Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazila View Post
    Wouldn't say "married' couple friendly, maybe co-op friendly.

I got my husband into WoW, but we don't play with each other due to our interests in the game are completely different. (He likes making level 60 twinks, I like endgame raiding. /shrug)
    Which isn't a problem in GW2; at the very least while you're leveling your main, you could help him level up his next alt by "de-leveling" (Temporarily, of course) to his level in a lower zone and getting EXP yourself as well (since EXP is NON-EXPONENTIAL, every level up takes the same amount of time, roughly)
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Which isn't a problem in GW2; at the very least while you're leveling your main, you could help him level up his next alt by "de-leveling" (Temporarily, of course) to his level in a lower zone and getting EXP yourself as well (since EXP is NON-EXPONENTIAL, every level up takes the same amount of time, roughly)
    and the loots scales up to your actual level, so that's no problem either

I'm going to play GW2 with a very good friend of mine whom I've been gaming with for about 11 years so far now.

If they fix the overflow stuff, this game will be very suitable to play together with someone. So yeah, we're not a married couple but still this game would work out very well for duo-play!

Expecially because you don't have to hold your horses if the other logs out, you can still play with her in the content of her level (even 50 levels below, so to say) and have competitive play! So no more one shot mowing through mobs.

I'd say give it a shot, it's a one time fee you pay anyway ;]
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

My wife and I played beta together and it was great. We can co-op through the personal stories, we don't have to be the same level, or worry about being on the same quests like in other games.

The bad part! You can't get into PvP battlegrounds together. We both entered at the same time and got into the same BGs, but we were on opposite teams. Also, Overflow server can seperate you. Hopefully these are just beta only issues that'll get changed.

All in all, it's a really great game for couples, better than most of the post-WoW MMOs thanks to non-linear 'questing' and level scaling.

Quote Originally Posted by GozerTC View Post
    Greetings!

My wife and I play MMO's together and we're currently playing Tera after playing WoW, AION, Rift, and SWTOR.

While we're enjoying Tera and the action combat the game AROUND the combat is rather... bleh. In fact my wife doesn't even want to level alts anymore because "we've already done that quest."

So my big question is, how 2-player friendly is GW2? In Tera we can do most everything 2 player though you keep hitting 5 mans ever 5 levels or so. (Luckily it's not been hard to get into 5 mans) In WoW 2 players are pretty much the same as 1. Rift was fun 2 player especially with the Rift mechanic though dropping and reforming the party was annoying. SWTOR worked great 2 player until our storylines told us to go to different planets to continue them. Though it was great to play in each others stories.

Also how does GW2 combat compare to Tera and WoW? (My wife's 2 biggest combat backgrounds) Is it somewhere between the two?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    This game is very couple friendly and heres why. My girlfriend and I have played games like WoW, Diablo, and other games of that nature and when one of us goes to school or work the other one will want to play. When that happens someone gets left behind and you slowly drift apart in your game play. Im a raider in WoW and my gf likes to level but it started with both of us playing together. What this game does right is scaling. You can go play on your own and meet up with your significant other and still face a challenge in your gameplay. You can do anything in the game together at any level. Its one of the things that we saw and said.. oh yes... we will be playing this together for a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to kind of add my personal experience onto the end here: This beta weekend was a little tough to play with those you wanted to on account of the server issues, but when we did get together, the girl and I had some amazing fun. The aggro/threat system is a little different than you might be used to so it definitely keeps you on your toes. The dodging system, while active, is very straining on your resource for it (energy?) so you have to make sure you're using your class's utility at all times.

The dynamic events and many quests will scale to the appropriate level of the people participating so those are always fun in groups. I didn't get high enough to try dungeons, but everything else, including PVP, was an absolute blast. Hope to hear back from you guys later.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

The main shitty part about leveling together in other MMO's is "wait so what quest are you on" "crap I'm on the next one" "what are we doing!"

In GW2 there will never be this problem. All "quest" are group events, all loots and exp is shared, all content is scaled. You will never have to worry about out-leveling each other or spending 3 hours on a quest because each mob only drops 1 item 20% of the time and you both need 30.

The story mode of dungeons is very forgiving to group composition so you will always be able to find a dungeon group even if you both play the same class.

This is a game meant to play with others it was designed entirely around an active multiplayer community from the ground up while having all the great story and action of single player RPG's.

I hope you have fun with you wife! Wish my girlfriend was a gamer xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Only problem seems to be in structured pvp, where you cant queue for games in a party and therefor not be sure to play together. Wierd if it will work that way tbh
    YET. They are implementing a group option they have just not gotten around to it yet.

It is very very easy to bring someone alone in the open world and in your personal story. The game is practically made for that.

However, we were very disappointed in the PVP, because we always play together (with as often as we like to pvp, we don't necessarily have 3 others to make a rated team with... and no, WvW does not count as PVP to us.). It's a little complicated getting into the same game, but more specifically, on the same team.

Quote Originally Posted by Balfire View Post
    The main shitty part about leveling together in other MMO's is "wait so what quest are you on" "crap I'm on the next one" "what are we doing!"

In GW2 there will never be this problem. All "quest" are group events, all loots and exp is shared, all content is scaled. You will never have to worry about out-leveling each other or spending 3 hours on a quest because each mob only drops 1 item 20% of the time and you both need 30.

The story mode of dungeons is very forgiving to group composition so you will always be able to find a dungeon group even if you both play the same class.

This is a game meant to play with others it was designed entirely around an active multiplayer community from the ground up while having all the great story and action of single player RPG's.

I hope you have fun with you wife! Wish my girlfriend was a gamer xD

I look forward to this! We've hit the whole "I've already done that quest" SO MANY TIMES before. :\

The overflow server situation is known by ArenaNet, they are working on it. Hopefully that will be resolved by the time the next BWE arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by GozerTC View Post
    I look forward to this! We've hit the whole "I've already done that quest" SO MANY TIMES before. :\
    Me and my gf (and a lot of other people) who played the BWE experienced issues with the Events that you might run into, aswell as with alts.
    Events are chains that usually start at a neutral point, then shit happens and the even is succesfull or failed. If failed it moves a step towards one end of the spectrum, if there was succes it swongs to the other end of the spectrum.

To give an example. Even happens, defend a lumber mill. Win and your next event is "Attack the Centaurs" fail and the Centaurs overrun the Lumbermill and you lose it, making the next even "take back Lumbermill".
    The events are still bound within their range of fail and succes, swinging from one event back to another. But, at somepoints you will meet the end. Say you succeed with all the events at some point you get to the last event. Something like "We captured the Centair basecamp, now defend it as they try and recapture it". Succes means itll just happen again in 5-10min.

And here comes the problem i experienced. I got into the BWE after much connection issues and servers being down, but a lot of other people did get to play. So i was now after the first zerg of people, along with another zerg of people who also just now got in (it was pretty busy...) And all i found was Events pushed to their final stage. And then you run into problems with being underleveld, simply because i got far less Events to do then people before me who did get the whole chain on everything. Which leads me with no choice but to repeat these events over and over.

I defended a captured camp from centaurs four times, and i mustve protected a lumber mill from Tool Thieves 3x and blown up their cave 3x aswell. I killed the Elite Boar and Elite Queen Bee (group events) atleast 3x each. I did every other event, full zone completion, and yet i was still underleveled.

I hope they sort this out.

Deleted
    Well I play MMO's with my partner (we originally met in WoW) and we had an awesome fun time in the last BWE. The only issue we had was when we ended up in an overflow server for a zone and we were separated even though we were in the same party. However Arena net has stated that was a bug so that won't be an issue next beta/at release.
    Out of all the MMO's I've played I've never had such fun! One of the great things about GW2 is that playing with others doesn't hinder you, its actually fun. Though its not always necessary. There is no mob tapping. If anyone helps you fight an enemy you all get exp and your own loot drop whether you are in the same party or not.
    The combat is great! While it pays off to have some skill, provided you remember to dodge out of dangerous attacks and use your abilities wisely, it shouldn't be too difficult for you both to enjoy. Its very customisable with regard to abilities once you unlock the various weapon skills and utility slots on your bar. Unlike games like WoW, you aren't forced into a particular rotation or spec to get the most out of your character and every class has their own heal abilities of which you have a specific slot on your action bar for. The personal story instanced areas you can enter with your party so you and your wife could join each other regardless of which race/character choices you made regarding your story. The only thing I noticed is that you need to be in the same zone upon entering in order for it to ask people in your party if they wish to enter with you.
    From early on in the game after the tutorial part when you first enter game, you can quite easily get to the start area of any of the 5 races, simply by visiting your racial capital city and taking the Aura gate to Lion's Arch which has a hub of gates leading to each of the 5 cities.
    Sorry for the wall of text I hope some of what I typed is helpful.

almost everything can be done with 2 people in non instanced pve

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Me and my gf (and a lot of other people) who played the BWE experienced issues with the Events that you might run into, aswell as with alts.
    Events are chains that usually start at a neutral point, then shit happens and the even is succesfull or failed. If failed it moves a step towards one end of the spectrum, if there was succes it swongs to the other end of the spectrum.

To give an example. Even happens, defend a lumber mill. Win and your next event is "Attack the Centaurs" fail and the Centaurs overrun the Lumbermill and you lose it, making the next even "take back Lumbermill".
    The events are still bound within their range of fail and succes, swinging from one event back to another. But, at somepoints you will meet the end. Say you succeed with all the events at some point you get to the last event. Something like "We captured the Centair basecamp, now defend it as they try and recapture it". Succes means itll just happen again in 5-10min.

And here comes the problem i experienced. I got into the BWE after much connection issues and servers being down, but a lot of other people did get to play. So i was now after the first zerg of people, along with another zerg of people who also just now got in (it was pretty busy...) And all i found was Events pushed to their final stage. And then you run into problems with being underleveld, simply because i got far less Events to do then people before me who did get the whole chain on everything. Which leads me with no choice but to repeat these events over and over.

I defended a captured camp from centaurs four times, and i mustve protected a lumber mill from Tool Thieves 3x and blown up their cave 3x aswell. I killed the Elite Boar and Elite Queen Bee (group events) atleast 3x each. I did every other event, full zone completion, and yet i was still underleveled.

I hope they sort this out.
    First the "I already did that quest" problem he is referring to is that he can't help his partner complete the quest not that he has to do it over.

Second the events have a much faster reset time for launch and beta so the masses and complete them and report bugs. The reset time will be toned down after the population/testing is over. Its likely yo will see very few early events fail while zones are jam packed overflow servers and all but at launch people will be much more spread out over servers and 5 starting zones (instead of three) and over time when everyone isn't level 1 this will occur also.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very couple friendly!

My husband came back as I leveled my Charr Guardian on his Thief who was level 11, and he was pushed back down to level 4. And man did those mobs give him a run for his money at times. So luckily there wasn't any "face melting" and "owning" of the small Dynamic Events nearby with him around.