How does joining friend's games work with quest progression?

As the title says really, I only saw the open beta so didn't pick up on this at the time,

- With the "auto-join a friend's game" feature, how does that work with regards to quest progression? If I've completed quest A & B and i'm on quest C, can my friend who has only completed A join my game?

- What about level differences? If I'm lvl 20 and on Act 3 normal mode, and my friend rolls a new lvl 1, can he/she join my game?

Curious about it, not read anything about limitations.

(I'm aware I can disable the auto-join feature, so the questions stand for me inviting my friends to play multiplayer with me - do we all need to be on the same part of the game?)

Thanks in advance

When you join another game, you get your quest completion flags set to match it - so you automatically have any quest items etc that you need, and you'll be on all the same quests as everyone else in the group.

When you leave the group and go back to solo play, your quest flags revert back to what they would normally be.

There is no limitation on level ranges for groups. I guess if you're too low level you might die a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post

There is no limitation on level ranges for groups. I guess if you're too low level you might die a lot.
    But how would the xp for the level 1 work? Wouldn't it destroy the xp for him?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iDot View Post
    Yeah, there was a statement put out saying that you can't powerlevel other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by iDot View Post
    According to what I heard on the Kripparan/Athene Tips video, I think Kripparian mentioned you do not get exp from a mob if it is over 6 levels below you, or over 3 levels above you. Or was it reduced exp only? I forget.

Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    When you leave the group and go back to solo play, your quest flags revert back to what they would normally be.
    If you complete quests with the group that are ahead of your original progression, when you go back to solo play do the quests still count as completed?

some quests have a level requirement

Deleted
    what i've seen in the beta there is a lvl range for quests ...
    if your friend plays a quest that you don't fit to (level wise) you cannot join ... though that wasn't quite the case in beta since there where only 13 levels.

Deleted
    On the beta it didn't impact so much because the skeleton king can easily be reached at level 6-7 and therefore it wasn't that much higher than new people even if level 1-2. They did say that if you're too low you won't be able to access your friends progression, so I think obviously there is going to be some issues, if you're a low level you're not going to be able to join quests in Act 3 or 4 when you're level 5.... but we don't know exactly what quests require what levels or how it works because the beta was such a small range of quests.

In the beta if you join a quest ahead of where you were in solo then yes that quest counted as completed even if you skipped some points in between.

If your friend can't join you the best thing to do is just quit your game, have them create a game at the furthest point they can, then join with them and help them catch up to you I think.