Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why is There a Max Party Size Exactly?

So the maximum number of players your party can have is 5, to be expected, that's the way it usually is after all.

...But with GW2's difficulty-scaling, is it really necessary to limit players like this? I know it's going to be a bit difficult for me, at least, to play with 6-7 other people at once.
    Is there some other reason that they decided to go with 5, or is it simply for tradition's sake?
    RIP Gunther, he wanted orange, the world gave him lemon-lime.

You don't need to be in a group for world content, parties are basically only for doing personal story and dungeons.
    The only noticeable advantage while doing DEs and whatnot is the little dot on your map, and party chat. You can emulate party chat by creating a guild and putting your friends in it, if need be, as you can be in multiple guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    You don't need to be in a group for world content, parties are basically only for doing personal story and dungeons.
    The only noticeable advantage while doing DEs and whatnot is the little dot on your map, and party chat.
    Indeed my good sir. Hmmm, quite. *takes sip of tea.*

The reason max party size is 5 is because dungeons are 5 players. GW2 doesnt really need a party system other than trying to locate each other. If your playing in a group of 6-8 just have 2 parties and stay together. Im pretty sure you map shows nearby players during events.

Can you give a reason why you need a larger party size for events?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    The only noticeable advantage while doing DEs and whatnot is the little dot on your map, and party chat. You can emulate party chat by creating a guild and putting your friends in it, if need be, as you can be in multiple guilds.
    Said perfectly.

Party size is just an easy way of scaling grouped content to a level that Anet can make sense of with the combat system. Fairly obvious and not too dissimilar from every MMO from NWN onwards.

you don't even need to party in the first place, everyone gets credit for participating in kills so they get xp and loot each. Party is just to get a party chat basically and like the poster said above, to do dungeons and personal story's with friends. In WvW if you want to go large scale, there is the commander thing you can buy that just gives the leader visibility on the map and special chat color to lead ppl, can also be used in PvE but the main feature is for WvW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    The reason max party size is 5 is because dungeons are 5 players. GW2 doesnt really need a party system other than trying to locate each other. If your playing in a group of 6-8 just have 2 parties and stay together. Im pretty sure you map shows nearby players during events.

Can you give a reason why you need a larger party size for events?
    I don't need one of course, but it'd be quite a bit more convenient to be able to have a larger party and know where everyone is while out in the world.
    Of course, if guilds let you see where your guildmates are as well as providing a chat, that's good enough for me.
    RIP Gunther, he wanted orange, the world gave him lemon-lime.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Being in a party however does help facilitate the only way to trade in the game and that is mailing as you can simply right click the portrait of someone in your group and mail them loot.. why they chose to do that is beyond me but that would be another discussion and is simply another advantage of being partied together that I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    Being in a party however does help facilitate the only way to trade in the game and that is mailing as you can simply right click the portrait of someone in your group and mail them loot.. why they chose to do that is beyond me but that would be another discussion and is simply another advantage of being partied together that I can think of.
    You can't do that with people not in your party?
    I suppose that's why I heard complaints about not being able to right click a portrait to send mail like you could for trading when you quite clearly could.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't do that with people not in your party?
    I suppose that's why I heard complaints about not being able to right click a portrait to send mail like you could for trading when you quite clearly could.
    Not sure to be honest as I only did this in the group of friends that played with me over the weekend. It tooks us a bit to figure out as we wanted to trade each other drops we came across so everyone got the best of it. I never looked for a mail box in game as it comes automatically to you in game, which is nice, while your runnin about but the lack of a option to trade made us scratch our heads abit. However seein as its pretty much identical I guess it doesnt matter all that much if thats how the game wants to handle it. It just stuck out to me as another reason to be grouped up.

Can you target someone and mail them something by right clicking there portrait when you have them targeted? I also assume there are mail boxes in game too yes?

Not sure to be honest as I only did this in the group of friends that played with me over the weekend. It tooks us a bit to figure out as we wanted to trade each other drops we came across so everyone got the best of it. I never looked for a mail box in game as it comes automatically to you in game, which is nice, while your runnin about but the lack of a option to trade made us scratch our heads abit. However seein as its pretty much identical I guess it doesnt matter all that much if thats how the game wants to handle it. It just stuck out to me as another reason to be grouped up.

Can you target someone and mail them something by right clicking there portrait when you have them targeted? I also assume there are mail boxes in game too yes?
    There are no mailboxes due to mail going directly to you instantly. Why would you need a mailbox? :P

And yes, you could right click a player's portrait to send mail to them. I do not THINK they had to be in your party, I don't see a reason why they would add that restriction. You should have noticed it while looking for a trade option.. no?

10+ Year Old Account
    And yes, you could right click a player's portrait to send mail to them. I do not THINK they had to be in your party, I don't see a reason why they would add that restriction. You should have noticed it while looking for a trade option.. no?
    No cant say as we did but we spent the entire BWE grouped up so I never tried to send something to anyone who wasnt in our group. The only way it would work is if you could do that when you targeted someone randomly. I can see them not allowing it if not in a group due to harassment issues but I have no idea as it never occurred to us to try nor did we have a reason to however it could be a slight hassle if that is the case when trying to mail stuff to people not present to target.. I mean what if you want to mail something to someone not online?
    Last edited by Vexies; 2012-05-05 at 05:19 PM.

No cant say as we did but we spent the entire BWE grouped up so I never tried to send something to anyone who wasnt in our group. The only way it would work is if you could do that when you targeted someone randomly. I can see them not allowing it if not in a group due to harassment issues but I have no idea as it never occurred to us to try nor did we have a reason to however it could be a slight hassle if that is the case when trying to mail stuff to people not present to target.. I mean what if you want to mail something to someone not online?
    Then you would type out their name, as you would typically send mail. The 'send mail' option from right clicking was simply a convenience, I'm assuming to prevent complaints about how much easier it is to trade someone instead of typing out their name to send mail. You were still able to open your mail window at any time, which for all intents and purposes acted as a mailbox. You could send mail, check old mail.. there is no reason for a physical mailbox in GW2. ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Then you would type out their name, as you would typically send mail. The 'send mail' option from right clicking was simply a convenience, I'm assuming to prevent complaints about how much easier it is to trade someone instead of typing out their name to send mail. You were still able to open your mail window at any time, which for all intents and purposes acted as a mailbox. You could send mail, check old mail.. there is no reason for a physical mailbox in GW2. ^^
    Ah very cool, ok well then I guess that is that =P Like I said we spent the whole time in group and I only messed with the mail feature enough to send stuff to my group mates but that makes perfect sense. The RP side of me would like to see mail boxes in the game in capital cities simply to make it more believable but eh Its not a big deal.

In PvP, they have the squad. Why not in PvE?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think party size should be racially based.
    3 Norn to 8 Asura sounds fair.

Ah very cool, ok well then I guess that is that =P Like I said we spent the whole time in group and I only messed with the mail feature enough to send stuff to my group mates but that makes perfect sense. The RP side of me would like to see mail boxes in the game in capital cities simply to make it more believable but eh Its not a big deal.
    The RP side of you gets to see a little pigeon fly into your shoulder every time you get mail. How it carried that full set of plate armor is up to you to decide. Who knows, perhaps they are Asuran inventions using highly sophisticated portal technology to shrink items to a size manageable to the pigeon, which you keep in your pocket until you throw the bird at your friend when sending him a greatsword and 250 ore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Asura should not take up a party slot if there is a Charr or Norn to carry them on the shoulder present.
    Or a human, but it should take both of the humans hands replacing all weapon skills with "Chuck Asura"

FML

"A Squad is a PvE/WvW tool for grouping large numbers of players together to pursue a particular goal.
    Squad commanders can invite new players to a squad by selecting their characters. Players can join an existing squad by selecting the squad icon above the heads of characters in the squad.
    Squad commander
    To become a squad commander, purchase and activate a Commander's Compendium from a Master Strategist; once enabled, the character can become a squad commander at any time. However, each character must acquire their own manual."

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Squad

So basically, you can have a 5 man party and be part of a squad. So I guess it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Wouldn't it be awesome if an Asura can ride a Charr like Master Blaster?

With a "Who runs barter town??" emote. Would be amazing.