Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    I am not a lawyer, but I think that saying "it's illegal" is overly simplistic.

As l understand it, playing on or hosting a private server is certainly a violation of Blizzard's Terms of Service and End-User License Agreement. But just because a corporation writes usage rules regarding their game does not mean those rules are law. (At least not yet.) Profiting from running a private server is certainly illegal in the United States. To the best of my (and Wikipedia's) knowledge, there has yet to be an actual judgment involving a non-profit game server emulator. (Blizzard Entertainment v. Alyson Reeves involved a for-profit server and the defendant didn't even bother to show up to court.) Of course, anyone who manages to be perceived as threatening the profits Activision-Blizzard can probably look forward to being buried under a multi-million dollar avalanche of lawyers and lawsuits regardless of any relevant legal technicalities. And it also should be obvious that the ToS and EULA do allow Blizzard to pretty much do whatever they want with your account, especially if you have violated them.
    Agreed. Though why this was brought up, was on the basis of "morality". Which I think is complete bullshit. How much money has blizzard made on WoW alone? It would be a completely different issue if they were a small company (as if that would make sense). Main point though, vanilla servers aren't their Cata retail, so that would be a detail to really discuss about legal issues. *sigh* *edit* Why I say this, is because of the matter of stealing costumers. It's technically not the same game, so this is why I say this.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttymuffins View Post
    I have to agree, the lore was more together in BC, but the order of BC and Wrath technically isn't correct. Which is where they really screwed up. The lore is kind of all over the place and even made up sometimes it seems.
    -I think they tried to take Cata back into Vanilla story a bit, but if you include the story of the dragon flights, it's more related to WotLK than anything because that is where they're mostly introduced. Though I see your point because of the medieval/dark age type of storyline of Vanilla...Warriors, knights, dragons, and such.
    BC and Wrath are kind of parallel story arcs. At the end of TFT the story goes two ways, Illidan Vashj and Kaelthas in Outland and the Lich King in Northrend. If there was a WC4 2 of the original campaigns would have dealt with these story lines and youd probably have another orc/night elf centered campaign. Then there would have been an expansion to either tie up new stories or introduce new ones to lead into WC5.

I think you first see the dragon flight leaders in Wrath but they were created in Vanilla, Brood of Nozdormu, ect. Plus you go back to fighting some of the same bosses in Cata(different mechanics but same bosses), Ragnaros, Nefarian, Onyxia. BWL type raid, MC type raid. The same way vanilla was a placeholder to flesh out Warcraft and get things right before continuing the story, cata was a placeholder to revamp the early zones and prepare for upcoming expansions.

I don't know but nuttymuffins is hawt.. This coming from an avid "Hello Kitty: Island Adventure" player!

Quote Originally Posted by Ickythump View Post
    I don't know but nuttymuffins is hawt.. This coming from an avid "Hello Kitty: Island Adventure" player!
    Lmao :P You're too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    if the phrase "rose tinted goggles" comes up once more ill just have to assume you started wow during cata because that stupid phrase is overused and rarely even used for the correct situation.
    sound reasoning

15+ Year Old Account
    You know why classic was popular? It was more casual than any other MMO on the market

No penalty for death? ZOMG THIS GAME IS FOR NOOBZZZ
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Deleted
    It was new, people like new things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppey View Post
    2) Leveling - people tend to hate on vanilla WoW leveling, but I have to disagree with them. Yes, leveling was tought, but we loved it. Mobs had high hp pools and were hiting for a lot, pulling more than two will most likely result into corpse run. You had to actually use your brain, develop a strategy and use all your class abilities effectivelly to level up quickly. Even AH was very important for quick leveling. Quests were very simple, but most of the time you felt like part of the world and you even felt like you are helping npcs - like in real RPG
    Use your class abilities. You mean like the mess a paladin had to do to even play?

Glad I missed vanilla and TBC...

Agh!
    Last edited by Kevyne-Shandris; 2012-05-10 at 01:46 AM.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

I don't think Original WoW WAS popular at all. It was so rare that like 3 people in my entire battalion played (and we all became best friends)... by Wrath of the Lich King you couldn't even walk through the barracks without seeing a good 50% of the population playing the game.

Deleted
    Actually, if people behaved just as they used to back in vanilla times, the game would be still as enjoyable as it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Carancho View Post
    Actually, if people behaved just as they used to back in vanilla times, the game would be still as enjoyable as it used to be.
    Hell no!

If I was doing banking in Darnassus mounted, I would have immediately 5+ beggars around me asking for gold. The amount of lazy assholes in vanilla was far bigger than the amount of impatient assholes today.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Real Reasons vanilla was so popular:

The only alternatives were older, crappier MMOs and the new Everquest 2 which just came out at around the same time. Warcraft and Blizzard in general had a big fanbase already from their previous games, especially Warcraft 3, Diablo 2, and Starcraft, so they had an instant and huge playerbase for their new MMO.

With WOW's new method of "level by doing millions of quests" instead of mindlessly grinding mobs over and over like Everquest (and subsequently everquest 2) it became more popular and continued to grow. Until WOW came along, all leveling in games was really grindy and slow and people hated it, despite what they say now when they look back on it and complain how easy it is for casuals to get powerful now.
    Last edited by Dasani; 2012-05-10 at 07:01 PM.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Didn't vanilla have the least amount of players, not making it so popular in comparison to other expansions? Or is the whole thread based on how WoW was popular compared to other games? (Cba reading on phone).

I'm going to present an alternative theory.. everyone was playing it. I only started playing because I knew other people who were playing it. I'd never touched a warcraft game, didn't know about addons, didn't care for RPG, didn't know anything about the level system and the social aspect wasn't a big deal either.

Word of mouth is very powerful tool, especially when your friends are telling you to go buy a game. Will we ever get that same tidal wave again? Perhaps not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    I don't think Original WoW WAS popular at all. It was so rare that like 3 people in my entire battalion played (and we all became best friends)... by Wrath of the Lich King you couldn't even walk through the barracks without seeing a good 50% of the population playing the game.
    Vanilla went from 0 to 8million. TBC added about 3m. Since then WoW has been in more or less a holding pattern, peaking at 12m and currently just above 10m. So, you tell me, which was better - the original game and xpac that grew the user base to where it is now or the xpacs that have more ore less just maintained those levels? You can make arguments that you liked the playstyle of one or the other better and that's fine, but if you're using subscriber growth as a metric for success neither Wrath nor Cata are as 'good' as Vanilla or TBC.

I know a lot of people who started playing late in the original game merely because of the Southpark episode.

1) Warcraft 3 - most of the new players don't know what Warcraft 3 was or they knew, but they have never played it. Warcraft 3 was one of the greatest strategy games of all times and without doubt it was the best strategy game of its era. This game was revolutionary in every aspect, it had great graphics, gameplay, amazing music and sounds, great map editor and let's not forget the great story it had. I can say that the majority of vanilla WoW players(me included) played a lot of Warcraft 3. We all wanted to visit great places from game, explore them, do the quests and do it with your friends or even other random people. I can't even describe how if felt when I visited Ashenvale or Barrens - it was beyond amazing.
    Certainly there was a sort of shared sense of knowledge from the vast number of WoW players who were avid fans of Warcraft as an RTS franchise... but this argument is rather petty and amounts to a Hipster-style comment of liking something before it became mainstream don't you think? It's like criticizing people for enjoying a remake of a classical film without having first enjoyed the original, or perhaps more apt to suggest that their enjoyment is somehow 'less'.

2) Leveling - people tend to hate on vanilla WoW leveling, but I have to disagree with them. Yes, leveling was tought, but we loved it. Mobs had high hp pools and were hiting for a lot, pulling more than two will most likely result into corpse run. You had to actually use your brain, develop a strategy and use all your class abilities effectivelly to level up quickly. Even AH was very important for quick leveling. Quests were very simple, but most of the time you felt like part of the world and you even felt like you are helping npcs - like in real RPG

Social aspect - As I mentioned, leveling was pretty hard and the best way to make it easier was to group up with other players. I like how friendly people during vanilla WoW were. You could just talk to random person and 95% of time he would respond in friendly way. I've mad countless friends in vanilla.
    Judging from the changes Blizzard has made I would have to assume that your experience here is far from the majority. I remember leveling a Warlock during Vanilla and while I certainly enjoyed it leveling was DIFFICULT. Even with a pet. Not difficult 'oh that was a challenge but I feel good now that I've succeeded' but difficult in the "Why is this other class just rolling through these mobs when one of them nearly kills me'.

People forget how terribly imbalanced classes were during Vanilla. The level of ease various classes and specs had throughout the leveling process was greatly varied. People also seem to think that back in Vanilla players were just happy rainbows of joy waiting on their tiptoes to help the wayward citizen of Azeroth through difficult times.

Sure that happens; but you know what else happens? People telling you to look it up on ThottBot (Because back then TB was where it was all at). People calling you ignorant for not knowing simple commands. People giving you completely inaccurate information just for laughs. Sound familiar? It should... people more or less do the same thing today.

4) No addons - yep, there were almost no addons and it was great. You don't know where the quest mobs are? Ask friends, guild or even general chat. Try to do this in WotLK or Cata, you would get typical "google it, use wowhead" answer. Addons are taking the fun factor out of the game. Why are people using addon to help them with rotation or addons like DBM? That's just silly.
    Yeah I don't remember using CT_RA at all duri..... wait a minute! Seriously during Vanilla we had some of the most OP addons ever. CT_RAs healing monitor cherry-picked the lowest health player in the raid and put them at the top of your list so you literally just clicked the top bar and laughed your way to victory.

My favorite old addon was AutoTravel. You could setup waypoints across the world map and set your toon to walk from one point to another. I had points setup to allow me to travel from Booty Bay all the way to EPL without running into a mob. Meanwhile I could go make myself a snack.

5) RPG aspect - Why am I mentioning this? Back in a day... No, seriously. Back in a day you had to carefully choose your class and stick with it. There were no alts, only some people who played a lot could afford this luxury. Your character was part of you, you were part of your character. It was great, because this game is RPG after all and not just some Dota or LoL game.
    There have always been alts. Just because you didn't experience it doesn't make it not true. There was also the inconvenience of being locked into one spec at a time which resulted in significant delays if for whatever reason someone needed to change.

Deleted
    One of the biggest reasons why Vanilla was so popular was because it was much easier to meet people on a regular basis on your own server.

There was no group, raid finder or cross server battlegrounds. You felt much more of a community. Now its people sticking to their own guilds or soloing. The whole point of a mmo is to interact with other people especially I feel, within your own server. This new version of warcraft makes it much less easier to have that feeling of a community. You concentrated on mainly one class that you would spend time on since it would take longer to get rep and such - as a result of being tougher and having to spend more time on something. It made it feel like an achievement, before achievements were created because those achievements you get now are not achievements at all, they are merely a checklist.

You actually had to make the journey across the lands to gain entry into a dungeon. Sometimes you collided with the opposite faction and this created something you do not see anymore at all. World PVP in a normal questing zone. Now you see people from other servers while questing?!!!

I see that people have mentioned addons. Yes there were addons but you could play the game without having to rely on them. These days it seems you have to have them. If you needed help on a quest you could stop and ask people around you instead of the game doing it for you.

I would say that all of the people who have stated that it was just because the game is new missed out on that real MMO side to wow. The part where your main char was around more, because you spent alot of time on it and created friendships as a result.

This new wow, isn't socially friendly at all, in fact it is quite the opposite. People using bots in BG's pretty much sums it up for you - You aren't actually doing anything in the game yourself, its all assisted.

So OP I agree on your points and what you were trying to get at. "There aint no school like the old school "

Infracted: Thread Necro from May, 2012 - ML
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-01-11 at 02:00 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow was popular to begin with because Warcraft was popular. It spread due to the advertising blizzard used, and most likely also to some extend word of mouth. But the adds with different known people and "I play x class" most likely had the biggest impact.

After that you could probably also add the rising popularity of the mmo genre (or might be wrong and its just my pov).
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

WoW was so popular starting out because they took the then rising MMO genre and simplified it so that even casual players could experience the majority of the game.