Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Hust fyi, rumor is they are prepping a $99 xbox bundle
    I thought Dragon Age 2 was innovative and groundbreaking!
    lol >.>

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looopy View Post
    Hust fyi, rumor is they are prepping a $99 xbox bundle
    Kind of you to post, but I guess you didn't read any of the other posts other than the OP's post, seeing this has already been said ^^

But thanks anyway...

there will not be a 99$ console, its 99$+360$+tax. which is the exact same price it is now. you might think it is a good deal but you fail at math. posting half of the info is worthless.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocktroop View Post
    there will not be a 99$ console, its 99$+360$+tax. which is the exact same price it is now. you might think it is a good deal but you fail at math. posting half of the info is worthless.
    While it is more expensive in the long run, it is also a solution to people who can't fork out $200+ in one go. Selling it for $99 + $15 a month for 2 years is a genius move, not only does it make it 'affordable' for people who can't give out a larger sum in one go, but can afford the initial $99 and $15 a month, it also makes MS more money ^^

I don't see the problem, and where did people fail at math? No one said it was cheaper overall (not that I remember atleast, cba to go read 1st page posts again), all I remember people saying is there will be a $99 edition coming out with a $15 a month 2 year mandatory subscription. Bear in mind the subsription contains Gold access, so your '99+360+tax' comment should also calculate the little saving you make in not needing to buy a gold subscription for 2 years, which is 120$ (if you buy 2x 1 year in one go, $60 a year). So we're speaking really off 99+360(-120)+tax (although I didnt pay any tax when I bought mine? not that I know off atleast).

(I read it includes a gold subscription, if this is wrong, please correct me).
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-05-06 at 06:37 PM.

Deleted
    The newer Xbox ("slim" versions) are much quieter than the old ones. I have both, and with the new one I hardly bother to install games anymore because the drive makes much less noise anyway. The only thing I have on there are arcade games and trailers and such.

As has been said before, some exclusives are great. And I agree on Symphony of the Night. Got it for 400 MSP a few weeks ago, though I think it's 800 again now, but it's definitely worth the money. Crackdown is also great, though I enjoyed the first one better than the second one. Was my first 1000/1000 (or 1250/1250)

@d3v: that Gold "discount" only applies if you were going to get Gold anyway I guess most people enjoy playing online, I usually prefer single player or local co-op.

There really isn't anything that won't perform better on a ps3 or PC that you can only get on an xbox.

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    Quick question to someone who has both an xbox and ps3, or has used both "frequently". I have an xbox360 and my mate has a ps3... and I for the life of me can not use the ps3 controllers without getting hand cramp when i'm playing at his place! Anyone else have this problem?
    It probably depends on a person. I find Xbox controller more uncomfortable, although probably because I'm used to PS one.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    I don't own the 360 as you can tell but I do get hand pain on ps3. I think the controllers are designed for little hands. The Xbox classic and 360 controllers are much more comfortable IMO.

Back OT: how important is hard drive? I have 40gig on ps3 and I have to delete crap everytime I get a new game due to day 1 patches and what not. I think the 320gig on the SW bundle is pretty decent. Are there demos like ps3 that I can stockpile? I should add the SW bundle is more for my wife than me.
    With the PS3 hard drive size is important, because you have to install all of the games on it, which take up alot of space, but with the Xbox it is optional. I have never installed a game on my xbox and the load times are perfectly fine. I have an 120 gb Xbox Elite and with over 20 games for it I still have around 96 gb and I have 3 games that I bought off the Xbox marketplace. Unless you are really into arcade and downloadable games, then 40gb should be perfectly fine.

As for why you should buy the Xbox itself, well I love my PS3 and my Xbox, and I've ultimately come to this conclusion. PS3 for Single player, and Xbox for multiplayer. The PS3 exclusives i.e. Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Uncharted, and InFamous are mainly single player games, whereas the xbox's exclusives i.e. Gears of War, Halo, and Forza are all about the multiplayer. Both systems have great exclusives and are worth the buy, especially since the xbox is like 100 bucks now. I'd say just buy a regular xbox with a decent amount of space (40 or 60 gb) and buy kinect if that's your thing. The star wars bundle is nice and all, but it really isn't necessary.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Olafski View Post
    @d3v: that Gold "discount" only applies if you were going to get Gold anyway I guess most people enjoy playing online, I usually prefer single player or local co-op.
    Aye but the $15 a month subscription you need to pay if you get the $99 version gives you Gold, you don't have the option not to get Gold, its included in the $15 a month you pay, therefore you can in theory 'discount' it from the total price you're paying over the mandatory 2 years, seeing as you don't need to buy Gold on top of the $15 a month you have to pay. Is that what you meant or am I misunderstanding?

theres no reason to not own a 360 anymore, even if you put the gaming aspect aside. and blu ray? pfft. with increasing bandwidth to everyone's homes, blu rays will be gone soon enough too, with everyone streaming their 1080p content online.

15+ Year Old Account
    There are at least 10-20 exclusive games per console worth playing.

With the price of the systems the way they are now (you don't need the hard drive space past like 20 gb, trust me), buy the cheapest version and have fun.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

15+ Year Old Account
    Aye it seems the latest xbox is a lot quieter than the previous version, so maybe a big harddisk isnt needed. However, when I checked prices here in Belgium, they were doing some anniversary offers etc, where you got 4 games with the console, however 3 of the 4 were just download codes, hence you'd be needing harddisk space to download the games on too. just pointing it out... luckily the bundle I am talking about also had a 250GB harddrive :P

to add to that, thinking of buying my replacement now. I can't really use it yet as my room is being painted for the minute and I don't have a TV to play on :P (could use my PC monitor but pff cba with all the hassle of constant cable switching, and also I have no where to put the console in the room im currently sleeping in). Anyone know if prices are gonna go up/down or stay stable for say, the next month?

edit: The bundle I was talking about is the xbox 10 year anniversary bundle... anyone any idea how long that will still be sold for? I'd hate to wait a month to buy it and then it's suddenly no longer for sale...
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-05-07 at 02:29 AM.

I would definitely also agree that the hard drive is still a great thing to have, but probably dont need anything above the 250.

I would just wait until the next generation launches. (Hopefully) this generation of console gaming will be over soon. It's long overdue to get some new consoles.

15+ Year Old Account
    Meh i'll probably just wait for the next gen consoles indeed. If I'm honest, when I was able to play on my 360 I didn't much anyway... don't think that would change now.

i'll save myself some money

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    I don't own the 360 as you can tell but I do get hand pain on ps3. I think the controllers are designed for little hands. The Xbox classic and 360 controllers are much more comfortable IMO.

Back OT: how important is hard drive? I have 40gig on ps3 and I have to delete crap everytime I get a new game due to day 1 patches and what not. I think the 320gig on the SW bundle is pretty decent. Are there demos like ps3 that I can stockpile? I should add the SW bundle is more for my wife than me.
    The HD is very important on the 360. And yes there are a ton of demos released nearly weekly for stuff you can try.

@OP -> Its a personal choice with your money. No one can tell you what to do. MS is not releasing a console this year, I'm guessing they will at end of year 2013, but that is a guess since nothing is set in stone at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Well, I wouldn't buy a console just for a couple of games, especially if I already owned one. But if you feel like you'll enjoy the few game's you'll play on it, go for it. I can't imagine the 360 being that expensive anymore.
    I disagree, a few good games can entirely justify the purchase of a console. I bought a Gamecube towards the end of it's life, picked up Mario Sunshine, Windwaker, Metroid Prime and the RE remake. Totally justified the buy in right there. Hell, I got a special edition disk that came with the Gamecube with LOZ 1 + 2, OOT and Majora's Mask which was worth it.

I plan to do the same thing with PS3 (I have an xbox). I'll wait for the price to crash when the "new hotness" comes out and then pick up a few exclusives like the uncharted series.

Deleted
    Aye but the $15 a month subscription you need to pay if you get the $99 version gives you Gold, you don't have the option not to get Gold, its included in the $15 a month you pay, therefore you can in theory 'discount' it from the total price you're paying over the mandatory 2 years, seeing as you don't need to buy Gold on top of the $15 a month you have to pay. Is that what you meant or am I misunderstanding?
    Yes, I think a miscommunication did happen What I meant was that if you weren't planning to get Gold anyway, the $99 deal doesn't sound so great anymore. You still get free Gold, but since you weren't planning on using that anyway, you can't honestly discount that.

If you do plan to play online it's probably a good deal though =)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Olafski View Post
    Yes, I think a miscommunication did happen What I meant was that if you weren't planning to get Gold anyway, the $99 deal doesn't sound so great anymore. You still get free Gold, but since you weren't planning on using that anyway, you can't honestly discount that.

If you do plan to play online it's probably a good deal though =)
    I see it as, seeing as you are 'forced' to get gold, you can discount the price of what gold would have cost anyway, seeing as you have it. Doesn't matter if you were gonna get Gold or not, you have it, no choice in the matter :P

Deleted
    I see it as, seeing as you are 'forced' to get gold, you can discount the price of what gold would have cost anyway, seeing as you have it. Doesn't matter if you were gonna get Gold or not, you have it, no choice in the matter :P
    Well, that's just silly.

If I were to compare two jars of peanut butter, one costs $5 and the other costs $8 comes with a free fish that would otherwise cost $4. Knowing that I hate fish and will just throw it out, will that make the second one a better value?

I'd say value is in the eye of the beholder, e.g. the one buying it. If they value that Gold subscription it might be worth it, but if you're not going to use it you're just spending more on something you can get cheaper.

Not to mention this deal is for a 4GB Xbox 360. You don't need a lot of space but 4GB is pushing it in my opinion. And finally it's a cleverly disguised "loan", which you probably shouldn't take for consumer electronics anyway