Page 1 of 11
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Reasons why vanilla World of Warcraft was so popular.

    Most of the people don't know how the intial success of World of Warcraft did happen. I would like to mention some points why the game did become so popular. Feel free to add more or discuss.

    1) Warcraft 3 - most of the new players don't know what Warcraft 3 was or they knew, but they have never played it. Warcraft 3 was one of the greatest strategy games of all times and without doubt it was the best strategy game of its era. This game was revolutionary in every aspect, it had great graphics, gameplay, amazing music and sounds, great map editor and let's not forget the great story it had. I can say that the majority of vanilla WoW players(me included) played a lot of Warcraft 3. We all wanted to visit great places from game, explore them, do the quests and do it with your friends or even other random people. I can't even describe how if felt when I visited Ashenvale or Barrens - it was beyond amazing.

    btw there was bonus campaing in Warcraft 3, where you played as Rexxar and did quests given to you by NPCs, while you were gaining levels and items. Does it sound familiar?

    2) Leveling - people tend to hate on vanilla WoW leveling, but I have to disagree with them. Yes, leveling was tought, but we loved it. Mobs had high hp pools and were hiting for a lot, pulling more than two will most likely result into corpse run. You had to actually use your brain, develop a strategy and use all your class abilities effectivelly to level up quickly. Even AH was very important for quick leveling. Quests were very simple, but most of the time you felt like part of the world and you even felt like you are helping npcs - like in real RPG

    3) Social aspect - As I mentioned, leveling was pretty hard and the best way to make it easier was to group up with other players. I like how friendly people during vanilla WoW were. You could just talk to random person and 95% of time he would respond in friendly way. I've mad countless friends in vanilla.

    4) No addons - yep, there were almost no addons and it was great. You don't know where the quest mobs are? Ask friends, guild or even general chat. Try to do this in WotLK or Cata, you would get typical "google it, use wowhead" answer. Addons are taking the fun factor out of the game. Why are people using addon to help them with rotation or addons like DBM? That's just silly.

    5) RPG aspect - Why am I mentioning this? Back in a day... No, seriously. Back in a day you had to carefully choose your class and stick with it. There were no alts, only some people who played a lot could afford this luxury. Your character was part of you, you were part of your character. It was great, because this game is RPG after all and not just some Dota or LoL game.

    Why am I writing this? I just want to tell people that WoW wasn't always only about raiding, arena and daily quests. It was far more. Game had soul, it felts like RPG and leveling was important and possibly the best part of the game. The true mmorpg.
    Last edited by Poppey; 2012-05-05 at 01:49 PM.

  2. #2
    Legendary! Treelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,748
    Rose tinted goggles is what makes Vanilla popular. You're new to an amazing game where everything makes you literally go "Woaaaaaah...", you can't have that more than once.

    Looking back at it, Vanilla was actually pretty bad. The community was good though, because it was required.


    >> That's my personal view, btw. Not for anyone else.
    Last edited by Treelife; 2012-05-05 at 01:54 PM.

  3. #3
    Just move on with something else...
    WoW is over for me, i just wait silently until the next revolution comes out.

  4. #4
    Vanilla was popular because of the timing of when it was released and because it toned down on the grind compared to other games at the time.

    So yeah, WoW is king because it was "first" and because it was "easymode".

  5. #5
    Reasons why vanilla World of Warcraft was so popular:
    It was new.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Rose tinted goggles is what makes Vanilla popular. You're new to an amazing game where everything makes you literally go "Woaaaaaah...", you can't have that more than once.

    Looking back at it, Vanilla was actually pretty bad. The community was good though, because it was required.
    That "Woooah..." feeling is gone for everyone who had it. If you're waiting for the next game that will give you that feeling, you'll be waiting 'till you die. It's like sex - that first "So THIS is what I've been waiting for!" feeling never comes back no matter how many partners you have. Sure, there'll be good times again - but you can only have your "first time" the first time :P

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Toinouze View Post
    Just move on with something else...
    WoW is over for me, i just wait silently until the next revolution comes out.
    You're clearly silent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion View Post
    The loss of the ability to pass on loot is the loss of the ability to choose. This is communism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevra View Post
    It's a #$^&*@ fantasy game. You're a blue space goat riding around on flying serpents killing dragons the size of continents. And you're wondering why a gryphon doesn't look like an eagle?

  8. #8
    I am Murloc! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,941
    Oh man I just stumbled into a thread full of psychics and clairvoyants! Please give us your infinite wisdom oh great ones!

    Yeah so anyway, vanilla wasnt just good because of the fact its "new" ive played a million new mmos and I didnt think they were amazing because of that, infact some of them I even hated. WoW had special qualities to it and im not gona bother going into detail because the OP more or less summed it up for me.

    So please put away your crystal balls and mind reading skills so that I can read a post that isnt filled with total rubbish for once, if the phrase "rose tinted goggles" comes up once more ill just have to assume you started wow during cata because that stupid phrase is overused and rarely even used for the correct situation.

  9. #9
    I still play Warcraft 1-3 during maintenance unless I'm on the beta lol. Loved those games, but I didn't play vanilla, well I did but in spurts, I didn't actually really play it til WoTLK for some reason =/. I think my highest level was 50 or so on a account I have no idea where it's at now. Fast forward to today and about 20+ accounts and here I am XD.

    About the addons though, I still wonder how people can use the default UI. I'm not talking about addons that help with quests, etc, just the basic look and feel of it. It's laid out so damn weird it's not even funny, at least it's weird to me. I like my information in the center of my screen and ONLY the bare essentials. I hate looking around the top edges of my screen for crap =/.

  10. #10
    Very agree, especially on points 2 and 5. Nowadays you can produce lv85 alts like some factory, they partially make up for lack of things to do on mains though. Some people called this expansion as Altaclysm for a reason.

  11. #11
    You say WoW used to be more about the leveling and less about raids and arenas, which sounds absolutely horrible in my opinion, I play WoW for two reaons: I enjoy the raid content and I am a sucker for useless internet badges known as achievements. But then again that is just my one opinion among many others

  12. #12
    Herald of the Titans Santti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,760
    I disagree on pretty much all the points. Levelling was okay, as I hadn't done it 5234626th time already. There were dicks back in vanilla, just like there are now. There is just more people playing wow, hence there are more dicks too, and they tend to be vocal, too. No addons? Are you kidding me? There were plenty in vanilla. Remember decursive, that cleansed everything for you? It was almost botting, it was that good. And a requirement!

    Not touching your first point, as it's rather dumb.

    I don't understand your last point. What do you mean people couldn't afford alts? I had many, and so did everyone else and their mother. Alts that raided and PvP'd.

    Oh, and DBM existed and was used in vanilla, too. I used it. Did you even play vanilla?
    Last edited by Santti; 2012-05-05 at 02:19 PM.

  13. #13
    Legendary! Treelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasher View Post
    That "Woooah..." feeling is gone for everyone who had it. If you're waiting for the next game that will give you that feeling, you'll be waiting 'till you die. It's like sex - that first "So THIS is what I've been waiting for!" feeling never comes back no matter how many partners you have. Sure, there'll be good times again - but you can only have your "first time" the first time :P
    Oh, I know that - I don't plan on stopping playing WoW at all either.

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer Tekkommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,011
    Vanilla was amazing because it was new basically, with a huge world to explore.

    Although the game has improved with many new cool features, there is nothing wrong with thinking back to how much you enjoyed the game back then. Ignore the rose tinted glasses people.

  15. #15
    Vanilla was better. Every class was unique and had unique buffs/debuffs. The items were more fun with funny proccs and effects not only stats. You actually met other people and had to walk to instances. No teleporting around. It's not nostalgia. There are some who play on specific vanilla servers and guess what: They all played retail to some point and still find vanilla was way better. Nowadays every class can do the same shit buffs/debuffs with just other names, it's so innovative (irony in last sentence)

  16. #16
    Legendary! Treelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Fmr View Post
    Vanilla was better. Every class was unique and had unique buffs/debuffs. The items were more fun with funny proccs and effects not only stats. You actually met other people and had to walk to instances. No teleporting around. It's not nostalgia. There are some who play on specific vanilla servers and guess what: They all played retail to some point and still find vanilla was way better. Nowadays every class can do the same shit buffs/debuffs with just other names, it's so innovative (irony in last sentence)
    It's also a lot more balanced, you don't have to class stack (outside of pre-nerf Spine HC >.>)

  17. #17
    Legendary! TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,208
    It was new, nothing else. The game itself was a lot worse and was generally just a grind. Will agree with the community being better though, but same as before that was just because the game was new and no one knew what to do so everyone wanted to listen to what everyone else had to say and hopefully learn something.

  18. #18
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twitch & Youtube
    Posts
    18,186
    1. WoW was easier than Everquest.

    2. WoW was liked by the media, Evercrack wasn't.
    Unsubscribed as of 03/10/2014.

    If you dislike where WoW is headed in your mind, quit. Really. Sitting around complaining about "promises" that may or may not have been made isn't doing anything to help your cause. It's just making you look more and more like the constantly complaining and perpetually offended.

  19. #19
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasher View Post
    That "Woooah..." feeling is gone for everyone who had it. If you're waiting for the next game that will give you that feeling, you'll be waiting 'till you die. It's like sex - that first "So THIS is what I've been waiting for!" feeling never comes back no matter how many partners you have. Sure, there'll be good times again - but you can only have your "first time" the first time :P
    Thank god I still have sex to look forward to then!

    Signature done by Eis

  20. #20
    It's a personal opinion. Don't say it was only "nostalgia". Some people may find it now better, some not. All people I know from wow say vanilla was better. I also know a few who started playing after vanilla and they regret starting after the expansions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •