Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    I need your help finding some good headphones!

    I want to get some new headphones mainly for gaming and music. I basically have a budget of 50 dolars or so.What are your recommendations?

    Thanks for reading!

  2. #2
    Samson SR850 or Superlux 668B.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

  3. #3
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Regina, Saskatchewan
    Posts
    4,307
    I use the Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset for my all purpose use and love them. The noise cancelling is fantastic.

  4. #4
    I"ve had many headphones as I was a sponsored gamer back in Counterstrike Source.

    Steelseries 5H-V2

    Icemat Siberia

    Speedlink Medusa 5.1

    Sharkoon xx 5.1

    Razor Barracuda

    And a few others..

    They were all kinda "meh", just headsets. Not really comfortable on my head after hours of gaming.. the microphones were just "ok". Not amazing.
    Steelseries 5H-V2 came close as a favourite headset but that vanished after I experienced the "Sennheiser PC 350 Gaming Headset".



    It has been my favourite for over two years now. I've bought two of em as I accidentally killed my first one (thanks to my dog). Christal clear microphone and you can wear it for hours on your head without it being annoying. Noise cancellation is awesome and it really shuts down environment sounds incase you're going to lan.

    Huge recommendation <3
    Last edited by Nunally; 2012-05-05 at 05:11 PM.
    signature for drael. V2 Colored version here

  5. #5
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    637

    AKG GHS1
    Over-ear, foldable
    $79



    Samson SR850
    Semi-open, 32 ohm
    $54.99

  6. #6
    Bloodsail Admiral Miss Unify's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Misaki City <3
    Posts
    1,202
    http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_...dphones_500155

    Comfiest headphones I've ever owned, really good sound quality and a nice long lead. They're only around £15 in the UK, so I'm assuming relatively as cheap in whichever country you are posting from. really sturdy too!

    The actual ear pieces have slight rotation, so they really fit well.

  7. #7
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    216
    I recently bought http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...-gaming_504120 and I must say they are brilliant in every way They offered me way more than I could have hoped for with that price tag. The mic shuts out pretty much all noise, even when my baby girl is crying 2meters away from me according to those I play with

    I don´t know what the price is in dollars as everything is a bit more expensive here in Denmark, but it should match your wallet
    Last edited by Protonet; 2012-05-05 at 07:54 PM.

  8. #8
    Great timing! I just logged on to research and ask this same question.

    I am most interested in the comfort. I had used a headset playing wow for 5 years, I wore it with only one side on, dj style I guess.. so I could still hear what was going on around me.

    Well I always wore it on the same side and that ear developed a very mild (not noticeable to anyone but me) case of cauliflower ear. Just some strengthened enlarged ares of cartilage. I do not want it to get any worse obviously, I may wear my new headphones on the other side this time, but still I don't want it ever being a problem again....

    so comfort 1st. If they have a strong frame that holds them tightly against your head this is probably not comfortable on your ear, you're essentially smashing your ears with some of those full size monsters that don't actually fit around the outside of your ear.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwnyboy View Post
    Great timing! I just logged on to research and ask this same question.

    I am most interested in the comfort. I had used a headset playing wow for 5 years, I wore it with only one side on, dj style I guess.. so I could still hear what was going on around me.

    Well I always wore it on the same side and that ear developed a very mild (not noticeable to anyone but me) case of cauliflower ear. Just some strengthened enlarged ares of cartilage. I do not want it to get any worse obviously, I may wear my new headphones on the other side this time, but still I don't want it ever being a problem again....

    so comfort 1st. If they have a strong frame that holds them tightly against your head this is probably not comfortable on your ear, you're essentially smashing your ears with some of those full size monsters that don't actually fit around the outside of your ear.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Mo...6255073&sr=8-1

    Very comfortable, can be easily worn over only one ear.

  10. #10
    Thanks for the link. I need one with a microphone too though

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwnyboy View Post
    Great timing! I just logged on to research and ask this same question.

    I am most interested in the comfort. I had used a headset playing wow for 5 years, I wore it with only one side on, dj style I guess.. so I could still hear what was going on around me.

    Well I always wore it on the same side and that ear developed a very mild (not noticeable to anyone but me) case of cauliflower ear. Just some strengthened enlarged ares of cartilage. I do not want it to get any worse obviously, I may wear my new headphones on the other side this time, but still I don't want it ever being a problem again....

    so comfort 1st. If they have a strong frame that holds them tightly against your head this is probably not comfortable on your ear, you're essentially smashing your ears with some of those full size monsters that don't actually fit around the outside of your ear.
    Exactly. Comfort is #1. Hence I recommended my headset, Sennheiser PC350. I have quite big ears... so all the other "cheaper" headsets really hurt alot after a few hours of gaming. this one... i seriously never have issues with even if i game for an entire day. Even forgot i was wearing it at times lol.
    signature for drael. V2 Colored version here

  12. #12
    comfort is pretty much great in ALL circumaural headphones. It's only lacking in the ones that arent meant for hifi, but rather made for gaming. Also, do note, that when people recommend you something like the sennheiser 201, they only do it because it's the best they have personally used, not because it's an universal great. I really suggest getting the samsons/superluxes with some velour earpads to match. if not, i would have to point you in the general direction of headfi, you'll get much more information there then here, anyways..
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

  13. #13
    Stood in the Fire Riaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    361
    Turtle Beach just came out with a new headset the Earforce Z11 and they are only 40$. I currently use the Z6A and from experience in the past Turtle Beach head sets are amazingly well made.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunally View Post
    Exactly. Comfort is #1. Hence I recommended my headset, Sennheiser PC350. I have quite big ears... so all the other "cheaper" headsets really hurt alot after a few hours of gaming. this one... i seriously never have issues with even if i game for an entire day. Even forgot i was wearing it at times lol.
    Excellent. So they fit all the way around the outside of your ear rather than resting on them?

    Sounds like they're good quality too as far as noise cancelation on the mic. I love getting the perspective from people who have tried a bunch of products.. and it sounds like you've tried a bunch.

    thanks! I'll move those to the top of my list and do a little more research before I decided anything else you can say about this set? how soft/firm is that pad around your ear? sound quality etc?

    @ Keller. thanks for the Headfi info, I've never heard of that site, I'll check it out.
    Last edited by Pwnyboy; 2012-05-05 at 10:31 PM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwnyboy View Post
    Excellent. So they fit all the way around the outside of your ear rather than resting on them?

    Sounds like they're good quality too as far as noise cancelation on the mic. I love getting the perspective from people who have tried a bunch of products.. and it sounds like you've tried a bunch.

    thanks! I'll move those to the top of my list and do a little more research before I decided anything else you can say about this set? how soft/firm is that pad around your ear? sound quality etc?

    @ Keller. thanks for the Headfi info, I've never heard of that site, I'll check it out.
    Sennheiser is a premium brand in the audio world specialised in producing headsets with outstanding audio quality. I'm sure this fact alone should make you excited about the quality that this product can deliver.

    The pad is not resting on my ear its actually resting all over it. Completely covering my ears. The pads are made from fake leather filled with a soft foam cushion. Its very comfy

    Can't say much else, the product just speaks for itself!
    Last edited by Nunally; 2012-05-05 at 11:11 PM.
    signature for drael. V2 Colored version here

  16. #16
    I have horrible luck with breaking headphones so I have to take durability into consideration. Before I got my current headphones I would always end up broken headphones every 2-3 months. I've had these headphones for the last 5 years now with no problems:



    KOSS TD85
    Signature not found

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    I use the Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset for my all purpose use and love them. The noise cancelling is fantastic.
    Yes. I'm using the exact same headphones. I owned a set before and liked them so much that when they eventually (after a good few years), I got another.

  18. #18
    I just thought I'd add some info I found on the Sennheiser PC350. I guess it takes a bit of power to power these headphones and that they will sound terrible if you don't use an aftermarket sound card.

    so I'm going to add a sound card to my build... but I think I will be going with the Sennheiser PC360, I like the idea of the open air design, so you can hear yourself talking and a bit of what's going on around you. I assume the open air design will also reduce sweating.

    so regarding sound cards... do you guys think a Creative Labs SB X-Fi Xtreme is enough? Or should I go with something like a Asus Xonar D1 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz?

    thanks!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwnyboy View Post
    I just thought I'd add some info I found on the Sennheiser PC350. I guess it takes a bit of power to power these headphones and that they will sound terrible if you don't use an aftermarket sound card.

    so I'm going to add a sound card to my build... but I think I will be going with the Sennheiser PC360, I like the idea of the open air design, so you can hear yourself talking and a bit of what's going on around you. I assume the open air design will also reduce sweating.

    so regarding sound cards... do you guys think a Creative Labs SB X-Fi Xtreme is enough? Or should I go with something like a Asus Xonar D1 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz?

    thanks!
    Hey Pwnyboy. I'm very happy that you've made your choice. The 360 is a sweet design for sure.

    A soundcard is now a luxury product and not neccessary. The latest motherboards can handle sound like no other before.
    It can and wil however impact your audio experience if you do choose to take one in your build
    Last edited by Nunally; 2012-05-06 at 06:59 AM.
    signature for drael. V2 Colored version here

  20. #20
    I picked up a pair of the Turtle Beach Ear Force X12's a couple of months ago and I've enjoyed them. They're comfortable, the sound quality is good (in my opinion at least), and they have the option of connecting to a console, if you have one, for audio and chat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •