Poll: How motivated will you be by the "cosmetic progression system"?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    GW1 seemed to have done just fine.

Anyway, it's up to the individual person on what they want. I love the pick up and play aspect of GW and Guild Wars 2. I've grown away from the treadmill games, just not appealing to me anymore.
    Yea more and more while i miss the "good ol' days" I just find myself not enjoying the grind anymore maybe its me getting older and maturing out of that style of game but I welcome the new end game of gw2 with open arms...finally a gear and comp balanced pvp game ( whether the classes will be balanced is up for review upon release, and yes im well aware that its impossible to balance perfectly but im sure they can get it quite close ish ). takes the grind out of questing, can test new characters from level 1 aka can pvp and get boosted to max with gear and skills to test out new professions.

And from the extensive research of PvE there will still be competitive pve kills to chase and content to clear through...in the form of explorable mode dungeons and elite DE's...

on a side note i can't believe there hasn't been a 300 sparta spoof of Gw2 fans!!! What is your PROFESSSIOOONN!!!!! AAARRRWOOOOOOO lol.

And from the extensive research of PvE there will still be competitive pve kills to chase and content to clear through...in the form of explorable mode dungeons and elite DE's...
    Doubtful this will happen. Just as it was minor in GW1.

This is simply not the environment for prestige PVE.

That's fine with me. Not every game has to be like that. Although I do hope they put in some dungeons that are like the challenge missions from GW. I had fun with those.

Does make me a little sad that their "lack of a gear grind" is really just "grind for dress up gear"

Pretty fucking stupid....

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    That's fine with me. Not every game has to be like that. Although I do hope they put in some dungeons that are like the challenge missions from GW. I had fun with those.
    Totally. Quite fun. I quite enjoyed Ugoz speed runs. SoDD ~40 min clears back in the day. Much fun was had.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    Does make me a little sad that their "lack of a gear grind" is really just "grind for dress up gear"
    ... and people don't do this already in other MMOs. Essentially having two gear grinds- actual and cosmetic?

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post

Pretty fucking stupid....
    Cosmetic gear = optional.
    They aren't forcing you to run it to stay relevant, but the option is there.
    I don't.. I don't understand how that's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    Over the BWE, I got 5% of the map completed. So yeah, I'm a little worried that I may not have too much to do (apart from DE's) PvE-wise once I've done a lot. I'm curious as to their achievement system - achieves kept me in WoW for a long time. It gives you things to aim for.

Just want to make a note here: the world completion thing doesn't count DEs.

---------- Post added 2012-05-06 at 06:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Doubtful this will happen. Just as it was minor in GW1.

This is simply not the environment for prestige PVE.
    I believe they will make a form of prestige one way or the other, but it won't be competetive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in for the long haul, but you or someone else may not be.

People are different. But do note: GW2 IS NOT WOW, NOR IS IT SWTOR, NOR LIKE ANY MMO WE'VE SEEN BEFORE. I don't think people read that enough anymore. You don't need big numbers to be the most awesome player on XXX server anymore.

One MMO is not like the others! :P

10+ Year Old Account
    we should really not call it a cosmetic progression system

because thats not it AT ALL

you're just shooting yourself in the foot
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    we should really not call it a cosmetic progression system

because thats not it AT ALL
    True.

It's really more like gear caps out at ILevel 255, but there are multiple 255 sets with differing stat weights per armor type. Like EQ or Rift.

10+ Year Old Account
    True.

It's really more like gear caps out at ILevel 255, but there are multiple 255 sets with differing stat weights per armor type. Like EQ or Rift.
    its not even that :|

its pretty much "grats on level 80, get the gear you need to use each of your builds well and have at it"
    The Original Ganksta

It is based on what I saw. Gear was relatively the same power level only weighted differently. It was even written as such in the tooltips; Vit Pow Tou, Tou Vit Pow, etc.

Which vendors and sets did you spy which had differing power levels?

its pretty much "grats on level 80, get the gear you need to use each of your builds well and have at it"
    Which is exactly as I explained. -_-
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-05-06 at 05:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is based on what I saw. Gear was relatively the same power level only weighted differently. It was even written as such in the tooltips; Vit Pow Tou, Tou Vit Pow, etc.

Which vendors and sets did you spy which had differing power levels?

Which is exactly as I explained. -_-
    what you said implies you'd be hunting for sidegrades

realistically you'll just buy every set you need once you hit 80

thief:

heres my condition set, my power/crit set, my healing set, and my vit set kay good to go
    The Original Ganksta

realistically you'll just buy every set you need once you hit 80
    I didn't imply sidegrades- if I did it was unintentional. L80 gear is the same power level [iLevel 80 if you will], stats are weighted differently on some pieces. How you come to them is not really important to that point.

thief:

heres my condition set, my power/crit set, my healing set, and my vit set kay good to go
    That's exactly how gear is treated in Rift/EQ. I have a Str set, a End set, a SP set, etc.

Yea, I was pretty spot on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't imply sidegrades- if I did it was unintentional. L80 gear is the same power level [iLevel 80 if you will], stats are weighted differently on some pieces. How you come to them is not really important to that point.

That's exactly how gear is treated in Rift/EQ. I have a Str set, a End set, a SP set, etc.

Yea, I was pretty spot on.
    i know they're the same power
    The Original Ganksta

So do I.

Not sure what is tickling you here with how I worded it above. Stat weights are exactly that; a Vit set, a Pow set, etc.

To say;
    its not even that :|
    Is kinda not correct. It is that.

10+ Year Old Account
    So do I.

Not sure what is tickling you here with how I worded it above. Stat weights are exactly that; a Vit set, a Pow set, etc.

To say;

Is kinda not correct. It is that.
    thats why i said it

at most all you''d do is hunt a dungeon for a sword to salvage the sigil or the rune from an armor piece

thats about it

running dungeons for specific pieces of armor based on stats will most of the time be inefficient
    The Original Ganksta

Well, they are sidegrades in a certain fashion. Differing sets do effect damage type differently.

The "hunting for them" thing can't be found in anything I wrote. Kinda bringing that on yourself, I think.

First off, I'll say that people are constantly underestimating the power of cosmetic items on a game avatar. The vocal few may scoff, but the majority are known to break monitors with wads of cash just to have that DJ Sona skin.

And that's just it, really. For PVP and WvW players the game is about the competition; people will come back to a game over and over if they enjoy, whether there is progression of any shape, size or form. Relevant examples include chess, basketball, golf, Ghost Stories, Dominion and de_dust (Why. Won't. You. Die???????). The cosmetic customisation is the icing that appeases those of us who enjoy having that unique look, or the limited edition skins, etc.

The aspect of GW2 that will likely feel stale in the days to come will be the PVE portion, as with all such games. This is attributed to the lack of variation due to limitations of game AI, i.e. once you know the run of a dungeon or Dynamic Event, things become clockwork. The tourniquet to this problem has been typically the gear treadmill: get better gear to clear boss to get better to clear bigger boss, etc, etc, etc, essentially an extension of character progression. Hence people playing GW2 only for the PVE will essentially hit a brick wall once they've hit end-game, at which they can just as easily set the game aside as start an alt or delve into the other aspects of GW2. Whether or not ArenaNet decides to cater to these players is yet to be seen, although it's certain competitions like Diablo 3 and TERA Online will be on their SWOT matrix for months to come.

Finally,

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    I think of it more as a new hobby than simply a game.
    I'm just surprised there needs to be a distinction here...
    Last edited by Ojimaru; 2012-05-06 at 05:34 AM.

I always felt MMOs like WoW only keep you coming back only because that shiny new gear you want is unobtainable unless you keep coming back. There was nothing other than time keeping me from getting that new dagger, or tier piece, and that always bothered me a little.

I realize that in games nowadays, there is always a little bit of a grind, but in general, you are not grinding the exact same mob for weeks on end. Modern FPSes are a good example of a grind that you really never notice because in general you are enjoying each game, rather than playing each game so you can enjoy having a nice gun. LoL and even WoW PvP I feel fall into that same category. If GW2 can feel like that, then I won't be so much as motivated to get gear but playing to get gear.