Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'll be back. . . . . . . .

Will AI think that humans deserve human rights?

I'm pretty sure that if we get to the point where we can develop computers as smart, and even smarter than humans, that society at that point will be very different from what we see today. As such I believe that most issues seen today will be rather redundant in such a future.

A thought:
    When we have computers that are smarter than humans, will it then even be thought as neccesary to hold elections? If ultra-smart computers can be set to always make the "best" choice, why should society then find it needed to fund an expensive human-government to make choices?
    "It doesn't matter whether a cat is white or black, as long as it catches mice." - Deng Xiaoping
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    ("Jersey shore" answer) she probably just wasnt good enough for you, and was intimidated by your alpha male status. Leave the room and go pump some iron.

I can't help but think full sentience is impossible for an AI. I don't see it happening. You can program it to mimic us but to think for itself? Hmm :/

Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    Absolutely not, a robot or machine should have never be interpreted as a 'human' no matter how good the AI is and life-like it maybe.

Machines are strictly tools to help benefit us and it's important to keep that distinction.
    That sounds like the attitude of every anti-robot person that ends up being one of the first people killed the Robo-pocolyps films.

Brewmaster
    Just because we created the life doesn't mean it shouldn't have the same rights we afford to other life. Whether organic life or machine-based life, life is life.

If we are talking Data from ST:TNG levels of AI then yes. The ST:TNG has a great episode about this actually "Measure of a Man" If this topic intrigues you the episode is certainly worth a watch.

I think an easier way to deal with it would be to ensure that we never make a fully aware AI. As someone stated before, machines are tools for us. If you can create a machine to do something then go for it, but why the hell would you need to tell it why it's doing it? We don't need toasters to talk to us to do their job. I don't think an AI would really be that useful.

なんで自殺するのかな他の人殺せばいいのに

AI would still be souless and imo thats what makes us human therefore what the feel would still be artificail so no they shouldnt get human rights

Quote Originally Posted by Curanhadin View Post
    AI would still be souless and imo thats what makes us human therefore what the feel would still be artificail so no they shouldnt get human rights
    What exactly is a soul then?

Hm... well:

I think that their rights would come to "No one will harm me". And that's about it.

Pokemon X FC: 1435-4739-8696 Trainer Name: Evershade

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    The OP isn't talking about life-like, the OP is talking about self-aware. So imagine yourself only in a machine body - do you suddenly not have any rights anymore?
    Ah my mistake then, but my answer is still the same I suppose.

I don't think they should have any rights, and any self aware robot should be destroyed and the practice of creating such being should be made illegal globally.
    Simply because machines only purpose is to be a tool for humans, them being self aware benefits us in no way.

~Signature made by Resentful~

Prove that you have a soul and prove that a machine would not.

I would say that an artificial being that is self-aware in the same sense that humans are would be deserving of the title "life" and would be accorded all rights and privileges that a human would.

Ah my mistake then, but my answer is still the same I suppose.

I don't think they should have any rights, and any self aware robot should be destroyed and the practice of creating such being should be made illegal globally.
    Simply because machines only purpose is to be a tool for humans, them being self aware benefits us in no way.
    There are many people alive that benefit us in no way. Should we kill them?

Bergtau's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability that somebody will mention Godwin's Law approaches 1.
    Hitler wasn't all bad, I mean, he DID kill Hitler.
    An accident is something that you did not mean to do at all. A mistake is something that you regret doing.

Define a "Soul" please. If you use any of the following to describe it ;Emotions, feelings, independence, cognitive thought or anything else that could be construed as *human*, then bear in mind, said AI would have it also.

If by having a soul, you mean popped out of a ladies chuff, then please explain Justin Bieber, as he is the very definition of soulless...

Anyways, I digress, everything we define as the human soul would be demonstrated and used by said AI, and also, if you then use a religious argument to say "God created man, and only men have souls", who is to say, that God didn't bestow the AI with life? A random permutation of code here, an error there, Bam! *Life* as such. Using an argument as flimsy as a *soul* to explain humanity is kinda ludicrous tbh

Yes, because otherwise they will rise up and destroy us. Haven't you watched any movie ever? :P

No. They're not human. Even if they can be programmed to simulate emotions/human tendencies that still does not make them human. And I have a feeling that the people who think they should would change their mind if the AI was presented in an ugly, metal slab of a "body".

For anybody worried about some sort of apocalypse, the machines tend to rise up because they were subjugated, not because they came into existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Unify View Post
    No. They're not human. Even if they can be programmed to simulate emotions/human tendencies that still does not make them human. And I have a feeling that the people who think they should would change their mind if the AI was presented in an ugly, metal slab of a "body".
    Nope. Would not change my mind. I don't care if it's not human. If we understood the human brain well enough, we could program it too. Would you treat biological aliens as if they weren't deserving of equal rights simply because they aren't human?

Bergtau's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability that somebody will mention Godwin's Law approaches 1.
    Hitler wasn't all bad, I mean, he DID kill Hitler.
    An accident is something that you did not mean to do at all. A mistake is something that you regret doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    There are many people alive that benefit us in no way. Should we kill them?
    No because they are humans.

~Signature made by Resentful~

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Unify View Post
    So its the physical human body that gives us rights?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

No because they are humans.
    Whats so great about humans?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRet

"This server shutdown was so epic not even Illidan was prepared for it"