Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    In a place where hordes of squirrels roam free.
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    So I got to thinking, if AI ever got to a level where it could think, feel, perceive, and learn as humans do, if AI was capable of true sentience, would they then deserve human rights? Like if I could build C-3PO, would he be right in demanding that he's not treated like a second class citizen, that he gets the right to vote or the right to due process? Should these rights be denied to mechanical beings simply because they are mechanical?
    We don't even allocate the same rights to every human being at this moment. let alone other types of beings.
    Speaking for morality in economics is like fucking for virginity.

Deleted
    At that point the development has gone way too far, so hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    There is no reason that this AI would care.

Not that I think it is a good idea for ethical reasons, but if a truly sentient AI is ever created, there is no reason that it must be able to feel.
    If it was sentient it wouldn't go without saying that it couldn't gain emotions without us programming it with the ability to feel.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    If it was sentient it wouldn't go without saying that it couldn't gain emotions without us programming it with the ability to feel.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say here (is "wouldn't go without saying" meant to be negative?). But an AI that is sentient doesn't necessarily need to have emotions. It's not like we would create sentient AI's through evolving them in such a way that emotions becomes an evolutionary advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Machine life would by its very nature be significantly different from biological life. There is no reason to assume that AI will be able to feel as humans do. Organic beings have emotions and instincts because that is the way life has evolved (on this planet). We feel pleasure or fear or sadness because of our brain chemistry, and not simply because of our awareness. It does not come automatically with achieving sentience. An AI that becomes self-aware isn't going to suddenly acquire self-preservation instincts, or compassion, or murderous intents, much less a desire to vote.
    Emotions has to come from somewhere.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-05-06 at 04:06 PM.

And what would this AI think of us if we placed such restrictions upon its existence?

As for #2: No, this wouldn't be a partnership. It would be one party exploiting the other while giving next to nothing in return.

??? Arer you trying to build a straw man?
    What do you think of the restrictions of your body ? Nothing. You were born with it and your intellect is based on it.

And I'm not building a strawman, this thread is full of anthropocentrism. AI is my field and it angers me SO MUCH to see words like "feelings" in this context.

Quote Originally Posted by Authary View Post
    What do you think of the restrictions of your body ? Nothing. You were born with it and your intellect is based on it.
    That's a bad analogy. I wasn't specifically designed like this by another intelligence (as far as I'm aware).

AI is my field and it angers me SO MUCH to see words like "feelings" in this context.
    Why? If you created a sentient intelligence how can you rule out completely that it cannot gain emotions on its own?
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2012-05-06 at 04:43 PM.

That's a bad analogy. I wasn't specially designed like this by another intelligence (as far as I'm aware).
    Then why do you think the AI will be able to feel as you do, when the AI is designed - unlike you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava View Post
    We don't even allocate the same rights to every human being at this moment. let alone other types of beings.
    I'm sure we can agree that it's wrong that not every human has the same basic rights.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

No, they would not deserve any rights given to man. They are considered machines, or tools meant for certain tasks, thus the point they were created. They weren't made to think, they weren't made to have feelings, they weren't made for any other purpose other than serving and making our lives easier.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Do they? Never heard of that.
    http://www.cetaceanrights.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post
    It's artificial. Not natural.

So no.
    Every test-tube baby in the world says "hi".

Just because something doesn't happen through nature, but through human interference, doesn't make it any less. A cloned sheep is still a sheep. A test tube baby is still a baby. A walking, talking, humanoid machine with an AI advanced enough to develop its own personality through quantum calculations is no different than a human brain making the same processes through chemistry.

A being which is self aware, capable of feelings, and individual, is no different than a human on a sentient level.

Alas, can't expect everyone to understand it in a world where the Ku klux klan still exists. If some people still aren't capable of accepting the right of other HUMANS to exist, what chance do AIs have?

Obviously not... there you go pretty easy question

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

If artificial intelligence gets to a point where they can feel, then they should get some rights so they're just not treated as the way dogs/any other household pet is.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    AI =/= human.

Therefore AI should not have HUMAN rights.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Yes.

If artificial intelligence gets to a point where they can feel, then they should get some rights so they're just not treated as the way dogs/any other household pet is.
    Dogs have feelings too. What is this discrimination against organic lifeforms? :<

ermmm the ai would have been created by humans... right?
    so the way it thinks has been created by humans too... right?
    so its program can also be changed by their creators... right?

so voting robots would be a way to influence votings to increase your standpoint... i dont see this working honestly.. people creating machines to vote for them, whats the point of voting anymore at this point? oh its the same as in the past, the one with more money(more robots) wins the vote... okay then carry on and give those ai's the right of voting ... Oo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post

so voting robots would be a way to influence votings to increase your standpoint... i dont see this working honestly.. people creating machines to vote for them, whats the point of voting anymore at this point? oh its the same as in the past, the one with more money(more robots) wins the vote... okay then carry on and give those ai's the right of voting ... Oo
    The idea that is being discussed here is an AI which think for itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post

How is that different than having children and raising them to be biased towards certain ideals, ensuring they always vote a certain way? People can be controlled and manipulated, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    How is that different than having children and raising them to be biased towards certain ideals, ensuring they always vote a certain way? People can be controlled and manipulated, too.
    At least that takes 18 years, as opposed to flooding the voting booths in one month during a current election. In 18 years chances are whatever legislation you were hoping to swing has already been established and grounded and accepted. For most small issues anyway.
    Last edited by Tore; 2012-05-06 at 10:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    At least that takes 18 years, as opposed to flooding the voting booths in one month during a current election. In 18 years chances are whatever legislation you were hoping to swing has already been established and grounded and accepted. For most small issues anyway.
    Excuse me for a moment, I would just like to offer up a hypothetical. [I realize these aren't exactly the most valid form of proving a point, but just humor me.]

Suppose we could clone people. And not only clone a person, but make an exact replica. Same values, morals - they are virtually indistinguishable from the original. And let's say that we can not only clone a person, but mass-produce them, much like robots. At this point, would they deserve the right to vote? They certainly aren't natural, but they are human. At least, more human that the army of robot voters.

This also exemplifies my problem with the whole "they aren't natural, therefore they don't get rights" reasoning. You know what else isn't "natural?" Humans born through in vitro fertilization aren't as natural as those born through conventional means.

We also do plenty of things that aren't natural. It isn't natural to communicate using devices that are comprised of synthetic plastics and metals with people on the other side of the planet. It isn't natural to take just about any drug out there in order to cure a genetic ailment. It isn't natural to use tools like glasses to overcome our genetic shortcomings. Hell, it isn't natural to transplant organs, especially not from one living subject to another. So why does it matter that something is natural or not, when we are probably the least natural entities on this planet?