggernaut - <Conviction> of Prophecy of the Five - 10/10 Nightmare Mode - Retired

    Nothing makes you hate MMOs more than having played MMOs.

  20. #300
    Legendary! Spl4sh3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,635
    I would only believe they deserve "human" rights if they ever came to the point that they developed as humans do, as in being childs and growing up and more stuffs like that. Otherwise it is best to make "ai" rights instead. No point really trying to get something different than human to have human rights, they are just that HUMAN rights. Not "all living beings that are like human" rights.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •