Resto Druid or Resto Shaman for MoP?

Looking to heal in PvE in MoP.

Haven't healed since WOTLK and was wondering which class looks better at the moment for PvE healing in MoP? I know it depends on play style and which class mechanics you prefer, but does anyone have any input so far from the beta?

10+ Year Old Account
    So far in beta (not actually knowing real numbers, and only mechanics and theorized playstyle), I'm really liking all the changes to Shaman. Druids, in beta - in my opinion, have not changed much from Cata. But, you said you haven't played a healer since Wrath, so both classes would be a drastic change, from your 2-3 years ago experience.
    Not to QQ, but Blizzard hasn't always been the nicest to Resto Shaman in PvE, but I truly think they are going to be quite fun in MoP, and competative. There are a ton of changes so far, that would really make me play differently on a PER BOSS basis, with my Shaman. Where as, on my druid (looking at beta) I would honestly not change glyphs or talents as much, I don't think. And, in my opinion, figuring out and playing around with different glyph/talent combos looks fun as hell, and something I'm looking forward to for all my toons, especial my Resto Shaman.

Thing is, all my assumptions are from an ever changing beta... keep in mind.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    So far in beta (not actually knowing real numbers, and only mechanics and theorized playstyle), I'm really liking all the changes to Shaman. Druids, in beta - in my opinion, have not changed much from Cata. But, you said you haven't played a healer since Wrath, so both classes would be a drastic change, from your 2-3 years ago experience.
    Not to QQ, but Blizzard hasn't always been the nicest to Resto Shaman in PvE, but I truly think they are going to be quite fun in MoP, and competative. There are a ton of changes so far, that would really make me play differently on a PER BOSS basis, with my Shaman. Where as, on my druid (looking at beta) I would honestly not change glyphs or talents as much, I don't think. And, in my opinion, figuring out and playing around with different glyph/talent combos looks fun as hell, and something I'm looking forward to for all my toons, especial my Resto Shaman.

Thing is, all my assumptions are from an ever changing beta... keep in mind.
    Are any of your toons, (druid/shaman) having any mana issues?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoke View Post
    Are any of your toons, (druid/shaman) having any mana issues?
    My Druid has far less actual mana issue, but I'm only doing heroic on my Shaman. Thing is, Shamans have Telleric Currents, so the mana issues I think I'm having are only because Shamans have the most active regen, out of all 5 of the healing specs. So, in the end, neither have too bad of a time with mana, but I feel as if Druids are a bit easier in that way.

But, that's only currently, who KNOWS what it will be like in MoP.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    My Druid has far less actual mana issue, but I'm only doing heroic on my Shaman. Thing is, Shamans have Telleric Currents, so the mana issues I think I'm having are only because Shamans have the most active regen, out of all 5 of the healing specs. So, in the end, neither have too bad of a time with mana, but I feel as if Druids are a bit easier in that way.

But, that's only currently, who KNOWS what it will be like in MoP.
    Gah, such a hard decision! Not sure which to level. I'm planning on leveling my Holy Pala for sure, he's 60 now. I also have a 54 druid I can level, and a 37 shaman. I'm just stuck which to level for PvE Healing.

Deleted
    Out of the two, I would recommend the Druid. At this stage of the Beta it's hard to gather any solid information from it. I say the Druid because of the other role possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalv View Post
    Out of the two, I would recommend the Druid. At this stage of the Beta it's hard to gather any solid information from it. I say the Druid because of the other role possibilities.
    Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Tanking/Melee DPS with the druid, so those would be out of the question. I'd rather just play my rogue or pala if I wanted to tank/melee DPS instead of the druid. Balance is alright, but I'm mainly going for Resto.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoke View Post
    Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Tanking/Melee DPS with the druid, so those would be out of the question. I'd rather just play my rogue or pala if I wanted to tank/melee DPS instead of the druid. Balance is alright, but I'm mainly going for Resto.
    Forgetting the main spec, and choosing solely for the off-spec capabilities (yeah, I know, that would be weird) I would go Druid. Even as a Shaman, I think Balance is cooler, and it surely brings more utility... even is MoP it would seem, but maybe that factor will level out, who knows.

But, it seems like you just need to pick which playstyle you enjoy the most.

playstyle ALONE...

25: Shaman
    10: Druid, imo

Anyone have any more input?

I play both on live, and i've played both on beta.

It's a pretty tough call. I've always loved the shammy's mastery, I feel it's the best and most powerful of all the healing masteries. They get so many cool new toys to play with, including their own version of tranquility which they can actually pop twice in a row thanks to another talent that resets their totem cooldowns. The water ascendant form is basically the green buff from ultraxion and very powerful.

One of the worst parts of being a shammy healer on live is the water shield maintenance and having to recast it constantly, but in mists that is solved because the mana shield no longer loses charges when you get hit.

Healing rain coupled with earthliving weapon procs from it blows wild growth out of the water for aoe heals. That's before chain heal even comes into the picture, not to mention the new water ascendant form and double tranqs in a row effectively. Shammies blow AOE heals out of the water.

As for a druid, one of the most annoying things about druid healing on live is stack lifebloom 3 times on one tank, then when theres a tank swap, you either restack lifebloom 3 times or you don't, which hurts your healing output overall because your healing output (and mana regen) is balanced around it being up 100% of the time. However this issue has always been solved on beta as there is a glyph that transfers all 3 stacks to any new target you throw lifebloom on alleviating that irritation.

You also get perma tree form again, which is a plus. And if you don't like the long CD nature of the cooldown super-tree form, you can spec into summoning treats and all 3 will just spam heals on whoever needs it in your raid. IIRC, they last like 15 sec and are down to a 1 minute cooldown, so it's pretty spammy and very nice.

Druids can also get wild charge as a talent, which lets them instantly jump to someone (like reverse life grip) to very easily get out of any kind of badness on the ground.

I'm personally going to be playing a druid as a main in MOP but it's for more reasons than just healing. I like the instant cast nature of flight form as it makes farming things much faster, those seconds add up quick. You also have stealth when you want or need it. You are more resilient and tanky by going in bear. You can also spec into Heart of the Wild to fill additional roles outside of healing on a temporary basis. This could come in handy in many situations or you could spec into Nature's Vigil to have yet another big healing bonus cooldown. Plus symbiosis is very cool and useful. Not to mention the best battle res in the game. In some fights you can drop into cat form to pop Dash or Stampeding roar and it can be very helpful.

Druids are just a swiss army knife of useful situational tools. They aren't all useful at all times, but theres at least one trick up your sleeve on any given fight. I just hope they increase their AOE heal potential, tired of unjustified nerfs in that respect.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Deleted
    Druid without a doubt man.Shaman's simply suck compering to a Druid..Drop a healing rain which covers the whole room and that's it,ah sorry you have to drop also a spirit link when it's needed.So i would highly recommend playing a Druid..PERMANENT tree form again + Mushrooms which are now healing+ Treats +Barksin which is now castable on everyone etc.Plus having the option to have 4 specs in 1 char.End of story.Druids were far better than shamans in both FL and DS,even though they were the ONLY healing class which undergo a huge nerf.So the last fact should answer your question.
    Also to the poster saying that the druids won't have to change glyphs/talents according to the fight and shamans will,correct me if im wrong,but who the fuck likes to do that?If you are a casual player and u intend to complete everything in 6 months yeah it's fine i guess.But who can possibly find it an advantage to have the raid waiting for u to re fix glyphs,talents etc?
    Last edited by mmoce73301f456; 2012-05-12 at 10:39 PM.