Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashe-Arathor View Post
    Have you watched Irobot recently?

Seriously though, no, AI beings, no matter the intellect level should never have human rights, because if they did, we wouldn't be able to control them and chaos on earth would break out and the zombie robot apocalypse will end us all!
    But we could get really big magnets and stop them! Think about it!

Ya know, if they're robots... and if they use certain materials....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valort View Post
    Someone has been nice to his Geth on ME3 ;P

But, to be honest, if humans were able to create actual artificial intelligence, with the ability to imitate feelings and individual personalities, then we would have no option and would have to give them rights, maybe not "human" rights, but "sentient" rights.

On the other hand, almost EVERY book, story, plot or piece of art written about us creating advanced AIs ends in war, destruction or slavery. I doubt humans would take that risk.

Sadly, you live in a world where not every human has "human rights", and where many people openly desire said rights revoked from others because of racial or religious reasons, so what chances has a highly logical computer with the ability to feel, in a world where people get murdered daily for not believing in fairies?
    This is actually a good point. If we were to develop an artificial intelligence worthy of rights, those rights are no longer those reserved humans, they're reserved for those that are our equals in intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by lzsg View Post
    I would say that the entire Mass Effect series is about organics vs. synthetics. The Quarian/Geth conflict illustrates well what happens when machines develop sapience but are still treated like slaves by their creators, though. IIRC, the entire conflict starts when Legion asks a Quarian "Does this unit have a soul?".
    Yep, and in response the Quarians attempted to do as has been suggested by others in this thread: destroy them. That worked out well for the Quarians, didn't it.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holidae View Post
    Yep, and in response the Quarians attempted to do as has been suggested by others in this thread: destroy them. That worked out well for the Quarians, didn't it.
    To be fair, that's because the Quarian military is run by idiots.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    So I got to thinking, if AI ever got to a level where it could think, feel, perceive, and learn as humans do, if AI was capable of true sentience, would they then deserve human rights? Like if I could build C-3PO, would he be right in demanding that he's not treated like a second class citizen, that he gets the right to vote or the right to due process? Should these rights be denied to mechanical beings simply because they are mechanical?
    I'd say No, because tools don't deserve rights. its like asking if a hammer or a gun deserve rights, the worst thing a human can do is give a tool the ability to think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    If it's sentient, it deserves the same rights as other sentient beings.
    there are plenty of sentient species on this planet lacking rights, including humans. Even if the AI deserve rights theres no way its gonna get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taub View Post
    there are plenty of sentient species on this planet lacking rights, including humans. Even if the AI deserve rights theres no way its gonna get it.
    Are there other creatures that have the same capabilities that humans do? That we know of, that is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Are there other creatures that have the same capabilities that humans do? That we know of, that is.
    sentient != capabilities

No, because they could never FULLY prove that they are self aware and sentient, and not programmed to seem that way. Say we had a robot president, what if someone was simply behind the scenes and programming his actions then does crazy shit once they have power? There are tons of bad reasons why they should never be giving the same rights as humans.

In fact I could go further and say we should make it Illegal to make a sentient AI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taub View Post
    sentient != capabilities
    But that's what we're talking about here. A robot that is capable of everything a human is.

Anyways, perhaps I should read the person you quoted first, my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    Well humans would have built those machines in the first place. Also many humans have accomplished so many great things.

However it's hard to say how great we are when we can't compare ourselves to anything.

You are asking me why we should not be actively killing humans who are useless? In most countries killing another human being is illegal

edit: Also any government killing it's own citizens or allowing it to happen would be condemned.

These machines would have created by us to be used as tools for us, them being self aware would be a potential threat.
    We're not talking about legality. He's asking why being an AI with real sentience should get you less rights than a human would. You replied that the answer is that Humans are Humans. He asked you why SIMPLY being human would make you untouchable and you replied that the reason is because it's illegal...That's irrelevant.

Deleted
    I dont think a robot should get them, after all its us who have made the robot. its not born in natural way. Besides the robot, even the self aware one, whats its use if people can reprogram it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warheaert View Post
    I dont think a robot should get them, after all its us who have made the robot. its not born in natural way. Besides the robot, even the self aware one, whats its use if people can reprogram it?
    There are a lot of things that humans do that aren't natural. Should we not give rights to humans born via artificial insemination because they weren't created in the normal fashion? And what's the use of humans if people can reprogram them?

For as silly this can sound, human anihilation due to AI machines in the future is one possible apocalypse, giving it more self-awareness might be a two-edged blade in the future.

If true sentient AI is ever developed (I doubt it) you would have to give them equal rights to humans. Otherwise they will feel mistreated and eventually they will start a revolution against humanity. You cannot treat sentient beings like shit, they will oppose you sooner or later. Limited "AI" like machinery that doesn't understand more deeper concepts is another story though.

Unless you believe in a god or a soul then you should absolutely think they deserve human rights as human beings are just biological machines then.

That doesn't mean a religious person would say they don't deserve human rights, it just means the "something special about us" argument is the only thing that could possibly be reason to deny them the same rights.

Unfortunately many ignorant people will likely be against giving them human rights and the new racism in the future will be against the skin color silver.
    Last edited by frogger237; 2012-05-05 at 07:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If true sentient machines where ever made they would wipe out humanity. Anny limit put on it would make themm tools. So if there would be a time where they deserve human rights they would be very much capable of achieving it without humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reluctant View Post
    If true sentient machines where ever made they would wipe out humanity. Anny limit put on it would make themm tools. So if there would be a time where they deserve human rights they would be very much capable of achieving it without humans.
    There are hard limits on humans. Does that make us tools?

Deleted
    off topic but I think the consideration to give Dolphis human rights should happen. They are at least as wise as human being, they certainly think and learn things fast and are possibly in cases even more intellect than human.
    Still they kill them in Japan etc just for nothing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    There are hard limits on humans. Does that make us tools?
    I've met many humans that were complete tools.

=3