Page 1 of 2
LastLast

It is cheaper to plead guilty than it is to hire a lawyer?

One time I had to pay $1800 in Legal fees to avoid being found guilty of a Misdemeanor that would have cost $200.

Does anyone else think that this legal system is a bit crooked when it is better to admit guilt to something that you didn't do rather than maintain your innocence?

And yes, I did ask for a court appointed lawyer, and was told that since I had a job that I could pay for my own Lawyer. This Judge told several other people in the Court Room the same thing. He even told a guy who was drawing unemployment that since he had income that he could afford his own lawyer. :-\
    Last edited by Radux; 2012-05-05 at 09:21 PM.

Not one thing in this post sounds accurate
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeff View Post
    Not one thing in this post sounds accurate
    It is true, the maximum fine for the offense could have been $1,000, but my Lawyer even told me that for a first offense with or without a lawyer, the mandatory fee is always $200. He told me this to ease my mind (I was stressing out pretty bad); that even if I was found guilty that I definitely wouldn't pay the maximum fine.
    Last edited by Jersovic; 2012-05-05 at 08:43 PM.

Deleted
    If you're guilty just admit it and move on instead of wasting your own and other people's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hezo View Post
    If you're guilty just admit it and move on instead of wasting your own and other people's time.
    You should probably read the actual post instead of just the thread title.

As for the actual topic, if you're found innocent then you should fight for the court to also pay your legal fees as they wasted your time and money by claiming you were guilty.

I don't think that's the point of the thread.

That is the whole point. I wasn't guilty at all, and I was found innocent. I had complete strangers who were willing to testify on my behalf because they saw the whole thing and thought it was so barbaric. The cop actually threatened to taser a woman (whom I had never met) and arrest her too when she asked why he was tasering me since she had watched the whole thing and I hadn't done anything wrong at all.

Yet I had to pay $1800 out of my own pocket to prove that I had never done anything simply because I did not want to admit guilt to a crime I never committed.

the thing is if you're found guilty, you're a "criminal" and i assume you'll have a harder time to get a job/flat/etc (depends on the crime ofc, but who'd fight because of a parking ticket :P)

Is this in the US?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    Is this in the US?
    Seeing as the numbers quoted are in dollars... there's a good chance.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    What was the exact court decision? If you were found not guild you should be able to claim your lawyers fees + compensation for false arrest/jail.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Deleted
    That does seem fucked up to be honest. But isn't that the Lawyer that sets the price for him, and not the government? I could be wrong, but in that case, then the problem doesn't lie within the government... Unless you mean the government should raise the fees to be more than the Lawyer cost regardless of Lawyer cost :P

EDIT: What's your age and race by the way? I know people says racism isn't such a big issue anymore.. though i disagree .p

In my opinion, it was worth paying the lawyer. Sure you paid nearly 10x what you would have paid if you just plead guilty, but in return you saved your reputation, and you saved yourself the trouble of having to explain why you have that charge on your criminal record, or why you even have a criminal record at all.

Basically you paid to avoid future frustration and disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by shearx View Post
    In my opinion, it was worth paying the lawyer. Sure you paid nearly 10x what you would have paid if you just plead guilty, but in return you saved your reputation, and you saved yourself the trouble of having to explain why you have that charge on your criminal record, or why you even have a criminal record at all.

Basically you paid to avoid future frustration and disappointment.
    Of course, otherwise he probably wouldn't have done it... but why did he have to in the first place?

Breaking news, many lawyers are assholes and the US legal system is sometimes ineffective!

More shocking developments at 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahippo View Post
    We are gunna use some dust brown to paint some happy little tornados here, and one more here. Then we are going to use some white to paint happy little wind blasts here. Just dab the brush along the base of al akir, and there you have it. THE GAYEST FIGHT EVER

Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    Of course, otherwise he probably wouldn't have done it... but why did he have to in the first place?
    He had to do it because of unfortunate circumstances or someone's prejudice. The fact of the matter is that he paid for defense against something he didn't do, and sometimes that costs more than just caving in.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Seeing as the numbers quoted are in dollars... there's a good chance.
    I doubt you want to know the Currency of say, Sweden.

Deleted
    Dont lawsuit costs generally end up being paid by the losing party, in this case the state?

Yes the legal system is twisted as hell. It's a cash for justice system. Think of it this way, a cop pulls me over. Searchs my car because he finds a syringe( Im a insulin dependent diabetic) throws some trash from my car on the ground. Cop finds nothing, tells me to pick up the trash. I refuse. I get arressted for 3rd disorderly conduct and recieve a 400$ ticket for literring. I have to pay 50$ to get out of jail, then go to court. Where after explaining the situation, am told he will reduce the ticket to a 100$ but he will not drop the charges. So I have no choice but to hire an attourney. The attourney says there is no way to provide a legal defense against disorderly conduct. All case law on DO3rd result in conviction. Attourney goes to court, gets charges dropped. But, I had to spend 2500$ for my "justice"

Deleted
    The legal system in the US is a joke, would do wonders to get some new higherups who'd replace the messed up police force